• Who is online

Talk about everything else here!

Which one it's your favorite PlayStation console?

1 - PlayStation One
1
13%
2 - PlayStation 2
1
13%
3 - PlayStation 3
0
No votes
4 - PlayStation 4
4
50%
5 - PlayStation 5
0
No votes
6 - PlayStation Portable
1
13%
7 - PlayStation Vita
1
13%
 
Total votes : 8

Postby Mr.KonaSoni » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:10 am

PlayStation One turns 25 years.

Once again we are celebrating other important milestone, this time for the original PlayStation.

It seems that Sony is rather celebrating the trademark instead of just the first console, though.

I want to believe the story behind it's creation it's general culture in plain 2019, I could rather watch a development story or documental about the PS2.

Anyway I certainly think the PSX it's a good console but I also want to be sincere and admit that I am not sure about a lot of games for the console.

Some icons born and other unique games with a sole game were part of the catalogue for the console, just like the N64, I could like to analize which games are timeless and which ones are product of the 90s.

My favorite games?

- Most that Konami released for the console.
- Crash franchise.
- Metal Slug ports
- Pac - Man World it's a cool game.
- Pepsiman
- In the Hunt.

I don't remember much more, I could like to meet more games, though.

While that I prefer the PS2, the PSX is a good console with a solid catalogue of games.

Happy Anniversary.

Also if you are wondering I hope this it's the last anniversary that we are celebrating this year.

Image
My list of recommendable Konami games from decent to great.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

My Blog

https://cheapbrokenpizza.blogspot.com/
This is the list of the Konami games that I have in my collection, Thank you Konami for everything, I am a real Konami hero!!.
https://vgcollect.com/mrkonasoni


573!!
Image
User avatar
Mr.KonaSoni
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:00 pm
Location: There is a place in hell for someone with a cursed blood as mine, its name is... throne.


Postby Mr.KonaSoni » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:13 am

I am not very fond of the first PlayStation but I can't stop thinking how much I actually love the PlayStation 2.
My list of recommendable Konami games from decent to great.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

My Blog

https://cheapbrokenpizza.blogspot.com/
This is the list of the Konami games that I have in my collection, Thank you Konami for everything, I am a real Konami hero!!.
https://vgcollect.com/mrkonasoni


573!!
Image
User avatar
Mr.KonaSoni
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:00 pm
Location: There is a place in hell for someone with a cursed blood as mine, its name is... throne.


Postby DrLight66 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 am

PS2>>>>>>>>> PS1>>>>>> PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3

Indie games have brought back old-school gaming and made the PS4 one of my favorite systems of all time, but the PS1 has so many better all time greats imo.

The PS3 was a true low point for Sony. While there were a lot of great games for it that came out years after the system's disastrous launch, most of the time they graphically and performance-wise were horrible. Luckily most of them received remasters, but where's my 4k remaster of Ridge Racer 7 and Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1 (with Reverie/Resurrection dlc) darn it
If a game doesn't run at 60fps then it isn't worth playing.
User avatar
DrLight66
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: New York


Postby BuraddoRun » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:20 am

I was a Nintendo faithful ever since the NES. I proudly bought the N64 at launch and was confident it'd be better than the PS1, deciding I only needed 1 new console. Then I walked into Gamestop and watched a demo for Final Fantasy VII. I preordered the game that very day, and bought a PS1 soon after, along with Wild Arms. I made it my goal to beat Wild Arms before FF7 released, and I did. Then FF7 came and I stayed up too late on many school nights to beat it. Those were my 1st 2 RPGs on the PS1, and I loved them both.

Other memorable PS1 games for me:

Resident Evil
Monster Rancher
Ridge Racer 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II
Kagero: Deception II
Parappa the Rapper
Fighting Force
Elemental Gearbolt

I also had my PS1 modded so I could play imports and bootlegs. Some notable imports I bought were:

Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
Rival Schools United by Fate
Bust a Move (uncensored and better than the localized Bust a Groove)
Ghost in the Shell
Macross Digital Mission VF-X
Tobal 2
Einhander
Metal Gear Solid (Collector's Edition or whatever they called it that came with a big box, art book, and t-shirt)

Man, the PS1 was really a great system! Some of the imports I bought eventually made it stateside, but I had no regrets getting them early (or uncensored). I had many more great games that I didn't list above, but yeah, I had a lot of fun with the PS1.
Image
Image
User avatar
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 7643
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:13 pm
Location: Texas, United States


Postby Best1989 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 am

PS1 ftw.

I played it a lot back in the day, both the original and the PSOne. I can't count how many hours I spent playing Final Fantasy, Grana Turismo, Metal Gear, Tekken, Tomb Raider, Syphon Filter, Alundra, Ridge Racer, among many others.
Image
User avatar
Best1989
Global Mod
 
Posts: 4866
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 10:41 am
Location: Here and there


Postby kupomogli » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:14 am

So PS1 is my favorite console of all time, but s for the best console, I was still thinking the PS1, but after this Black Friday and the amount of games I've added to my PS4 library I think there is an undeniable leader now. There are games on the PS1 and PS2 that cannot be matched in quality or have yet to be at the very least, but what PS4 delivers is a large amount of games, many of which are a high quality and many different genres some of which the PS1 and PS2 can't match simply because old hardware and features that never existed in the first place.

