Talk about everything else here!

Dejavu.

1 - Indeed.
50%
2 - Have you seen my daughter?
No votes
3 - Hello, Have a nice sunday.
25%
4 - I am hungry and there is nothing in the fridge!!
No votes
5 - People should only care for their friends and family, otherwise the rest of people is hopeless.
25%

Total votes : 4

Postby Mr.KonaSoni » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 am

|Start》 |

This question is pretty generic and I think is pretty common, after watching a video about this subject I asked myself again, "why are you collecting retro games?", my answer is that I am not attached to a lot of videogames anymore, it is still my passion and I love it but I don't want complete library of games anymore, I wanted to complete my GBA collection but the plan was scrapped after 3 months.

Nowadays I just want to play games that I haven't play before, use my modded Wii for retro games and enter the PSN Store of the PS4, if there is a nice looking game for 10$, give me, I just want to enjoy a new experience.

Conclusion, I don't want to collect a lot of retro games, my two objectives are the following:

1 - Get all Konami games that I want. (400+) (I have 60+ at the moment)
2 - Get all Sonic games that I want (90+) (I have 20+ at the moment)

Konami is just so special for me and my life and Sonic is something that makes me happy, those are the only games that I want to collect, the games that I have actually love and passion, that makes me smile when I see them in my shelf and it is a pleasure touch them.

But what is your answer? Why do you collect retro games? Do you enjoy it? Do you want a complete set?

I am aware that a lot of members of this forum have more games than space in the house.

Thus this I hope someday I can sit down in my couch, drink Pepsi with Pizza and then remind myself.... "I have completed my goal"

Note: Do you like my "Contra" posters? I need more from the rest of games, maybe some Gradius and Castlevania.

Note - 2: My Konami Collection at the moment.

My list of recommendable Konami games from decent to great.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

My Blog

https://cheapbrokenpizza.blogspot.com/
This is the list of the Konami games that I have in my collection, Thank you Konami for everything, I am a real Konami hero!!.
https://vgcollect.com/mrkonasoni

573!!
Mr.KonaSoni
LRG Super Fan

Location: There is a place in hell for someone with a cursed blood as mine, its name is... throne.

Postby Mr.KonaSoni » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:22 am

I want to believe someone will ask this again within some months in the future.

Sometimes I like the feeling of dejavu, I am not sure if it is because I have asperger's syndrome.

I am glad that I don't need to go to places with a lot of people, that always makes me feel awkward, I also believe that I shall improve my social skills, maybe someday.

Also I guess the answer is that if everyone is rich, then nobody is rich actually, I am feeling again that I don't want to work never again, well, today is sunday, nobody wants to work on sunday.
My list of recommendable Konami games from decent to great.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

My Blog

https://cheapbrokenpizza.blogspot.com/
This is the list of the Konami games that I have in my collection, Thank you Konami for everything, I am a real Konami hero!!.
https://vgcollect.com/mrkonasoni

573!!
Mr.KonaSoni
LRG Super Fan

Location: There is a place in hell for someone with a cursed blood as mine, its name is... throne.

Postby 315retro » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:33 am

Now days I just collect either games I wanna play, games I used to have but sold/lost and games that I've always wanted but never had.

For example if I found one of the super rare ps1 rpg titles in a box for a quarter, I'd buy it but probably trade it for a few less rare games that I actually want.

My only exception for this is Nintendo stuff. I tend to keep any cartridge I find unless it's a double for me.

I'm mostly done with ps1, 2, 3, p, and vita. Pretty close to done with Genesis (except some rare shmup stuff I hope to find). Definitely done with OG Xbox, but I'd like to triple my 360 collection. Done with Gameboy & advance. DS I have a soft spot for and will always find something. Done with wii and wiiu.

So tk;Dr I collect to have what I had, and to play fun games. And because I goddamn love the hunt!
http://www.instagram.com/315retro/ Check out my collection!!

315retro
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:12 am

Retro games in many genres are better than those same genres that release today. Not that having better games isn't possible, and not that there aren't unique games now days, but a lot of features in current games make the games worse or he amount of content filled these past games are in comparison.

For example. I love Gundam Versus. The gameplay is absolutely amazing, but the single player is nothing more than a variety of waves, so it's mostly online. But Mobile Suit Gundam Federation vs Zeon and Gundam vs Zeta Gundam have two very different but two really enjoyable campaigns(the Federation vs Zeon campaign is my favorite.) You have the initial PS2 Gundam release Journey to Jaburo which is roug around the edges that takes you from the very beginning of Mobile Suit Gundam to Jaburo(as the name suggests.) It basically follows the first movie version of the series. Then released later was Encounters in Space, also named after the movie version, this one followed Journey to Jaburo all the way to the end of the original Gundam, but it also has the entire second half of 0083 and some side stories. Thoroughbred Mode is an original story that was later turned into an actual manga. The entire game itself was basically Zone of Enders with Gundam. Gundam Battle Assault 2 on the PS1 is another good game with the Gundam license.

