• Who is online

A PS4 dedicated forum?! YES!

Postby BuraddoRun » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:34 pm

Revenge of the Bird King. And it has variant covers, even.

Apparently an LRG employee named Joe Modzeleski (superNESjoe) got them produced for some kind of promotional event that eventually got cancelled. It even has an exclusive trophy list and platinum. But it WILL NOT be sold through LRG, nor distributed to the public. He hasn't decided what he plans to do with them yet. He's given some away to industry pals, but that's it thus far.

Source: https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/stat ... 3748615168

Oh, it looks like he's doing a giveaway. Hurry if you want to enter because the contest ends sometime on October 7: https://twitter.com/superNESjoe/status/ ... 8530786304

I wonder if Soera will be able to hunt this bad boy down!
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Soera » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:05 am

Im gonna try I guess. :D We will see what happens.
Soera
Ultimate Fan

Postby FoP » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:30 am

While it certainly doesn't sound on Josh like he's (or LRG) is officially involved in it, I've got some trust problems with it since I'm pretty sure Poop Slinger was LRG's doing too.

If it's not meant to be for the public, why write about it to hype it up? I get it, Josh is glad to get the game in his collection, heck sometimes I think this entire LRG venture has been more about Josh filling up a collection of physical games, but why write it when you know you've got a lot of followers who won't be able to get it? I mean, I don't follow many gaming journalists on Twitter, but do they often boast about the press kits like that on social media? Might be more NDA's there, but overall I feel that most info about stuff like that comes out years afterwards as they show up on eBay or otherwise get into collector's hands.

Early on, people accused Limited Run - and the few similar companies that were around then - of "artificial scarcity" and stuff like that. However, for many games early on the scarcity wasn't artificial - it was the means to an end. Mass-printing the indies we saw early on would've been a huge loss as DEMAND wasn't that big either, while it seemed that way due to some runs being a bit misjudged (Night Trap) others probably were more spot-on even if selling out quickly. However, with the boys in North Carolina now being my main suspect of Poop Slinger and now this, it feels that the artificial scarcity has really kicked in now. Was the laughs of the Poop Slinger april fool's day joke really that important? Is it funny to see OCD collector's fork out $1250 for it on eBay? Some things are inherently rare, like those Nintendo World Campionship cassettes or whatever, however they fully had a purpose in what they were. For a joke like Poop Slinger, or something like this, it's just pointless rarity for the sake of it being rare.

EDIT: Also, while I guess I'm a bit ticked off it's not because I won't get this (or Poop Slinger). As I've said somewhere else I've got enough games in most genres to get by pretty fine. But while I could manage to not say much about cover variants and such, in that case at least it had some purpose even if the underlying reason probably was to sell doubles to collectors, but at least in that case it was a pretty minor detail. These things are romping that up tenfold, and if the minimum print run is something like 1000 games, then why hold onto them and possibly just seep them out AT THE SAME TIME as you're showing them off Twitter? I don't really mind people owning something I don't, but I don't like flaunting. Ever. Flaunting is what Josh and Joe are doing here. It's not even flaunting "look what I found at a yard sale for cheap", it's flaunting of something they did themselves because they're in the position they're in. Elitism. Another thing I'm not too fond of.
FoP
Ultimate Fan

Postby Best1989 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:55 am

Everything is going to be alright, mah boi FoP.

As an owner of Super Gunworld 2 I would like to get this one. Mainly to support Joe. I'm not going to pay Poop Slinger prices for it, though.
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby Soera » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:05 pm

I submitted my entry. I wonder if its going to go up for votes or if he is just going to pick one of his own.
Soera
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:26 pm

Oh, I didn't realize when I made the topic, but Joe is the developer of the game as well.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby kazumn » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:55 am

Most of these will get on the market in the near future mark my words i just hope at reasonable prices. Why sit on 1000 copies and take a huge personal financial lose in the process. Doesen't really make any sense like at all.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby Harshly_Blunt » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:29 am

FoP wrote:WIf it's not meant to be for the public, why write about it to hype it up? I get it, Josh is glad to get the game in his collection, heck sometimes I think this entire LRG venture has been more about Josh filling up a collection of physical games, but why write it when you know you've got a lot of followers who won't be able to get it? I mean, I don't follow many gaming journalists on Twitter, but do they often boast about the press kits like that on social media? Might be more NDA's there, but overall I feel that most info about stuff like that comes out years afterwards as they show up on eBay or otherwise get into collector's hands.