So anyways, the PS1 was my first and favorite of all time. Back in the day, I grew up with both an Atari and an NES both, my family had both for as long as I remember(I was born in 1983, can't remember anything before the age of four though.) So my entire life before the PS1 I was a Nintendo fan.

There are some JRPGs and even WRPG developed JRPG games that are as good as some of the PS1 games of old but the overall genre has suffered immensely compared to how it was in from the golden era of JRPGs on the SNES and PS1. JRPGs actually still had a life on the PSP and DS, but as soon as those died, the 3DS has most of the better JRPGs while both Vita has a few great ones, but overall a genre that is nearly dead.

Outside of JRPGs though, PS1 had so many other great games in so many different genres or styles of the genre like not just racing, but car combat with great games like Twisted Metal 2 and Rogue Trip. The system is just amazing and so many great games.

//

I'd like to also give the PSP some love though as well, the PSP is my favorite portable followed by everything Nintendo has released starting with the DS and the 3DS, the Vita is my least favorite portable if comparing just Nintendo and Playstation.

The PSP brought back what it felt like to be a Playstation fan on the PS1. The reason I say this is because while the PS3 was mostly shooters with a few other genres here and there, the PSP had a massive variety of great games on many different genres, and the system had a lot of great JRPGs. People call it a port machine, but those people are blind fanboys who had no idea what they're talking about because while there are a lot of great remakes and ports, there are an extensive amount of original games. The same people who called the PSP out as a port machine are the die hard Nintendo fanboys who'd never buy anything but a Nintendo console and are praising the Nintendo Switch because it can run games like Doom, The Witcher 3, and an extensive amount of ports because like the Playstation Vita and unlike the PSP, the Switch truly is a port machine. We may as well say the Wii U was a port machine as well, atleast for the rare amount of games that it actually got, most of them were multiconsole titles or late ports, the PSP though, early on and that's it.

Despite being a Nintendo owner, I quickly became a fanboy of Playstation and ever since then it's been my favorite first party publishing platform. I love Playstation. I will say that I'm unbiased though as I will and have criticized the stupid stuff Sony has done, the fact that the Vita is one of my most disappointing purchases of all time, especially my throwing more and more money at it which has done nothing but further my disappointment of the portable, etc.
User avatar
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 1780
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:07 pm


Postby BenoitRen » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:10 am

I was a Sega Saturn owner back in the day, and only looked at the PlayStation when I got a PlayStation 2 many years later. It's a good system, but not great, because a lot of the games that the PS1 is fondly remembered for were not published here in Europe.

So far I think I've only played two games: Koudelka and Mega Man 8.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:00 am
Location: Belgium


Postby mr. Hyde » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:31 am

I think its like this for me

1. vita
2. ps1/psp (yes shared 2nd spot)
4 ps2
5 ps3




10 ps4
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2387
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm


Postby Fries » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:24 pm

If we're doing rankings, it's probably... PS4 > PS3 > PS2 > PS1 for me.

I obviously appreciate all of them, and if I was being 'objective' I would put the PS2 above the PS3 just for the quantity and quality of games, but the PS3 came at a pretty definitive moment in my life and has so many great memories associated with it. Plus, there are a lot of neat gimmicky things done with the PS3 simply because that generation lasted so long and they were trying out new stuff.

And as kupomogli mentioned, the PS4 library is extremely diverse. Not to mention PSVR as a bonus. The PS4 slowly crept up as my favorite of the bunch, and I never expected that to be the case.
User avatar
Fries
Forum Mod
 
Posts: 4377
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:23 pm


Postby thegrifter » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:49 pm

ps4 > ps3 > psvita > ps1 > ps2

Never owned a psp.
I know I'm in the minority, but the ps2 didn't have that many games that interested me, and I've still never fully owned one (I did have the ps3 with backwards compatibility). I never had one growing up though, as I started with the GameCube and went to the ps3, which could be the problem.
User avatar
thegrifter
Physical Warrior
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:29 am
Location: US of A


Postby fgsfds100 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:15 am

In terms of what I actually play: PS4>>>>>>>>PS3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS1>>PS2

In terms of which have the games I hold in the highest regard: PS1>>>>>>>>>>PS3/4 mostly tied>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS2

PS2 was my "I don't really care about gaming" phase.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 pm


Postby mr. Hyde » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:43 am

Fries wrote:If we're doing rankings, it's probably... PS4 > PS3 > PS2 > PS1 for me.

I obviously appreciate all of them, and if I was being 'objective' I would put the PS2 above the PS3 just for the quantity and quality of games, but the PS3 came at a pretty definitive moment in my life and has so many great memories associated with it. Plus, there are a lot of neat gimmicky things done with the PS3 simply because that generation lasted so long and they were trying out new stuff.

And as kupomogli mentioned, the PS4 library is extremely diverse. Not to mention PSVR as a bonus. The PS4 slowly crept up as my favorite of the bunch, and I never expected that to be the case.
I think the ps4 libary is actualy pretty lackluster especialy when I look at exclusives its pales in comparison to ps1 2 and 3
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2387
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm


Postby Fries » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:27 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:
Fries wrote:If we're doing rankings, it's probably... PS4 > PS3 > PS2 > PS1 for me.