Another example would be play Armored Core 5 on the PS3. The game is trash, and while Armored Core 4 and For Answer are both great games, on the PS1 there was Armored Core and two expansion sequels, on PS2 there was Armored Core 2, Another Age, 3, Silent Line, Nexus, and Last Raven which are all main titles in the series alongside a couple side titles. With as many great Armored Core games we've received during that time, where are all the games now? Two great Armored Core games on the PS3 and nothing. I mean sure, there are other Armored Core like games from From Software, but there were other Armored Core like games on the PS2 also. Another Century Episode 1, 2, and 3 are essentially like the Armored Core of Super Robot Wars games. We received King's Field and Shadow Tower games which are open-ish worlds with a focus on exploring these large interconnected dungeons and cities. Think of The Elder Scrolls but more intricate design, the reason games like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne are as good as they are. Evergrace and Forever Kingdom is yet another series that they've made, so yeah, in comparison to what's been released now, the output of their games on the PS1 and especially the PS2 are considerably larger.

PS3 up to everything current has next to nothing compared to even the least represented major Nintendo and Sony console in the JRPG genre. What with Namco Bandai localizing next to everything whether it's in English or Engrish, we're getting a lot of quality JRPGs this gen which is nice, but next to nothing from companies like Square Enix and Atlus compared to the quantity and quality they used to release. Atlus being purchased by Sega couldn't have been any worse, because they actually used to publish a lot of games, but now their game development is slower than they've ever been and they no longer publish games that aren't developed from their own company. Compare Persona 5 on the PS4, to the original release of Persona 3, Persona 4, SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Digital Devil Saga 2, Raidou Kuzunoha vs The Soulless Army, Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon, etc, etc, etc. Atlus released next to nothing on the PS3, there was that trash Game of Thrones game and Persona 5 was cross platform, but then in that case what did they release on the PS4? To be fair they released more games on the DS and PSP rather than the PS3, but their output even then was incredibly small. and it's even smaller on the 3DS, Vita, PS4, and Wii U. SMT4 and SMT4 Apocalypse are great, but it's the exact same world with different story, they developed five Etrian Odyssey games on the 3DS, two are remakes and how hard is it to develop a bunch of hallways? I do like dungeon crawlers, but I'm not going to praise them for developing five of the easiest to develop style of RPGs in existence. I reiterate the same thing with Persona Q and Q2, and then the rest of their games are remasters and remakes of games they already released on the DS. So again, Atlus has really released nothing compared to what they did in the past.

Honestly, what it really comes down to is that retro games in the past, these major companies released quantity AND quality. Now days no major publisher is releasing much of anything. Most of the games we have that are releasing are indie games, and I'm very happy that, because if not for the indie games this would easily be the worst console generation.

One thing that annoys me about indie developed games is that a lot of them just try to ripoff what's currently popular and 90% of the time it's yet another Castlevania, Metroid style 2D Dark Souls clone. Yes, there are a lot of good ones but there's a lot of bad one(A LOT.) Hollow Knight gets a lot praise right now, and it's a decent game, DECENT, but this game has absolute shit pacing, so despite having great bosses, great gameplay, the pacing is so freaking bad that it turns me off from playing the game. But then you have games like Furi where nearly every aspect of the game is perfect. Yes, it's only bosses, but it does the bosses so incredibly well that the game doesn't even need anything else. Hyper Light Drifter is an excellent game with a very fast very deliberate style of gameplay, much like the Souls games but doesn't exactly feel like a ripoff at all. N++ is a rather simple platformer where its pure platforming, avoiding traps, collecting gold, and opening and getting to the exit as quick as possible. It's literally one of the best platformers of all time. Cursed Castilla borrows from and exceeds in quality imo due to a better balanced game than any of the Capcom games it copies. Stardew Valley is THE BEST Harvest Moon game of all time, hands down. Broforce is an amazing Contra like game. Overcooked is purely unique game that's great single player but is an absolute blast playing with friends, one of the greatest co op games ever made. So yeah, there are some absolutely amazing indie games, but there are some some literal trash games, many games that don't push themselves above average, and there's also many that aren't quite as good as some of the others but are also great games in their own right.

I honestly wish some of these major companies cared more about gaming than profits. There are some, Falcom, Kadokawa, etc, but it seems that most of these major companies are more into profits than gaming. Every time I see another game I'm interested in published by THQ Nordic or Deep Silver(now owned by Nordic,) I cry a little on the inside because I know that it's going to be an unplayable mess of a game. Too much that happens now days feels it's all about money. IGA made damn sure to throw it in all the backers faces that this was about money. Fuck IGA, because everyone who believed his bullshit got fucked. Sure the game may have been patched to be somewhat playable and it may be a fairly good game, but those of us who paid for a retail copy has a practically worthless disc what with the original version broken. The names that are supposed to be on disc aren't there, etc.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:36 am

with retro I collect every game thats looks interesting to me or I find realy cheap I have a hard time passing gameboy games for example no mather how bad if they only cost a buck for example.

in a way it feels like I am saving it.

in general though I buy just what seems interesting or what I know is rare. my game attick looks a bit like 3 things

storage
game shop
museum.

the only system I need a ful set of is the vita because thats my swan sung because after this modern gaming is over.

maybe someday the switch but its unlikely I have no interest in the ps4 or one and also not in the ps5 6 7 or 8 same with x-box

its getting way to digital for my taste and even ps3 is already pushing what I cna accept.

ps4 discs are trash most of the time they need so much patches and crap that the disc has no real use anymore. so ps4 (also goes for x-box) I wouldnt need to buy physicla games at all because they are broken. I refuse to buy digital games so the choice is amde for me.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:04 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:ps4 discs are trash most of the time they need so much patches and crap that the disc has no real use anymore. so ps4 (also goes for x-box) I wouldnt need to buy physicla games at all because they are broken. I refuse to buy digital games so the choice is amde for me.