You essentially answered your own question, Joshs twitter is one big Epeen show.

"I've got this and you can't have it"

Though it was amusing to see him begging people to help him find an EU CE of links awakening for Switch
Harshly_Blunt
I want to believe

Postby Rhetorical » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:15 pm

I thought this was the game that was being sold/given to full vita set collectors?
Rhetorical
Physical Champion

Postby Soera » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:48 pm

I did not win. :( Not sure how Im going to go about getting this title now.
Soera
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 pm

Rhetorical wrote:I thought this was the game that was being sold/given to full vita set collectors?

Supposedly, yes, but the developer decided to stealthily produce some physical PS4 copies as well, which are basically his to do whatever with and according to LRG, will not be distributed by them.

Soera wrote:I did not win. :( Not sure how Im going to go about getting this title now.

That sucks. But he's still presumably got a bunch of copies. I'm sure if you keep an eye on his Twitter he'll be giving away more at some point.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 pm

Here's a recent Tweet from Joe, the game's designer. Remember he gave the physical release an exclusive trophy list/platinum.

"I am the only person in the world with the PS4 Bird King platinum trophy."

:?

https://twitter.com/superNESjoe/status/ ... 4159877127
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Rhetorical » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:27 pm

BuraddoRun wrote:Here's a recent Tweet from Joe, the game's designer. Remember he gave the physical release an exclusive trophy list/platinum.

"I am the only person in the world with the PS4 Bird King platinum trophy."

:?

https://twitter.com/superNESjoe/status/ ... 4159877127

There is showing things off, and then there is childishly rubbing something in peoples faces
Nasty thing to do, especially to those going for full sets (I am not)
Rhetorical
Physical Champion

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Damn, I didnt even see this thread or else I would have attempted an entry. I was hoping the PS4 version would be actually obtainable if the Vita one was only for full-setters. I dont give a crap about scarcity, I just want a damn physical copy to play. Didnt this same guy also say he wanted to do a physical PC release with all 3 of the games included? I will take that, but Im guessing that will also be something not available for sale.

Physical preservation is a noble cause, but come on, its pretty damn obvious that the people who want to support such efforts want to be able to actually OBTAIN the games being preserved.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby Best1989 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Joe is auctioning a copy of the game for charity, you can see the details at LRG's twitter, in case someone wants to participate.
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby Soera » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Im watching it but as of the time of this posting, its already over $300.
Soera
Ultimate Fan

Postby FiL » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:20 am

This is a completionist's nightmare haha, glad I never attempted a complete PS4 set :lol:
FiL
Physical Champion

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 pm

I wouldn't care if this was just a PS4 version of a game available physical somewhere else (besides the complete-set vita version), but having those as the currently only two available ways to get a physical copy, realty blows. im hoping they end up doing a Switch 3-pack.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby Rhetorical » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:50 am

Dr. Robotnik wrote:I wouldn't care if this was just a PS4 version of a game available physical somewhere else (besides the complete-set vita version), but having those as the currently only two available ways to get a physical copy, realty blows. im hoping they end up doing a Switch 3-pack.

Things like this are what make me compare to LRG before and LRG now.

Before it was about the preservation of physical games
Today it is more of a way for the people making them to show off and to rub it in people's faces. Also i am sure that the money made from distribution deals is also helping them

I now see LRG as a AAA publisher given the fact that they have published and physically released more games than any truly AAA publisher.
Calling themselves a small time company is no longer an option i think
Rhetorical
Physical Champion

Return to PlayStation 4