I obviously appreciate all of them, and if I was being 'objective' I would put the PS2 above the PS3 just for the quantity and quality of games, but the PS3 came at a pretty definitive moment in my life and has so many great memories associated with it. Plus, there are a lot of neat gimmicky things done with the PS3 simply because that generation lasted so long and they were trying out new stuff.

And as kupomogli mentioned, the PS4 library is extremely diverse. Not to mention PSVR as a bonus. The PS4 slowly crept up as my favorite of the bunch, and I never expected that to be the case.

I think the ps4 libary is actualy pretty lackluster especialy when I look at exclusives its pales in comparison to ps1 2 and 3

...Didn't you choose the Vita as your favorite Sony console? The system with the least amount of exclusives and smallest available physical library of the bunch? I love my Vita, but that's a pretty hypocritical argument and if those are your sole parameters for determining the best system then logically the Vita should be at the very bottom of your list.

You're also judging the completed* (PS3 still gets the occasional third party release) libraries of the past home consoles in comparison to one that's ongoing. For example, in many ways The Last of Us was the PS3's swan song and one of its most highly regarded releases. I imagine this situation will be exactly the same with The Last of Us Part II for the PS4 as this generation closes out.

Additionally, the PS4 has remasters and remakes that are the definitive way to play a many of the biggest releases that are on the PS1-3, Vita, and PSP. Again, as much as I love the PS3 and Vita, a good portion of their biggest titles are largely obsolete now and are best enjoyed on PS4. This situation could very well be repeated for the PS5 with better versions of many of the PS4's best titles produced, but we're also not discussing hypotheticals here.
User avatar
Fries
Forum Mod
 
Posts: 4377
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:23 pm


Postby mr. Hyde » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:08 pm

Fries wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:
Fries wrote:If we're doing rankings, it's probably... PS4 > PS3 > PS2 > PS1 for me.

I obviously appreciate all of them, and if I was being 'objective' I would put the PS2 above the PS3 just for the quantity and quality of games, but the PS3 came at a pretty definitive moment in my life and has so many great memories associated with it. Plus, there are a lot of neat gimmicky things done with the PS3 simply because that generation lasted so long and they were trying out new stuff.

And as kupomogli mentioned, the PS4 library is extremely diverse. Not to mention PSVR as a bonus. The PS4 slowly crept up as my favorite of the bunch, and I never expected that to be the case.

I think the ps4 libary is actualy pretty lackluster especialy when I look at exclusives its pales in comparison to ps1 2 and 3

...Didn't you choose the Vita as your favorite Sony console? The system with the least amount of exclusives and smallest available physical library of the bunch? I love my Vita, but that's a pretty hypocritical argument and if those are your sole parameters for determining the best system then logically the Vita should be at the very bottom of your list.

You're also judging the completed* (PS3 still gets the occasional third party release) libraries of the past home consoles in comparison to one that's ongoing. For example, in many ways The Last of Us was the PS3's swan song and one of its most highly regarded releases. I imagine this situation will be exactly the same with The Last of Us Part II for the PS4 as this generation closes out.

Additionally, the PS4 has remasters and remakes that are the definitive way to play a many of the biggest releases that are on the PS1-3, Vita, and PSP. Again, as much as I love the PS3 and Vita, a good portion of their biggest titles are largely obsolete now and are best enjoyed on PS4. This situation could very well be repeated for the PS5 with better versions of many of the PS4's best titles produced, but we're also not discussing hypotheticals here.
there are more reasons but the ps4 is the most lackluster libary by far at atleastt the vita has verry little shovelware.

the ps4 has only 2 or 3 exclusives I would love to play. there are more decent games but nothing realy that springs out. also i favour portables over consoles as well so that ahs to do with it.

for me personaly there is just evrry little to like about it especialy since the console is pretty much an digital only console.

the vita has that issue a lot as well but not as much. its just everything with the vita design etc and I tried keep nostalgia out of it because if I kept nostalgia in vita would be lower
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2387
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm


Postby kupomogli » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:22 pm

@mrhyde

During the sixth gen, most games on the Xbox and Gamecube were on the PS2 as well as an absurd amount of exclusives, but that didn't mean those games didn't exist. Two of my favorite racers of all time are Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 and Test Drive Unlimited. Because the games are multiconsole does it mean that these games don't exist? No, it just means that you're likely to play them on your preferred console.

The Xbox One and Switch have far more games being pushed onto them than the PS2 competition, so it's only natural that there would more multiconsole games and less exclusives. There are far less exclusives that's for sure, and the amount of multiconsole games don't fill that void, but again, if the PS4 is your preferred console, then you're going to purchase the games on that console and you're only going to purchase exclusives on something that's not your preferred console.

I ONLY purchase games I have an interest in, and I sell games that I don't care for. The games that I've played and plan to keep or the games that I haven't played but I have an interest in is over 240 games and I intend to purchase more. That's more games than I own on any console.
User avatar
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 1780
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:07 pm


Postby BuraddoRun » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:
Fries wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:
Fries wrote:If we're doing rankings, it's probably... PS4 > PS3 > PS2 > PS1 for me.

I obviously appreciate all of them, and if I was being 'objective' I would put the PS2 above the PS3 just for the quantity and quality of games, but the PS3 came at a pretty definitive moment in my life and has so many great memories associated with it. Plus, there are a lot of neat gimmicky things done with the PS3 simply because that generation lasted so long and they were trying out new stuff.