Switch also. Despite many Switch games being digital only even if they're on PS4 or XBO, the same Switch games have just as many updates as their PS4 counterpart if not more. Some games don't even include the entire game on the cart, like the Mega Man games which only include half of each collection, the Resident Evil games, also including half of each collection, or even LA Noire which I've heard didn't even have the entire game on the card. That's not counting that the PS4 and XBO versions run infinitely better regardless which game it is, though Mega Man 11 is one game that does run best on Switch with a slightly lower input latency than all other consoles while still being 1080p60fps.

That being said, most patches don't change enough to have a visible effect and most games run sold without patches on the PS4. A lot of the extra content that the patches might add are negligible. However, I'd rather have a game that can't be patched and the developers do their best to perfect it before launching it than the games having the option to be rushed out to release and patched later which AAA developers are fine doing.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:19 pm

kupomogli wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:ps4 discs are trash most of the time they need so much patches and crap that the disc has no real use anymore. so ps4 (also goes for x-box) I wouldnt need to buy physicla games at all because they are broken. I refuse to buy digital games so the choice is amde for me.

Switch also. Despite many Switch games being digital only even if they're on PS4 or XBO, the same Switch games have just as many updates as their PS4 counterpart if not more. Some games don't even include the entire game on the cart, like the Mega Man games which only include half of each collection, the Resident Evil games, also including half of each collection, or even LA Noire which I've heard didn't even have the entire game on the card. That's not counting that the PS4 and XBO versions run infinitely better regardless which game it is, though Mega Man 11 is one game that does run best on Switch with a slightly lower input latency than all other consoles while still being 1080p60fps.

That being said, most patches don't change enough to have a visible effect and most games run sold without patches on the PS4. A lot of the extra content that the patches might add are negligible. However, I'd rather have a game that can't be patched and the developers do their best to perfect it before launching it than the games having the option to be rushed out to release and patched later which AAA developers are fine doing.
pretty much all the big triple a releases need patches to be playble just ok at the avrage assasins creed game for example.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:50 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:pretty much all the big triple a releases need patches to be playble just ok at the avrage assasins creed game for example.

I haven't played AC unpatched so I have no idea, but Mega Man 11 hasn't had a patch yet and not only is it one of the best Mega Man games of all time, it runs flawlessly. God of War unpatched runs incredibly well and the only thing a patch brings is a new game plus feature and a higher tier of equipment. Resident Evil 2 runs flawlessly at 60fps on the PS4 Pro, there was a patch to include the Ghost Survivors but if you've read a previous comment I made about it is this was literally a nothing mode that felt like a fan made gameplay edit. After completing two of them I didn't even bother to play the third. Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne played great and while they both have frame pacing issues which look like judder during gameplay, the games are near perfect quality. Nioh had updates for the DLC, and while I don't like the game, the game runs perfect. Metal Gear Solid 5? Uncharted 4? Detroit? Spiderman?

A lot of games on the PS4 run great. You do have AAA tites like LBP3 that will crash six times within the hour, you do have always online garbage like Anthem, Destiny, etc. You do have Ubisoft games, not just AC that are literal fetch quests with a slightly different form of gameplay, which btw, Watch Dogs 1 is actually a good game, the one time that I think Ubisoft really got it right this gen, they just f'd it up with the huge graphics downgrade. The second Watch Dogs though, despite the presentation being better and the graphics being a lot better, trash imo. The games mission variety is garbage and the game crashed on me and I fell through the floor the first few hours of play.

So yeah, some AAA games, mainly Activision, Ubisoft, EA, Square Enix, and are we going to call THQ Nordic AAA? Yes, they often crap out unfinished games, even Sony has a couple times with LBP3 and Day's Gone. But a lot of AAA devs don't and most games are fully playable with even less issues than your average SNES game. Super Castlevania 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I can tell you off the top of my head most of the instances where slowdown will occur and for what reasons. Mega Man X has a lot of slowdown during a few stages, Contra 3, etc. There are a ton of highly praised games that push the console to its limits and run a bit poorly on the SNES.

I will shit all over games and companies but I look at it with a realistic perspective and at a well deserved problem. There's no reason to write off this generation entirely because of some bad publishers and developers. Bethesda might make a lot of buggy as hell games for instance, doesn't mean that The Evil Within 2 is any less of a game. For being a poor man's TLOU, I really enjoyed that game, and the new Doom's combat is pretty amazing, even if the level design and progression kind of sucks imo. Even Titanfall 2's single player mode which is pretty good and runs 60fps has no issues whatsoever.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:03 pm

kupomogli wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:pretty much all the big triple a releases need patches to be playble just ok at the avrage assasins creed game for example.

I haven't played AC unpatched so I have no idea, but Mega Man 11 hasn't had a patch yet and not only is it one of the best Mega Man games of all time, it runs flawlessly. God of War unpatched runs incredibly well and the only thing a patch brings is a new game plus feature and a higher tier of equipment. Resident Evil 2 runs flawlessly at 60fps on the PS4 Pro, there was a patch to include the Ghost Survivors but if you've read a previous comment I made about it is this was literally a nothing mode that felt like a fan made gameplay edit. After completing two of them I didn't even bother to play the third. Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne played great and while they both have frame pacing issues which look like judder during gameplay, the games are near perfect quality. Nioh had updates for the DLC, and while I don't like the game, the game runs perfect. Metal Gear Solid 5? Uncharted 4? Detroit? Spiderman?

