• Who is online

Suggest new releases and discuss past and upcoming releases.

Postby BuraddoRun » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:05 am

This is another open pre-order for the Switch, and the pre-order period opens today at noon. LRG is just distributing the game, so that should mean that it isn't a numbered LRG release.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Rhetorical » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:37 pm

I am unsure why iffy is not distributing it themselves like their other titles?
Do they have no faith in the switch version to sell well?
Rhetorical
Physical Champion

Postby fgsfds100 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Rhetorical wrote:Do they have no faith in the switch version to sell well?

According to many people who replied to the announcement tweet, it doesn't run well on Switch.

So probably.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:08 am

*sees price* It looks like the $40 releases have arrived! ...Wait. *checks digital price* Oh, that's normal.

Was interested, but after hearing about the performance issues (and it seems to still crash as well), I think I'll pass and play the PS3 version that I already have.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby FoP » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:26 am

Rhetorical wrote:I am unsure why iffy is not distributing it themselves like their other titles?
Do they have no faith in the switch version to sell well?

This whole limited-run thing is getting a bit abused nowadays.
Earlier, it was a way for indie games that otherwise wouldn't have any chance of getting a physical release get a little run for the fans.
Now, it's being used by bigger companies to ensure that they'll sell good within a short timespan instead of having people wait for the games to hit the bargain bin.

Also, I'm kinda starting to think like someone else wrote here a while back that the exclusive distributed titles is a way for LRG to sell more Switch games, so instead of signing them to the lineup they help the devs and just acts as a distributor. Makes sense, then there are some that are pure partnership deals like Soedesco's Teslagrad which'll appear in other places.

But this is one I'll skip on the Switch, not only because of the performance issues but also because I own it on both PS3 and PS4 already and I don't feel the need to double-dip another time for a pretty mediocre RPG. I did play the PS3 version, and while I DID get the PS4 version that has quite a few interesting upgrades and I could get it for cheap a while after it was released.
I also noticed a tweet from Doug and remembered how funny it is how they try to push that Nobuo Uematsu was involved in composing music for the game. Sure he was, but the involvment was so minimal it'd be fairer to advert Bach considering that Air on the G String is used so much more than the Uematsu compositions.
FoP
Ultimate Fan

Postby Aggie Tsubi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:28 pm

I've seen that happen with other games before. People made a big deal of Uematsu working on Norn9 on Vita, but he composed like one single track for the game, and nobody would even mention who composed all the rest. The sad reality is that most gamers don't know, or even care to know, practically any game composers by name. Uematsu is one of only a handful, if that, who are actually pretty widely known.
Aggie Tsubi
Physical Champion

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:58 am

To me it seems like Idea Factory International doesn't want to release anything physically on the Switch for whatever reason. Given the technical quality of their releases, it doesn't look like they want to put effort into the actual Switch games, either.

So basically, they don't care about the Switch.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby revan193 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:32 pm

Wait, what? There's technical problems with Fairy Fencer F on the Switch?

Then why is there a physical "limited run" for this game? It doesn't seem smart to not wait until problems are solved before launching pre-orders for a physical release...
revan193
LRG Super Fan

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:53 am

Looks to me like LRG's distribution line was created to sell games that don't comply with LRG's founding principles. In other words, they don't care if they're releasing incomplete and/or buggy games as a distributor.

"Don't blame us, we're just distributing it!"
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby Best1989 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:58 am

I will never get tired of posting this one:

https://youtu.be/cpbbuaIA3Ds?t=40
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby kazumn » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:56 am

Their whole distribution line is just a cheecky way to pump out more switch games, i know douglas mentioned it somewhere he wants to put out more switch games, but don't want burn out their switch audience.
What's the difference between a numbered release or a distibuted title nothing bar that it's doesen't have a limited run logo on the artwork, those distributed titles aren't avaible elsewhere anyway so i don't see any real difference.

On the other hand it may be for some companies a great way to get "full" price for their games, where let's face it most of these titles would be in the bargain bin a few months after they release.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby Aggie Tsubi » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:44 am

kazumn wrote:On the other hand it may be for some companies a great way to get "full" price for their games, where let's face it most of these titles would be in the bargain bin a few months after they release.

Which is how it should be. That system incentivizes developers to make their games as good as possible. The better a game's reception, the less quickly and severely it'll be marked down.

I liked LRG when it it was about doing physical runs of games that would otherwise have remained digital-only. Now the concept is being abused to force consumers, by limiting the availability, to pay more for games they otherwise would've bought on markdown. LRG is just going in a more and more anti-consumer direction.
Aggie Tsubi
Physical Champion

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:46 pm

Yeah, when I complained on Twitter, I got the "we're just distributing it" spiel. As expected. And of course the game's lackluster port job was not acknowledged (but hey, you're not going to say a bad word about a product you're selling).
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby Rhetorical » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:33 am

BenoitRen wrote:Yeah, when I complained on Twitter, I got the "we're just distributing it" spiel. As expected. And of course the game's lackluster port job was not acknowledged (but hey, you're not going to say a bad word about a product you're selling).

They did to THQ Nordic when selling Red Faction
I have not seen LRG mention anything about their partnership since
Rhetorical
Physical Champion

Postby revan193 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:50 am

Is Fairy Fencer F a good game? I know it was made by the studio which created the Hyperdimension Neptunia series but not much else.
revan193
LRG Super Fan

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:03 pm

I'd advise you to read a couple reviews. From what I know, it's decent, but nothing special.

At any rate, if you plan to get it, get the PS4 version.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby revan193 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:19 am

I prefer playing on Portable consoles and only choose games for Home consoles if it's not available anywhere else.

Otherwise, the game is decent but nothing special? Mmmh... I might pass the Switch limited run then, because it might not be worth paying 39,99$+15$ (shipping fee).
revan193
LRG Super Fan

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:52 am

The Switch version has performance issues and crashes sometimes. The PS4 version doesn't have these problems.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby revan193 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:29 am

Wait. What?! There's performances issues and the game can crash sometimes???

Then why the hell there's a Limited Run for it? Why not waiting until problems are solved before releasing the damn game?
revan193
LRG Super Fan

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:57 pm

The reason LRG isn't waiting is probably because the game has been out for a while, which suggests that Idea Factory isn't interested in fixing it. Whatever the reason is, LRG are hiding behind the excuse that they're just acting as a distributor.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby OneVurfedGwrx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:25 pm

See also, Night Trap Vita...
OneVurfedGwrx
LRG Super Fan

Postby revan193 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:37 am

If someone can confirm at 100% that there's no performance issues, bugs and no crashes in the PS4 version, I'm buying it.
revan193
LRG Super Fan

Return to Limited Run Discussion