• Who is online

A PS4 dedicated forum?! YES!

Postby Rick Dangerous » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Anyone else excited for this? I've been WAITING for a physical release for so long.

Jeff Minter confirmed directly to my tweet yesterday:

https://twitter.com/RickDangerous6/stat ... 3675409411

Now if only Tempest 4000 would get a VR mode....
Playing Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Xbox, 3D0, CDi, Neo-Geo and Turbografx :D
Rick Dangerous
I want to believe

Postby fgsfds100 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:32 pm

I'll stick with the urban legend because this game just doesn't get it. I mean look at what the developers stated on their own site:
The game is tuned to deliver an intense speed rush whilst also being one of the most comfortable and safe experiences you can have in VR - despite the game's fast pace, because of the way it is designed there is very little chance of encountering 'VR sickness'.

WRROOONNNGGGG.

The entire premise of the legend is that it did induce all kinds of mental issues by design.
This game just turns the legend on its head and spits on it. (replace that with a more vulgar metaphor if you so desire)

Also the whole thing about once you shine a light on the terror it loses its impact.

For those who are into it just for what it is, a psychedelic racey/shooty thing, fine. Enjoy.
But for those chasing the memes, no, you're doing it wrong too buying into this.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby Fries » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Rick Dangerous wrote:Jeff Minter confirmed directly to my tweet yesterday:

https://twitter.com/RickDangerous6/stat ... 3675409411

It was confirmed last month, ya slow poke: :P https://twitter.com/llamasoft_ox/status ... 6180580352

Douglas also mentioned it during September's Fireside Chat. But I am excited to get a physical release of the game.

fgsfds100 wrote:WRROOONNNGGGG.

What you quoted isn't even in response to the legend of Polybius, it's just describing the game experience in VR. Did you completely skip over their explanation?

"Legends tell of an arcade game that was deployed in the early 1980s, but then vanished without trace, apparently after entrancing its victims and permanently altering their mental states. In the legend Polybius was malign, twisting the minds of its addicted users. We have no desire to bend people's brains in any kind of a bad way, but given my history with lightsynths and trance-style shooters I thought it'd be fun to do an interpretation of the mythical Polybius, make it entrancing, but certainly not harmful. We hope that the only mindstate changes our game will elicit in its users willbe an exhilarating speed rush, an uplifting euphoria, and a happy smile across your mind once you take off the headset and return to real life."

It's an interpretation. And also, if this were true to the exact legend of Polybius, motion sickness would only deter players from the game and make the brainwashing/addiction more difficult to achieve. It would have to be an approachable experience to even work in the first place, as players needed to be exposed to it for long periods.
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby fgsfds100 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:43 pm

Fries wrote:What you quoted isn't even in response to the legend of Polybius, it's just describing the game experience in VR.

It's an interpretation.

I'm well aware of that. However, an "interpretation" (cop out term to deflect valid criticism) that is completely different from the origin story is lazy at best and disrespects the story at worst.

Fries wrote:And also, if this were true to the exact legend of Polybius, motion sickness would only deter players from the game and make the brainwashing/addiction more difficult to achieve. It would have to be an approachable experience to even work in the first place, as players needed to be exposed to it for long periods.

By that logic, alcohol and every hard drug that sends people into physically and/or mentally sickened states, nausea (very closely related to motion sickness), delusions, etc. would never take off, yet that is clearly not the case. Addictiveness and sickness can coexist, whether said addiction is strong enough to provoke a prolonged bender without the user ever wanting or needing to "come down", or, if the sickness is enough to make them want to come down to feel better, the addiction can cause withdrawals and cravings provoking them to do it all over again.

If the original "Polybius" is synonymous with "a mindfuck", then anyone wanting to make a tribute to it should strive for the same kind of experience. The fact that they specifically stated what I highlighted previously means they acknowledge the original premise of the legend but actively did not want to try to recreate it, which means the name is a dishonest carrot dangled in front of people who know the story and want to experience the original thing or something close to it.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby Fries » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:23 am

fgsfds100 wrote:I'm well aware of that. However, an "interpretation" (cop out term to deflect valid criticism) that is completely different from the origin story is lazy at best and disrespects the story at worst.

There is very little to the origin story to pull from, details about the supposed gameplay of the arcade title are scant and the effects vary wildly from whoever is telling it. It's a vague story with vague effects; any re-creation of the mythical game would by definition be an interpretation. No two attempts would be even remotely similar.

fgsfds100 wrote:
Fries wrote:And also, if this were true to the exact legend of Polybius, motion sickness would only deter players from the game and make the brainwashing/addiction more difficult to achieve. It would have to be an approachable experience to even work in the first place, as players needed to be exposed to it for long periods.

By that logic, alcohol and every hard drug that sends people into physically and/or mentally sickened states, nausea (very closely related to motion sickness), delusions, etc. would never take off, yet that is clearly not the case.

Hard drugs are consumed to produce a very specific effect, but have negative following consequences. If a game causes motion sickness, something that inhibits the user experience to take place, the intended effects cannot occur from the start. If someone becomes dizzy and nauseous from playing the game for 10 minutes, they can no longer play the game.

In your analogy, it'd be like getting a migraine and hangover halfway through a first beer, causing them to stop. There would be no time for any of the 'positive' effects to happen.

fgsfds100 wrote:If the original "Polybius" is synonymous with "a mindfuck"...

I don't think that's accurate. In the myth players entered altered states, but they would likely have to be positive to elicit the addictive quality. They would still need to be somewhat cognizant and retain full hand-eye coordination to continue playing the game, so they couldn't be tripping out too hard.

The side effects that could mess with someone (and perhaps be a mindfuck) didn't come until long after playing, like nightmares/hallucinations. And there is nothing indicative in the myth detailing how the style of gameplay led to these types of visions, as supposedly the game looked like a normal arcade title to outside observers. Which, again, doesn't give much to work with in terms of a re-creation.

fgsfds100 wrote:...then anyone wanting to make a tribute to it should strive for the same kind of experience. The fact that they specifically stated what I highlighted previously means they acknowledge the original premise of the legend but actively did not want to try to recreate it, which means the name is a dishonest carrot dangled in front of people who know the story and want to experience the original thing or something close to it.

Feeling queasy =/= 'mindfuck', otherwise you can just spin around quickly and equate it with playing the Polybius legend. Them trying to keep the player engaged and participating as long as possible by making it accessible in VR is far more accurate to the lore, as people would play it for so long to the point of fatigue.

The game is designed with quickfire, fast-paced gameplay intended to keep the player engaged for as long as possible (or 'addicted'), incorporating trance music and trippy visuals to produce a "euphoric" effect, and it's all in a retro inspired arcade aesthetic. That pretty much hits the major bullet points of the Polybius myth, at least to a reasonable degree. And these effects are only enhanced in VR.

What else are you expecting? An adaptation made with the visual fidelity and minimal interactivity of a 1981-style arcade title that somehow produces actual psychoactive effects?
Fries
Forum Mod

Return to PlayStation 4