A lot of games on the PS4 run great. You do have AAA tites like LBP3 that will crash six times within the hour, you do have always online garbage like Anthem, Destiny, etc. You do have Ubisoft games, not just AC that are literal fetch quests with a slightly different form of gameplay, which btw, Watch Dogs 1 is actually a good game, the one time that I think Ubisoft really got it right this gen, they just f'd it up with the huge graphics downgrade. The second Watch Dogs though, despite the presentation being better and the graphics being a lot better, trash imo. The games mission variety is garbage and the game crashed on me and I fell through the floor the first few hours of play.

So yeah, some AAA games, mainly Activision, Ubisoft, EA, Square Enix, and are we going to call THQ Nordic AAA? Yes, they often crap out unfinished games, even Sony has a couple times with LBP3 and Day's Gone. But a lot of AAA devs don't and most games are fully playable with even less issues than your average SNES game. Super Castlevania 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I can tell you off the top of my head most of the instances where slowdown will occur and for what reasons. Mega Man X has a lot of slowdown during a few stages, Contra 3, etc. There are a ton of highly praised games that push the console to its limits and run a bit poorly on the SNES.

I will shit all over games and companies but I look at it with a realistic perspective and at a well deserved problem. There's no reason to write off this generation entirely because of some bad publishers and developers. Bethesda might make a lot of buggy as hell games for instance, doesn't mean that The Evil Within 2 is any less of a game. For being a poor man's TLOU, I really enjoyed that game, and the new Doom's combat is pretty amazing, even if the level design and progression kind of sucks imo. Even Titanfall 2's single player mode which is pretty good and runs 60fps has no issues whatsoever.
ac is a know series hit tons of bugs so it made an great example there are a lot of others though

even so there are more reasons looking back comparing the ps4 liabryt the ps3 the ammount of amazing ps4 games is just so few. I mean huge games that elave a lasting impression. we never get the ps1 and 2 prime back I know that but to be fair the ps4 has only 3 or 4 titles I relay regret being never able to play.

paid online is also something I take great offense too .

all in all everyone should do what he or she wants but this and future gens are just not for me which is a sad thing.

I dont realy enjoy games as much as for example 10 years ago anyway maybe I am getting to old for that shit?

I dont know but I do know that asside from retro there is nothing left for me in the gaming world in a year or so.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby panzermanathod » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Kupo you whore you forgot Formula Front!

And on the topic of game libraries, I've played plenty of good games made within the last few years, so I wouldn't write this gen off. Sure, some of them are remasters but, hey, one of my favorite PSX games is a remake of a SNES game so, eh. Even Horizon: Zero Dawn's story has left a lasting impression on me, and that's something that doesn't happen too often.

While I do admit, between then and now, we went from experimentation to efficiency in game mechanics, but if you don't see many games nowadays you like, perhaps you aren't looking in the right spot.

As for why I collect retro... there's some old PSX and PS2 games I wanna get.
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:00 pm

While it does suck that there are so many incomplete releases, I will still take a physical base-version of a game with the possibility of some bugs, over digital any day. I can still have fun with whats available. Its shit like Tony Hawk 5, Spyro Trilogy and Starlink on the Switch that are the true wastes of physical media.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby panzermanathod » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:27 pm

One thing I do have to ask others, now that you've reminded me of it, is that... you do know incomplete games have been sold to people since the 80's, right?

It kinda irks me that people act like back in the day every dev completed their games, when that isn't true. Patches do act as a double edge sword but back then if a console game does get updated (SF2, Guilty Gear, Jet Moto 2, Resident Evil 1/2, Revenge of Shinobi), you'd have to buy a whole new game.

Not to say those games mentioned are incomplete. You'd still have stuff like Crash Twinsanity, Action 52, or Privateer 2 that were released functionally broken in some way (although at least I could enjoy Twinsanity)
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:02 am

panzermanathod wrote:One thing I do have to ask others, now that you've reminded me of it, is that... you do know incomplete games have been sold to people since the 80's, right?

It kinda irks me that people act like back in the day every dev completed their games, when that isn't true. Patches do act as a double edge sword but back then if a console game does get updated (SF2, Guilty Gear, Jet Moto 2, Resident Evil 1/2, Revenge of Shinobi), you'd have to buy a whole new game.

Not to say those games mentioned are incomplete. You'd still have stuff like Crash Twinsanity, Action 52, or Privateer 2 that were released functionally broken in some way (although at least I could enjoy Twinsanity)

This is sort of what I was getting at but referencing some of the best games with slowdown. My favorite game of all time is Brigandine Legend of Forsena and the game is actually an incomplete game, atleast I'm assuming. There's one enemy within the original game who only appears within cutscenes. This enemy can also be used if you use a Game Shark, or atleast you can atleast view his class and sprite(not sure if you can actually use him.) Brigandine Grand Edition has a pretty major overhaul about how mechanics, graphics changes, combat taking place on the battlefield with new sprite based attack graphics instead of transitioning to a 3D battle map, and the biggest change is that there are also bosses in the game, the same enemy within the first one. Brigandine is an absolutely amazing game and both the first and remake are my favorite games of all time. But the game itself may actually be incomplete and ust ends when you take over the continent.