And as kupomogli mentioned, the PS4 library is extremely diverse. Not to mention PSVR as a bonus. The PS4 slowly crept up as my favorite of the bunch, and I never expected that to be the case.

I think the ps4 libary is actualy pretty lackluster especialy when I look at exclusives its pales in comparison to ps1 2 and 3

...Didn't you choose the Vita as your favorite Sony console? The system with the least amount of exclusives and smallest available physical library of the bunch? I love my Vita, but that's a pretty hypocritical argument and if those are your sole parameters for determining the best system then logically the Vita should be at the very bottom of your list.

You're also judging the completed* (PS3 still gets the occasional third party release) libraries of the past home consoles in comparison to one that's ongoing. For example, in many ways The Last of Us was the PS3's swan song and one of its most highly regarded releases. I imagine this situation will be exactly the same with The Last of Us Part II for the PS4 as this generation closes out.

Additionally, the PS4 has remasters and remakes that are the definitive way to play a many of the biggest releases that are on the PS1-3, Vita, and PSP. Again, as much as I love the PS3 and Vita, a good portion of their biggest titles are largely obsolete now and are best enjoyed on PS4. This situation could very well be repeated for the PS5 with better versions of many of the PS4's best titles produced, but we're also not discussing hypotheticals here.
there are more reasons but the ps4 is the most lackluster libary by far at atleastt the vita has verry little shovelware.

the ps4 has only 2 or 3 exclusives I would love to play. there are more decent games but nothing realy that springs out. also i favour portables over consoles as well so that ahs to do with it.

for me personaly there is just evrry little to like about it especialy since the console is pretty much an digital only console.

the vita has that issue a lot as well but not as much. its just everything with the vita design etc and I tried keep nostalgia out of it because if I kept nostalgia in vita would be lower


Yeah, I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, but I have to agree with Fries & kupomogli here. It's fine to have system preferences and even to dislike certain systems, but saying the Playstation 4 has a "lackluster library" is honestly just crazy. It has almost all of the Vita's big releases, all the multi-platform releases this generation, complete/definitive editions from previous generations, and a good amount of exclusives as well.

Again, you not liking most of the exclusives is fine. You not liking that a lot of the games require patches or have DLC is fine. You rating other Sony systems above it is fine. All of that makes sense. It's just that the main reason you posted in this topic, the library of games, doesn't make much sense. It's also far from "digital only," so that doesn't make sense either. Have you looked in the Collecting part of the forum where we post pics of physical indie titles? That thread is full of tons of physical PS4 releases. Yes, there's a lot of shovelware, but there are lots of great games as well. Then you have the LRG, SRG, Red Art, Play-Asia, etc. indie releases. Then you have the many retail releases as well. Many, many of these games are complete or are fully playable without patches. I hate patches, and hate incomplete games, but a game with 1 patch isn't complete trash just because that patch isn't on disc. The game may still be great without it. Plus, many Vita games have patches, and ALL the systems of this generation and many from the last, have patches. Even the 3DS has patches and DLC.

Anyhow, I voted PS4, and can't change my vote (I would if I could), but the reason I checked that box is because the PS4 has a ton of good games, it has backwards compatibility with the PS1 (emulation, but still), it plays Blu-ray movies, it allows me to chat with friends, watch streaming (I buy tons of movies but streaming is the new cable TV for me, and I watch it too), and play online with friends. I couldn't do most of that with the PS1 or PS2. Oh yeah, and the PS4 is region-free!

But yeah, if I could change my answer, I'd probably go PS2. It had a ton of great games, was backwards compatible with the PS1, and yes, didn't have DLC/patches. It was a time when multi-platform releases existed, but not as much as today. That system, and even moreso the PS1, existed in an arguably better time period for great video games. It was a time of creativity & innovation, artistry and pride, wonder and discovery, and yeah, exclusives. Today, those things have, for many developers, been replaced by fast $$$. I think that has more to do with it, at least for me, but I suspect you as well, than the actual merits of the systems themselves. The VITA, you've said yourself, is your videogame swan song. And yeah, it helps that it is a cool little machine that looks and feels nice, and is portable. :D

So yeah, PS2 or PS1 (very, very close), for me, because of when and what they meant then. But the PS4 is pretty amazing, despite what devs have done by releasing incomplete games. But even those incomplete games have given me quite a bit of enjoyment.
Image
Image
User avatar
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 7643
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:13 pm
Location: Texas, United States


Postby BenoitRen » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:00 am

Fries wrote:Additionally, the PS4 has remasters and remakes that are the definitive way to play a many of the biggest releases that are on the PS1-3, Vita, and PSP.

For PS2, PS3 and PS Vita, yes, but PS1 and PSP? For PS1 I can only think of the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon remasters, and in the case of Crash Bandicoot the originals are still the best way to play because they botched Crash's collision. As for the PSP, I found relatively few of them, and only a couple are of big releases.

Also, I would file the emulated PS2 games under backwards compatibility, not remasters.

EDIT: Forgot about the low-effort Final Fantasy remasters. But there the originals are still the best way to play, too.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:00 am
Location: Belgium


Postby Best1989 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:30 am

Crash Team Racing and MediEvil also come to mind.
Image
User avatar
Best1989
Global Mod
 
Posts: 4866
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 10:41 am
Location: Here and there


Postby BuraddoRun » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:42 am

BenoitRen wrote:
Fries wrote:Additionally, the PS4 has remasters and remakes that are the definitive way to play a many of the biggest releases that are on the PS1-3, Vita, and PSP.

