• Who is online

Suggest new releases and discuss past and upcoming releases.

Postby BuraddoRun » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:18 pm

Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier is releasing this Friday. It's a basic cinematic game (more basic than Until Dawn, Detroit, or the Telltale games). But my question is, does it require a tablet/phone to play? Hidden Agenda is a Playlink game that does require an external app device. I liked it, but I hate having to use an app so I only played through it once or twice and I was done. If this one requires it, I'm not getting it. I've read online that the game allows for Dualshock control, but LRG's cover seems to say that it's required:

BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Wow, good catch on that. If this does require the app, then this will be Lawbreakers 2.0 for me then and it will be a hard pass. Too bad they didnt give enough of a fuck about the Vita to make that an alternate method to play these games.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby BLINXERIZER » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:29 am

Yes it is required (actually says it in the image there).

I'm definetely going to get this. I have Hidden Agenda btw but have yet to play it.

Please visit my Deviantart page: https://crimson-x.deviantart.com/

XBX: BLINXERIZER
PSN: BLINXERIZER
NS: SW-6594-8506-3402

Join the LRG forums!
http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/limitedrunforums/index.php
BLINXERIZER
Forum Mod

Postby Rhetorical » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:12 am

It is odd that it is required as the digital version of the game does not require playlink to play it if you want to play

I have just checked and it is possible to complete this game 100% with just a controller
There is no need for the playlink at all

If the physical has been tied to the playlink i will not be purchasing it
Rhetorical
Physical Champion

Postby Best1989 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 am

Given the known reluctance from devs that work with LRG to do any extra work on the games they are releasing physically, I seriously doubt that they implemented "Playlink only" for this release.
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby OneVurfedGwrx » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:13 pm

LRG have specified on Twitter that only the multi player requires PlayLink. For normal use you can just use a Dual shock 4.

Debating this one as I kind of like FMV games and have almost tried this on PSN sales a few times. If it is $24.99 I might bite and grab Gunvolt with it...
OneVurfedGwrx
LRG Super Fan

Postby Fries » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:33 pm

I'm tempted by it myself, just due to the oddness of the release. Never expected LRG to put out a PlayLink compatible title.
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:33 pm

LRG have specified on Twitter that only the multi player requires PlayLink. For normal use you can just use a Dual shock 4.

Are there any other PlayLink games that work like this? I have mostly decided to just ignore their existence, but may go back and look at a couple if they at least allow single player to be played without the app/with a normal controller.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby OneVurfedGwrx » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:03 am

Dr. Robotnik wrote:

Are there any other PlayLink games that work like this? I have mostly decided to just ignore their existence, but may go back and look at a couple if they at least allow single player to be played without the app/with a normal controller.

I am not sure as I have generally ignored most of them. Didn't even try out the PSPlus freebie one we got.

Another bonus of this title is the licence meaning it will inevitably get delisted sooner rather than later. Sadly it seems to be $19.99 on US store so expecting it to be $29.99. I may well buy it anyway though...
OneVurfedGwrx
LRG Super Fan

Postby Rhetorical » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:35 am

Dr. Robotnik wrote:

I own a few as they came as a package with my slim white PS4, but those games REQUIRE playlink to play at all.
I have not seen any other games where playlink is an option rather than required.

Since it is not required for the game to work i will most likely pick it up.
I am expecting it to be $30
Rhetorical
Physical Champion

Postby FoP » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:55 am

I'll skip this as I'm not a fan of Planet of the Apes and when it comes to "choice-based gameplay" or whatever you want to call it I've still got several Telltale games unplayed.

However, I do think that you guys are a bit too harsh on PlayLink, even if it had been mandatory. At least as long as it works as I've understood it.
Unlike stuff like Jackbox, which goes through dedicated servers and eventually will be shut down making the games unplayable, PlayLink seems to work differently. There are some extra risks associated with it, but nothing I'd count as impossible to overcome. The first is that it's tied to an app, and this seems to be the biggest weakness; however when it comes to Android it's REALLY easy to unlock the phone to run APK's not bought in the store, and there are a few sites out there which catalogize older versions and such. So even if it's delisted it'll still probably be possible to run it on Android.
Then when connecting, it seems that the only requirement is that the connecting device and PS4 is on the same network; so instead of communicating via internet like Jackbox, this lets the two devices communicate directly. So with no servers involved, it gets a lot more secure.