Final Fantasy 1 has issues that spells like TMPR and SABR don't even work, LOK2 increases enemy evasion by 15%(and stacks.) These issues being in the game didn't ruin it, the original Final Fantasy is still a great game, but there's been patches this gen that have fixed less.

panzermanathod wrote:Kupo you whore you forgot Formula Front!

Technically. I forgot Nine Breaker, as Formula Front never received a PS2 release in the US. But it wasn't so much that I forgot rather than didn't mention it directly.

One of my favorite PSX games is a remake of a SNES game

Master of Monsters? Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4? There are the only ones that I can think of that are actually remakes and not ports for the most part.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:41 am

And on the topic of game libraries, I've played plenty of good games made within the last few years, so I wouldn't write this gen off. Sure, some of them are remasters but, hey, one of my favorite PSX games is a remake of a SNES game so, eh. Even Horizon: Zero Dawn's story has left a lasting impression on me, and that's something that doesn't happen too often.

While I do admit, between then and now, we went from experimentation to efficiency in game mechanics, but if you don't see many games nowadays you like, perhaps you aren't looking in the right spot.

As for why I collect retro... there's some old PSX and PS2 games I wanna get.
liking games isnt the issue its about games I actualy would love. most games I play and forget soon after even on the vita a lot of the games I played are like that

there are enugh games thta I like tough not nearly as much compared to the older systems but relay games I would love are rare.

horizon god of war stardew valley and that dragonquest mosou game and thats pretty much it I cnat think of another one.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:44 am

mr. Hyde wrote:there are enugh games thta I like tough not nearly as much compared to the older systems but relay games I would love are rare.

horizon god of war stardew valley and that dragonquest mosou game and thats pretty much it I cnat think of another one.

Tbh, if you really are interested in those games then there should be a lot that would interest you.

The Dragon Quest Heroes games are merely okay. I wouldn't even put them in the range of good honestly. They are passable but that's it. If you want a game series like Musou that'll blow you away, then play Yakuza or Fist of the North Star. Those are games based on what you've mentioned that you'd be interested in.

Here's a gameplay video of mine for Yakuza 3, but you should watch Angry Joe's review for Yakuza 0 which would be the best place to start for new players. Considering that 0 and a remake of the original game is on the PS4, there's no need to play the PS2 versions. Now I haven't played the remake to Yakuza 2 because I didn't care for Yakuza 6's changes other than the obvious graphics overall which was amazing and badly needed, but Yakuza 2 also received a remake on the PS4 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWK749b-m5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1cFBtr-ryU

Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise has better gameplay, but the town and world are a bit worse, not because they're bad exactly, it's because instead of having any real storyline after the first few chapters the storyline is your fetch quest stuff and it doesn't reach the level of the sub stories that the Yakuza games do. Most of them are just rather pointless nothing quests. After the first few chapters the storyline only picks up when you meet a boss at the end of the chapter, just displaying commentary from them and Kenshiro. I'm not kidding when I say these are the most badass characters you'll see in a video game. They make Kratos look like a pu***.

Now, Stardew Valley is the best Harvest Moon, but if you're interested in that, maybe also consider Dragon Quest Builders 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTMhU8-nph4

If you like God of War though, the new one, then there are several games that are better. Dark Souls entire trilogy is on the PS4, Bloodborne, DMC HD Collection, DMC4, DmC Devil May Cry which happens to be my favorite in the series only because I havent yet played DMC5. DmC gets crapped on by sheep who have likely never played the game, but story and gameplay it's at the top of the series though I'd say 4 has slightly better gameplay and enemy variety but is not a better game.

I'd even state that similarly, though they're both on the Vita as well and you probably already own them, Ys Origin, Ys8, and the soon to be released Ys9 are incredible games(9 I obviously haven't yet played.) If not for a trophy requesting you to grind to level 60, I'd actually have platinumed Ys Origin, but I have another eight hours of grinding at minimum and it's got the most boring grinding of imaginable, and hey want me to do this sh** for eight hours? Fuck that trophy. That being said, I finished the game with every character on the Nightmare difficulty, I finished boss rush on Nightmare. I finished Ys8 on hard then new game plus on Nightmare and then finished the extra dungeon that only appears once you finish the game in that same difficulty and platinumed the game. These games are freaking amazing.

Those are just recommendations based on your interests, but games that I'd say are truly amazing titls aside from a few I listed above.

Resident Evil 7, now I only have played this in VR, but this has instantly became my favorite in the series. I actually crapped on it a bit because it was in first person but when I finally played it, it does Resident Evil just as well as any game, but better imo. It also has the perfect mix of action and puzzle solving. I'd say puzzle solving in this game is easily my favorite do to one puzzle in the game that I absolutely loved and I guarantee everyone who's played it know what one I'm talking about.

Diviniy Original Sin is pretty much second to none when it comes to western RPGs imo. It is literally the best I've ever played out of any WRPG.

I mentioned THQ Nordic earlier in this thread and I'm honestly disappointed when they publish anything I'm interested in, because the games can actually be rather good. I'm not going to say the game is amazing, but man Battlechasers Nightwar has such a great combat system and really had the potential to be one of the best JRPG style games ever made. It's not a bad game and anyone who likes a lot of strategy within these types of games you should really pick it up because strategy in combat is this games major focus and it doesnt fail in the least.