For PS2, PS3 and PS Vita, yes, but PS1 and PSP? For PS1 I can only think of the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon remasters, and in the case of Crash Bandicoot the originals are still the best way to play because they botched Crash's collision. As for the PSP, I found relatively few of them, and only a couple are of big releases.

Also, I would file the emulated PS2 games under backwards compatibility, not remasters.

EDIT: Forgot about the low-effort Final Fantasy remasters. But there the originals are still the best way to play, too.


For PS1, we have Resident Evil 2 and the upcoming RE3, both remakes in the vein of the GameCube's RE1 remake, which is also on PS4. Final Fantasy 7 remake is also coming, and for all we know the original game may come as a bonus on the disc. There's also the Medievil remake.

Final Fantasy Type 0 HD is a great PSP remaster. I actually really like that game. PaRappa the Rapper is another remaster. I think they found it was the PSP version rather than PS1, but either way.
Image
Image
User avatar
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 7643
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:13 pm
Location: Texas, United States


Postby Fries » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:00 pm

So to add to Crash 1-3, Crash Team Racing, Spyro 1-3, MediEvil, PaRappa the Rapper, Resident Evil 1-3, Final Fantasy VII Remake (at least Part I), and Final Fantasy Type-0 that were already mentioned, there is also Patapon, LocoRoco 1/2, and Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep.

As for Crash 1-3 and FFVII-IX being inferior, those are going to be up to personal preference.
User avatar
Fries
Forum Mod
 
Posts: 4377
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:23 pm


Postby BenoitRen » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:02 pm

When you talk about "biggest releases", I'm not thinking of games like Patapon and LocoRoco. In terms of PSP to PS4 remasters, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep are the only big releases I've found.

Isn't Crash Team Racing more like a sequel or something?

Final Fantasy VII Remake isn't even out yet. Who knows it'll be released on the PS5 in the end.

Fries wrote:As for Crash 1-3 and FFVII-IX being inferior, those are going to be up to personal preference.

When a remake/remaster has problems that the original does not, that's not up to personal preference.
  • Crash Bandicoot's collosion box being changed makes the games play objectively worse, because jumps that were no problem in the original are now harder.
  • Final Fantasy VII on PS4 is a port of the inferior PC version, upscaled to pillarboxed 1080p. The biggest problem is that battle menus operate at the same frame rate as the 3D battle elements (which is 15 FPS), where in the original they were 60 FPS. This is especially noticeable during Limit Breaks (astute readers will recognise that this is the same flaw that's present in Final Fantasy VIII Remastered). As for the graphics, what's made out of polygons looks clean, but pre-rendered backgrounds look really bad. There's also a music loopi bug (fixed on Switch, but not PS4 as far as I know).
  • Final Fantasy VIII Remaster has already been discussed elsewhere, so I won't repeat that. But again, not up to preference.
  • Final Fantasy IX I can't find as much info on, but it at least also has the music loop bug.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:00 am
Location: Belgium


Postby mr. Hyde » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:33 pm

BuraddoRun wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:
Fries wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:
Fries wrote:If we're doing rankings, it's probably... PS4 > PS3 > PS2 > PS1 for me.

I obviously appreciate all of them, and if I was being 'objective' I would put the PS2 above the PS3 just for the quantity and quality of games, but the PS3 came at a pretty definitive moment in my life and has so many great memories associated with it. Plus, there are a lot of neat gimmicky things done with the PS3 simply because that generation lasted so long and they were trying out new stuff.

And as kupomogli mentioned, the PS4 library is extremely diverse. Not to mention PSVR as a bonus. The PS4 slowly crept up as my favorite of the bunch, and I never expected that to be the case.

I think the ps4 libary is actualy pretty lackluster especialy when I look at exclusives its pales in comparison to ps1 2 and 3

...Didn't you choose the Vita as your favorite Sony console? The system with the least amount of exclusives and smallest available physical library of the bunch? I love my Vita, but that's a pretty hypocritical argument and if those are your sole parameters for determining the best system then logically the Vita should be at the very bottom of your list.

You're also judging the completed* (PS3 still gets the occasional third party release) libraries of the past home consoles in comparison to one that's ongoing. For example, in many ways The Last of Us was the PS3's swan song and one of its most highly regarded releases. I imagine this situation will be exactly the same with The Last of Us Part II for the PS4 as this generation closes out.

Additionally, the PS4 has remasters and remakes that are the definitive way to play a many of the biggest releases that are on the PS1-3, Vita, and PSP. Again, as much as I love the PS3 and Vita, a good portion of their biggest titles are largely obsolete now and are best enjoyed on PS4. This situation could very well be repeated for the PS5 with better versions of many of the PS4's best titles produced, but we're also not discussing hypotheticals here.
there are more reasons but the ps4 is the most lackluster libary by far at atleastt the vita has verry little shovelware.

the ps4 has only 2 or 3 exclusives I would love to play. there are more decent games but nothing realy that springs out. also i favour portables over consoles as well so that ahs to do with it.

for me personaly there is just evrry little to like about it especialy since the console is pretty much an digital only console.

the vita has that issue a lot as well but not as much. its just everything with the vita design etc and I tried keep nostalgia out of it because if I kept nostalgia in vita would be lower


Yeah, I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, but I have to agree with Fries & kupomogli here. It's fine to have system preferences and even to dislike certain systems, but saying the Playstation 4 has a "lackluster library" is honestly just crazy. It has almost all of the Vita's big releases, all the multi-platform releases this generation, complete/definitive editions from previous generations, and a good amount of exclusives as well.