I just realized that I guess technically Sony COULD push a system software update to disable PlayLink if they wanted to. So ok, not 100% future-proof but definitely better than anything that needs a server to run.
FoP
Ultimate Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 am

^Is the app something that is included on the game disc though? Like, say if it was something where you bought the game, installed it, then you hooked up your phone/tablet to your PS4 via USB and then could install the app that way from data that was available on the disc, like how you could get stuff from the PS Store for the Vita/PSP by first downloading it onto your PS3/PS4 and then transfer it through USB.

Like if the PlayLink games worked where all you needed to do was hook up your device to your PS4 while the game is running or install something from the disc, I would be ok with that, even I have a dummy iphone I use just at home for connecting to my wifi or as a camera. I would much prefer if Sony had designed these with the Vita in mind as well since there are a handful of games that allow PS4/Vita connectivity, but I am assuming that one way or another the internet is a requirement for these to operate.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby bmcphail » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:39 am

Dr. Robotnik wrote:^Is the app something that is included on the game disc though? Like, say if it was something where you bought the game, installed it, then you hooked up your phone/tablet to your PS4 via USB and then could install the app that way from data that was available on the disc, like how you could get stuff from the PS Store for the Vita/PSP by first downloading it onto your PS3/PS4 and then transfer it through USB.

Like if the PlayLink games worked where all you needed to do was hook up your device to your PS4 while the game is running or install something from the disc, I would be ok with that, even I have a dummy iphone I use just at home for connecting to my wifi or as a camera. I would much prefer if Sony had designed these with the Vita in mind as well since there are a handful of games that allow PS4/Vita connectivity, but I am assuming that one way or another the internet is a requirement for these to operate.

Yes, you must download the app using the Internet as there is no way to get it on your tablet or smartphone otherwise.
bmcphail
LRG Super Fan

Postby Fries » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Caroline and Adrian are currently on stream playing the game multiplayer both using DS4's, so I guess the PlayLink app is mostly optional here. Good news, I suppose.
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby FoP » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:36 am

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Like if the PlayLink games worked where all you needed to do was hook up your device to your PS4 while the game is running or install something from the disc, I would be ok with that, even I have a dummy iphone I use just at home for connecting to my wifi or as a camera. I would much prefer if Sony had designed these with the Vita in mind as well since there are a handful of games that allow PS4/Vita connectivity, but I am assuming that one way or another the internet is a requirement for these to operate.

That would've been a cool feature indeed, both using the VITA and the app downloading from the PS4. Not sure if the latter would be possible though, especially on phones with stricter security for such things than Android systems (namely the iPhone). So yeah, you're still right in that you'll still need some form of connection to get the app - either wifi or mobile - what I was mostly going for is that a PlayLink game is probably a lot safer than multiplayer games that goes through servers, and even if the app gets de-listed there's still a high chance it'd still be possible to get it through other means.

Fries wrote:Caroline and Adrian are currently playing the game on steam multiplayer both using DS4's, so I guess the PlayLink app is mostly optional here. Good news, I suppose.

That's surprising. As I understood it earlier I thought it would work with one DualShock but that PlayLink was needed for multiplayer. But I guess that's the best of both worlds; people with multiple controllers can use them, but for those who don't there's PlayLink instead.
FoP
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:12 pm

It looks like they removed the Playlink Required blurb on the front cover on their website.

BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby OneVurfedGwrx » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 am

Figured this run would be an easy one. Went for it at first thing for PotA and Gunvolt. Hopefully a break now before anything else I want. I forget if the Blaster Masters were dated yet...
OneVurfedGwrx
LRG Super Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:01 pm

From twitter:

Limited Run ✨ RIVER CITY GIRLS @LimitedRunGames 1h ago
Please be aware that PlayLink is NOT REQUIRED for this title. It is optional. The "PlayLink Required" notice on the case mockup will not be present on the final released version.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Return to Limited Run Discussion