Dying Light The Following Enhanced Edition is both the original release of Dying Light and its expansion. Now Again, not amazing, but the two different versions offer such diverse styles of gameplay and one is actually very survivalish, while the other one is less so and more open country somewhat racing with survival mixed in. I feel it's really as close as we're going to come to a zombie survival game that doesn't suck. And I mean survival. TLOU is not a survival game, it's a story driven stealth game(amazing game botw.)

Has-Been Heroes like God Hand before it will one day be called a hidden gem despite being crapped all over in the past by journalists who suck at video games. Has-Been Heroes is an incredibly addicting game with strategy at its core. Now yes, it's all RNG, but blaming that as a reason that you can't get past the earlier difficulties is a load of bs, because skills and equipment don't even play a factor in the lower difficulties as much as they do in the much higher difficulties. This game is all about what three characters would be the best to use in each situation with the most simplistic of gameplay, but despite the simplicity the game isn't easy. I will say it's probably a pretty boring game to watch(atleast I'm bored "watching" it) but I've put well over 200 hours into the game and still go back to it once in awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Bp9ZT9Nu0

As I said above, Furi is amazing and is one of my favorite games on this gen, I have played through it many many many times.

https://youtu.be/tYYdkNqGL3w?t=2440

Another favorite of mine is Hotline Miami. The second one was a bit of a disappointment having every stage be close to 99% windows(exaggeration.) It just didn't feel as well balanced. Hotline Miami/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG_Xdunrofg

I own around 200 games, and seriously, if you're interested in God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and the kind of mediocre Dragon Quest Heroes games, then I guarantee that you'd enjoy way way WAY more than that. Seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_jcUfXv40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJxqAui_So
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:27 am

Certainly true, but to me, the ease of pushing out patches now a days has become a crutch that far too many companies rely on. Shitty games will always get pushed out the door, but when you have the option to just push the absolute bare minimum out and then "fix it later", thats a problem. Me personally? I will take the old Capcom-method of doing releases a million times over then what they are doing now (Street Fighter V). Yeah you had to re-buy a game, but at the same time, it made each version feel unique, certainly more-so with the SF2 versions. Why would Capcom even bother going through the trouble of re-releasing every version of these games in compilations if there was not something unique to each version, be it mechanics or features? This is why I hate it when people say that Nintendo should just stop making new Smash Bros. games and just keep updating Ultimate. Fuck that. I can go back and each Smash game offers me a different experience in how it plays, Plus, DLC really sucks (imo) for fighters. You really like this new fighter? Well you better god-damn pray that they carry over into the next release of the game or doesn't get pulled for distribution. This is why, to me at least, Street Fighter V is an absolute pile of burning trash someone tried to put out by pissing on. The whole "patch it later" mentality is in full force here, with Capcom getting away with shitting out the most absolute bare minimum of a turd and adding everything important to it later. Im sorry, but if thats the future of games, I will take my yearly re-releases like back in the 90s, any day. I will always judge a game based on the version a company releases on Day-1, no patches. Thats what they felt was acceptable enough to play and want as a reflection of themselves as a developer, then thats what they will be judged by.

Likewise, I also feel that patches, in some ways, take away something "magical" from games. Now absolutely game-destroying bugs that brick your console or make a game unwinnable (Deadline...), thats one thing. But when someone discovers a fun little glitch now a days and it becomes wide-spread knowledge, then one day you update your game and that fun little feature is gone? That kind of stuff sucks and is a reason I decided to just wipe all the updates I had downloaded on my 360 and PS3. I would have far more respect for a dev who knows about a glitch in one of their games, but decides to leave it in-tact if its not harming anything major, then one that just has an absolute need to remove any and all unintended actions in a title. The guys who did the Mega Man Legacy collections felt it was absolutely important to keep in-tact as much of the original's features as possible, glitches and all. Hell, maybe its just false info thats been circulating around for years, but the whole reason Street Fighter 2 really took off as a competitive title was because the combo system was released in a way that was not originally intended. Thats not even getting into the realm of stuff thats been patched out because of copy-rights or someone being offended by something. (LittleBig Planet music, Fire Emblem Three Houses, the different versions of Ocarina of Time). I can accept that later releases of a title would change things, but I despise the idea of turning on my game one day and finding that the dev decided to change it, almost as much as the idea of DRM and a company deciding I cant play a game anymore.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 am

kupomogli wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:there are enugh games thta I like tough not nearly as much compared to the older systems but relay games I would love are rare.

Tbh, if you really are interested in those games then there should be a lot that would interest you.

The Dragon Quest Heroes games are merely okay. I wouldn't even put them in the range of good honestly. They are passable but that's it. If you want a game series like Musou that'll blow you away, then play Yakuza or Fist of the North Star. Those are games based on what you've mentioned that you'd be interested in.

Here's a gameplay video of mine for Yakuza 3, but you should watch Angry Joe's review for Yakuza 0 which would be the best place to start for new players. Considering that 0 and a remake of the original game is on the PS4, there's no need to play the PS2 versions. Now I haven't played the remake to Yakuza 2 because I didn't care for Yakuza 6's changes other than the obvious graphics overall which was amazing and badly needed, but Yakuza 2 also received a remake on the PS4 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWK749b-m5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1cFBtr-ryU

Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise has better gameplay, but the town and world are a bit worse, not because they're bad exactly, it's because instead of having any real storyline after the first few chapters the storyline is your fetch quest stuff and it doesn't reach the level of the sub stories that the Yakuza games do. Most of them are just rather pointless nothing quests. After the first few chapters the storyline only picks up when you meet a boss at the end of the chapter, just displaying commentary from them and Kenshiro. I'm not kidding when I say these are the most badass characters you'll see in a video game. They make Kratos look like a pu***.