Again, you not liking most of the exclusives is fine. You not liking that a lot of the games require patches or have DLC is fine. You rating other Sony systems above it is fine. All of that makes sense. It's just that the main reason you posted in this topic, the library of games, doesn't make much sense. It's also far from "digital only," so that doesn't make sense either. Have you looked in the Collecting part of the forum where we post pics of physical indie titles? That thread is full of tons of physical PS4 releases. Yes, there's a lot of shovelware, but there are lots of great games as well. Then you have the LRG, SRG, Red Art, Play-Asia, etc. indie releases. Then you have the many retail releases as well. Many, many of these games are complete or are fully playable without patches. I hate patches, and hate incomplete games, but a game with 1 patch isn't complete trash just because that patch isn't on disc. The game may still be great without it. Plus, many Vita games have patches, and ALL the systems of this generation and many from the last, have patches. Even the 3DS has patches and DLC.

Anyhow, I voted PS4, and can't change my vote (I would if I could), but the reason I checked that box is because the PS4 has a ton of good games, it has backwards compatibility with the PS1 (emulation, but still), it plays Blu-ray movies, it allows me to chat with friends, watch streaming (I buy tons of movies but streaming is the new cable TV for me, and I watch it too), and play online with friends. I couldn't do most of that with the PS1 or PS2. Oh yeah, and the PS4 is region-free!

But yeah, if I could change my answer, I'd probably go PS2. It had a ton of great games, was backwards compatible with the PS1, and yes, didn't have DLC/patches. It was a time when multi-platform releases existed, but not as much as today. That system, and even moreso the PS1, existed in an arguably better time period for great video games. It was a time of creativity & innovation, artistry and pride, wonder and discovery, and yeah, exclusives. Today, those things have, for many developers, been replaced by fast $$$. I think that has more to do with it, at least for me, but I suspect you as well, than the actual merits of the systems themselves. The VITA, you've said yourself, is your videogame swan song. And yeah, it helps that it is a cool little machine that looks and feels nice, and is portable. :D

So yeah, PS2 or PS1 (very, very close), for me, because of when and what they meant then. But the PS4 is pretty amazing, despite what devs have done by releasing incomplete games. But even those incomplete games have given me quite a bit of enjoyment.
ps4 libary is mostly digital with vita about half require patches ad then I am keeping it high with ps4 at least 95% require patches so the discs are more like toasters then games if you ask me.

yes 3ds games have poatches as well 5% at most and even that is tretching it because I think is lower.

then about the other functions I dont care to watch streams on my ps4 I cant play it online at all because its behind a paywall. I dont realy chat with friends during gaming either. when I walk in the avarage store and look at ps4 games (for my friend mind you) I dont realy see anything that stands out. I can only think of 3 games I genuily regret not being able to play ever because I dont own a ps4. I am sure there are some lrg releases for example I would love to play but not many at all.

I have to say though that asside from the ps4 they are all pretty close. I used to not relay like the ps3 that much but it has grown a lot on me this last year.

ps4 is just way too digital for my taste. and yes there are a ton of indie games released physicla I would LIKE but not LOVE thats the difference relay
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2387
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm


Postby fgsfds100 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:29 pm

BuraddoRun wrote:Final Fantasy 7 remake is also coming, and for all we know the original game may come as a bonus on the disc.

They should have it on arcade machines in the game so that it's both 4th wall breaking and immersive.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 pm


Postby kupomogli » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:39 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:ps4 libary is mostly digital with vita about half require patches ad then I am keeping it high with ps4 at least 95% require patches so the discs are more like toasters then games if you ask me.


Honestly, more often than not, most games are fully playable day one. I complain about patches not being on disc, but when I complain about them, I'm talking about full modes. Real content that we already know about, content that should be in the game, but the developer rushed out to meet a deadline and decided to patch it in later. Bloodstained Ritual of the Night comes to mind, all that content that we were promised, even the players names that helped fund the game aren't even on disc and were patched in later.

When a lot of people talk about updates this, updates that, they blow it out of proportion because most of the updates on the PS4 don't do any major changes, and when they do, a lot of them were never originally intended. God of War added new game plus, which is a nice quality of life change for those that want to start a new game in a harder difficulty, but do you really expect they held it back? How many games actually have a new game plus option, both now and in the past? There's not a lot of games with this feature and the game is still fully playable from beginning to end without it.

Now I did make a thread about Darkest Dungeon not even working without being patched and that's a very rare instance something like that happens. There's only a few games that the quality of the game is so bad that it was required to be patched to become playable. Darkest Dungeon because it would always crash as soon as you started it, Little Big Planet 3 because in the first world it crashed around 20 times, Secret of Mana also crashed a fair amount of times without any patches. I usually try games without patches, and most games though don't really have any issues. There might be a bunch of patches with bug fixes or some random change, but putting in a good amount of time prepatch and hen post patch, sometimes I don't even notice a difference despite usually putting 10 hours or more before I allow the games to patch.