Now, Stardew Valley is the best Harvest Moon, but if you're interested in that, maybe also consider Dragon Quest Builders 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTMhU8-nph4

If you like God of War though, the new one, then there are several games that are better. Dark Souls entire trilogy is on the PS4, Bloodborne, DMC HD Collection, DMC4, DmC Devil May Cry which happens to be my favorite in the series only because I havent yet played DMC5. DmC gets crapped on by sheep who have likely never played the game, but story and gameplay it's at the top of the series though I'd say 4 has slightly better gameplay and enemy variety but is not a better game.

I'd even state that similarly, though they're both on the Vita as well and you probably already own them, Ys Origin, Ys8, and the soon to be released Ys9 are incredible games(9 I obviously haven't yet played.) If not for a trophy requesting you to grind to level 60, I'd actually have platinumed Ys Origin, but I have another eight hours of grinding at minimum and it's got the most boring grinding of imaginable, and hey want me to do this sh** for eight hours? Fuck that trophy. That being said, I finished the game with every character on the Nightmare difficulty, I finished boss rush on Nightmare. I finished Ys8 on hard then new game plus on Nightmare and then finished the extra dungeon that only appears once you finish the game in that same difficulty and platinumed the game. These games are freaking amazing.

Those are just recommendations based on your interests, but games that I'd say are truly amazing titls aside from a few I listed above.

Resident Evil 7, now I only have played this in VR, but this has instantly became my favorite in the series. I actually crapped on it a bit because it was in first person but when I finally played it, it does Resident Evil just as well as any game, but better imo. It also has the perfect mix of action and puzzle solving. I'd say puzzle solving in this game is easily my favorite do to one puzzle in the game that I absolutely loved and I guarantee everyone who's played it know what one I'm talking about.

Diviniy Original Sin is pretty much second to none when it comes to western RPGs imo. It is literally the best I've ever played out of any WRPG.

I mentioned THQ Nordic earlier in this thread and I'm honestly disappointed when they publish anything I'm interested in, because the games can actually be rather good. I'm not going to say the game is amazing, but man Battlechasers Nightwar has such a great combat system and really had the potential to be one of the best JRPG style games ever made. It's not a bad game and anyone who likes a lot of strategy within these types of games you should really pick it up because strategy in combat is this games major focus and it doesnt fail in the least.

Dying Light The Following Enhanced Edition is both the original release of Dying Light and its expansion. Now Again, not amazing, but the two different versions offer such diverse styles of gameplay and one is actually very survivalish, while the other one is less so and more open country somewhat racing with survival mixed in. I feel it's really as close as we're going to come to a zombie survival game that doesn't suck. And I mean survival. TLOU is not a survival game, it's a story driven stealth game(amazing game botw.)

Has-Been Heroes like God Hand before it will one day be called a hidden gem despite being crapped all over in the past by journalists who suck at video games. Has-Been Heroes is an incredibly addicting game with strategy at its core. Now yes, it's all RNG, but blaming that as a reason that you can't get past the earlier difficulties is a load of bs, because skills and equipment don't even play a factor in the lower difficulties as much as they do in the much higher difficulties. This game is all about what three characters would be the best to use in each situation with the most simplistic of gameplay, but despite the simplicity the game isn't easy. I will say it's probably a pretty boring game to watch(atleast I'm bored "watching" it) but I've put well over 200 hours into the game and still go back to it once in awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Bp9ZT9Nu0

As I said above, Furi is amazing and is one of my favorite games on this gen, I have played through it many many many times.

https://youtu.be/tYYdkNqGL3w?t=2440

Another favorite of mine is Hotline Miami. The second one was a bit of a disappointment having every stage be close to 99% windows(exaggeration.) It just didn't feel as well balanced. Hotline Miami/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG_Xdunrofg

I own around 200 games, and seriously, if you're interested in God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and the kind of mediocre Dragon Quest Heroes games, then I guarantee that you'd enjoy way way WAY more than that. Seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_jcUfXv40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJxqAui_So
first of about the mosou games I relay like those but yakuza never appealed to me at all and its nothing like a mosou game so i dont realy see how you cna compare those. fist of the northstar I ahd to look up same thing it doesnt compare to a mosou game at all.

dragonquest builders 2 looks amazing to me asside from 1 huge flaw that breaks the game for me

the fucking time limit and lack of creatitivity in the story I played the demo of the first game and whiile it was fun being forced to build all houses the same way and having to do it in a rush that just ruins it for me. I get why it is but still for me it breaks the game.

same issue with the atelier games I wanna like them but the time mechanics ruin the whole series for me.

then god of war yes I like it but I still think I prefer the old god of war still I would like it I am sure of it because I love kratos.

devil may cry looks cool to me as well even though I never played it but not amazing. aybe i wouldnt find the new gow amazing either but it has the potential at least.

ys origins I own I still need ys 8 though I ever played that series either for some reason I realy dont know why maybe because I didn realy knew the series well before I got my vita. also the same charackters every sngle game would get boring to me at some point. I could enjoy 1 or 2 games but after that I would getannoyed by the same charachters in a different universe so to say.