For the most part there's not too much of an issue with patches tbh. Think about this. Fnal Fantasy 1 on NES has spells that don't work, spells that don't work as ntended, and a broken hit % that also effects magic. I love Final Fantasy 1 but it took until Final Fantasy Origins to fix these issues. Super Castlevania 4 has some noticeable framerate issues, Mega Man X has massive framerate issues, most Mega Man games on the NES have framerate issues, etc, etc, etc. Honestly, current gen systems have much more stable framerate than many past gen systems.

If you're going to hate on a console, give legitimate reasons. Like, I hate the Wii U because it now only has two exclusives worth owning since Tokyo Mirage Sessions has just been ported. Nearly every game worthwhile has been ported. The worst purchase Ive ever made in gaming.
User avatar
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 1780
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:07 pm


Postby panzermanathod » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:22 pm

I've played a fair bit of PS1, 2 and 4 games (I missed the entire PS360 generation and only *today* got a PS3). I also own a Vita, but no PSP.

I cannot rate whether I prefer PS1, 2, or 4, they simply offer me different things. And, as an aside, I too cannot agree on the notion of PS4 having a "lackluster library". As for games being digital, In a number of cases it's a matter of whether or not someone can really afford/bother to make and market physical copies... that's kinda part of the point places like LRG and others have (Not to mention how certain people complain when a game they don't like gets a physical release).

Also I kinda see patches as a double edged sword. A lot of people make the mistake that patching broken or unfinished games was a recent thing. I like Crash Twinsanity, but if you told me that game was "finished" I'd say you didn't know what you were talking about. Granted that's not getting into games from the 80's that were sold to the public in a purposefully unbeatable state. Or just a volitile state.


But that aside, I'd be here for a while if I discussed all the games I liked or found interesting on the systems.
Image
User avatar
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:50 pm


Postby mr. Hyde » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:28 am

kupomogli wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:ps4 libary is mostly digital with vita about half require patches ad then I am keeping it high with ps4 at least 95% require patches so the discs are more like toasters then games if you ask me.


Honestly, more often than not, most games are fully playable day one. I complain about patches not being on disc, but when I complain about them, I'm talking about full modes. Real content that we already know about, content that should be in the game, but the developer rushed out to meet a deadline and decided to patch it in later. Bloodstained Ritual of the Night comes to mind, all that content that we were promised, even the players names that helped fund the game aren't even on disc and were patched in later.

When a lot of people talk about updates this, updates that, they blow it out of proportion because most of the updates on the PS4 don't do any major changes, and when they do, a lot of them were never originally intended. God of War added new game plus, which is a nice quality of life change for those that want to start a new game in a harder difficulty, but do you really expect they held it back? How many games actually have a new game plus option, both now and in the past? There's not a lot of games with this feature and the game is still fully playable from beginning to end without it.

Now I did make a thread about Darkest Dungeon not even working without being patched and that's a very rare instance something like that happens. There's only a few games that the quality of the game is so bad that it was required to be patched to become playable. Darkest Dungeon because it would always crash as soon as you started it, Little Big Planet 3 because in the first world it crashed around 20 times, Secret of Mana also crashed a fair amount of times without any patches. I usually try games without patches, and most games though don't really have any issues. There might be a bunch of patches with bug fixes or some random change, but putting in a good amount of time prepatch and hen post patch, sometimes I don't even notice a difference despite usually putting 10 hours or more before I allow the games to patch.

For the most part there's not too much of an issue with patches tbh. Think about this. Fnal Fantasy 1 on NES has spells that don't work, spells that don't work as ntended, and a broken hit % that also effects magic. I love Final Fantasy 1 but it took until Final Fantasy Origins to fix these issues. Super Castlevania 4 has some noticeable framerate issues, Mega Man X has massive framerate issues, most Mega Man games on the NES have framerate issues, etc, etc, etc. Honestly, current gen systems have much more stable framerate than many past gen systems.

If you're going to hate on a console, give legitimate reasons. Like, I hate the Wii U because it now only has two exclusives worth owning since Tokyo Mirage Sessions has just been ported. Nearly every game worthwhile has been ported. The worst purchase Ive ever made in gaming.
if they require a patch they arent complete its that simple take a game series like assasins creed for example unplayable without I dont know how many patches. if they use patches to add extra modes like new game plus the original game isnt coomplete and yes I think in most cases they held that back because in most cases its paid dlc.

dont bring out your game till its done plain and simple. on the vita nightrap for example isnt complete I wont ever open it because when the servers die you have nothing left. at least sealed it has a bit of value. for you it might not be a real reason for me it is altough dlc is just as big an issue. without it on disc the game is incomplete. dlc is just highway roebery if you ask me.

also with ff 1 it can be explained altough theyshould have tested it back then that is relay stupid on their part. but that series is dead to me it was 1 of my favorites till they ruined it with 13 and the sequels and put the final nail in the coffin with 15. Personaly I am not realy fond of 7 8 and 9 either those 3d models just dont age well and the games look so bad its almost unplayable for me while I can still play the older ones fine.

finaly you say there isnt too much an issue with patches but there is patches should be the acception not the standard.

my reasons are legitamate for me at least. Dnt get me wrong I never said the ps4 sucked or anything it just pales in comparison to the other sony consoles.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2387
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm


Postby fgsfds100 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:02 am

mr. Hyde wrote:if they require a patch they arent complete its that simple

Absurd.

Bayonetta on PS3: in its original form, the pause/inventory menu took a few seconds to load. Given that you frequently open that menu to change weapons and make/use items, and read lore if you are so inclined, it was annoying. Not unplayable or unbeatable. Just annoying. It had 1 patch (Jan. 28, 2010) several months after release (Oct. 29, 2009 in Japan / Jan. 5, 2010 in the US) to fix that. I had already beaten it and I was almost finished with the platinum at that point (and I loved the game even before the patch). So is the disc an "incomplete" worthless coaster?

I also recall a recent game... I think it was Deer God from Red Art Games? ...which had a patch to fix the game startup icon on the home screen of the console. Nothing more. Again, does that make the physical copy an "incomplete" worthless coaster?

Is anyone seriously going to worry about those games, or games with similarly insignificant patches, when servers are shut down?

To lump that kind of thing in with consistent game breaking bugs that make something impossible to beat, or finished content that is omitted from the disc to be patched in on day 1 (such as as a form of DRM) or as paid DLC would be horribly dishonest, and being frequently intellectually dishonest (making terrible correlations, or speaking with supposed knowledge/authority while being willfully uninformed, or being a contrarian for it's own sake) will cause people to take what you say less seriously going forward. I don't know if/how seriously you want to be taken, but you do plead your case a lot, sometimes ignorantly, so...

Let's just agree to disagree that patches and "completeness" are a very grey area, and be thankful that there won't be many situations when we're competing against each other in a bidding war for a game since you're riding off into the sunset with your Vita. As you love to keep saying: you're almost done and you won't need to worry about any of this anymore. Praised be, Deer God.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 pm


Postby mr. Hyde » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:18 am

fgsfds100 wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:if they require a patch they arent complete its that simple

Absurd.

Bayonetta on PS3: in its original form, the pause/inventory menu took a few seconds to load. Given that you frequently open that menu to change weapons and make/use items, and read lore if you are so inclined, it was annoying. Not unplayable or unbeatable. Just annoying. It had 1 patch (Jan. 28, 2010) several months after release (Oct. 29, 2009 in Japan / Jan. 5, 2010 in the US) to fix that. I had already beaten it and I was almost finished with the platinum at that point (and I loved the game even before the patch). So is the disc an "incomplete" worthless coaster?

I also recall a recent game... I think it was Deer God from Red Art Games? ...which had a patch to fix the game startup icon on the home screen of the console. Nothing more. Again, does that make the physical copy an "incomplete" worthless coaster?

Is anyone seriously going to worry about those games, or games with similarly insignificant patches, when servers are shut down?

To lump that kind of thing in with consistent game breaking bugs that make something impossible to beat, or finished content that is omitted from the disc to be patched in on day 1 (such as as a form of DRM) or as paid DLC would be horribly dishonest, and being frequently intellectually dishonest (making terrible correlations, or speaking with supposed knowledge/authority while being willfully uninformed, or being a contrarian for it's own sake) will cause people to take what you say less seriously going forward. I don't know if/how seriously you want to be taken, but you do plead your case a lot, sometimes ignorantly, so...

Let's just agree to disagree that patches and "completeness" are a very grey area, and be thankful that there won't be many situations when we're competing against each other in a bidding war for a game since you're riding off into the sunset with your Vita. As you love to keep saying: you're almost done and you won't need to worry about any of this anymore. Praised be, Deer God.
lol there are grade sin how much a patch is required and eys sometimes it are small imrpovements but those are far and few between. the examplees you gave are not the standard and you know that. and copleteness isnt a grey area because that includes dlc and if not al dlc is on the disc its incomplete plain and simple nothing grey there.

and about my words from being done you say you saw me say that a lot yet you completely change it in soemthing else.

I said many times I was almost done with LRG I never said i was done with gaming or anything like that. also you know I get pissed when people put words in my mouth like you are trying to do now so cut it out.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2387
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm


Postby BenoitRen » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:47 am

kupomogli wrote:Mega Man X has massive framerate issues

First I've ever heard of it. Where?
most Mega Man games on the NES have framerate issues

I know Mega Man 3 has slowdown, but that's about it.
fgsfds100 wrote:Bayonetta on PS3: in its original form, the pause/inventory menu took a few seconds to load. Given that you frequently open that menu to change weapons and make/use items, and read lore if you are so inclined, it was annoying. Not unplayable or unbeatable. Just annoying. It had 1 patch (Jan. 28, 2010) several months after release (Oct. 29, 2009 in Japan / Jan. 5, 2010 in the US) to fix that.

The game had bad performance upon release, and when they finally patched it the game ran at 30 FPS, while the Xbox 360 version ran at 60 FPS.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:00 am
Location: Belgium


Postby BuraddoRun » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:51 am

I wish a dedicated group of folks out there would start a comprehensive patch website that would detail game performance on unpatched games. That'd be a HUGE resource that many would appreciate. And no, my answer is NO. I don't have the money or time to do it myself, despite my whining. :lol:
Image
Image
User avatar
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 7643
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:13 pm
Location: Texas, United States


Next

Return to General Discussions