ys origins only reason I heavent played it yet is becaue for the play you need to finish the game multiple times. I despices that I tried that with so many games buti always get bored in the 2nd playtrough. some games like amrio bros 3 I cna finish in a few hours I cna do it but rpgs no way. I still wanna play it at some point when trophies are no longer a thing though.

then re 7 its not for me because games or movies just dont scare me at all sure I get cought with the occasional jumpscare but I am just not scared by anything. 1 time in a haunted house (not a kermis one but realy profesional one) I was with some people that got scared. I just couldnt stop laughing the whole way trough. I almost had to puke a few times because I just couldnt stop laughing. also resident evil is destroyed anyway they changed the gameplay too much.

devinity original sin I dont realy know anything about I have heard it mentioned on a regulair base so maybe I would like that even then its still just 1 game.

the thq nordic games I would probatly like but not love.

furi is what I looked up almost entirely qte which I actualy hate with a passion even in the god of war games I hate those thats 1 reason they are bottem tier on my list of games I love.

hotline miami looks good I own the physical vita version (2 isnt physical sadly) and I know I would like that game a lot heavent played it yet due to trophies again. I will play it when trphies are no issue anymore.

also the thing with dragonquest is its aprtly nostalgic since I love the franchise. 9 on the ds is 1 of my all time favorite ds games

and I am sure there are more games I would like but I wnat games thta I love as well and the ps4 libary as a whole just looks meh to me. they play it way too safe.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby panzermanathod » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:20 am

kupomogli wrote:

Technically. I forgot Nine Breaker, as Formula Front never received a PS2 release in the US. But it wasn't so much that I forgot rather than didn't mention it directly.

Master of Monsters? Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4? There are the only ones that I can think of that are actually remakes and not ports for the most part.

Having not played any of the PS3 AC titles, Nine Breaker was my least favorite of the series. The way it's set up kinda, to me, missed the point of an Armored Core game. But I won't get into that here.

Still, FF did get a PS2 release, although I only played the enhanced PSP version. Weird, though, that the game had a limit to building AC's. You couldn't use the same part on multiple mechs. That said, I could make due with that (since if your suits are varied enough that's not a big issue).

As for the remake I mentioned, Tales of Phantasia. Of the three Tales of games on the system, Phantasia was my favorite, then Destiny, then Eternia (I have some particular issues with Eternia, although I wouldn't call it a bad game).

As for you, Hyde, he Ys games, as far as I know, only uses the same main character. Most other times the rest of the cast is different.

And Furi is *not* entirely QTE. At most certain actions requires specific timing to get the most of it, but it is not a QTE centric game. Are you confusing it with another game?
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:23 am

panzermanathod wrote:
kupomogli wrote:

Having not played any of the PS3 AC titles, Nine Breaker was my least favorite of the series. The way it's set up kinda, to me, missed the point of an Armored Core game. But I won't get into that here.

Still, FF did get a PS2 release, although I only played the enhanced PSP version. Weird, though, that the game had a limit to building AC's. You couldn't use the same part on multiple mechs. That said, I could make due with that (since if your suits are varied enough that's not a big issue).

As for the remake I mentioned, Tales of Phantasia. Of the three Tales of games on the system, Phantasia was my favorite, then Destiny, then Eternia (I have some particular issues with Eternia, although I wouldn't call it a bad game).

As for you, Hyde, he Ys games, as far as I know, only uses the same main character. Most other times the rest of the cast is different.

And Furi is *not* entirely QTE. At most certain actions requires specific timing to get the most of it, but it is not a QTE centric game. Are you confusing it with another game?
ok weirde I was pretty sure the 4 main charackters where the same in all games

and about fury I scimed trough a gameplay video and I saw almost nothing but cutscenes and qte
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby panzermanathod » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 pm

I am not sure what game you looked up, but it certainly isn't Furi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q7qlmOFRtY
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:15 pm

panzermanathod wrote:I am not sure what game you looked up, but it certainly isn't Furi.

it was fury I reconiced the art style in a second
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby panzermanathod » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:39 pm

In that case... I have no idea what video you saw if all you saw were cutscenes and QTEs. I never beat the game (I got a physical copy from here but it's... gone somewhere), but I've played 95% of it and I don't know where you got the idea that it was mostly QTEs and cutscenes.
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:08 pm

panzermanathod wrote:In that case... I have no idea what video you saw if all you saw were cutscenes and QTEs. I never beat the game (I got a physical copy from here but it's... gone somewhere), but I've played 95% of it and I don't know where you got the idea that it was mostly QTEs and cutscenes.
I didnt watch the whole thing but scimed trough it
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:01 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:
panzermanathod wrote:I am not sure what game you looked up, but it certainly isn't Furi.

Furi rarely has QTE, infact, only one guaranteed time in the entire game on the second boss(with a way to avoid it.) The boss grabs you and you move the analog sticks in and out and that's it. I'd say that maybe you'll have five or less of these the entire game.

The game has nothing but bosses and there's exposition between bosses, and then it's all about dodging/reflecting/blocking attacks and attacking/shooting. If you watch the two videos though, the one I linked and the one that panzermanathod posted, you'll see there's really no QTEs then the extremely rare one that might appear just a few times the entire game.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby kazumn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 am

I started collecting old games because it was cheap as fuck of all things and i coulden't afford a new console at the time In the early 2000's you could go to any fleamarket/garage sale and come home with sacks full off good stuff, people diden't really care about these things, they were considered old junk. I remember trading a class mates ps1 games collection to me for a few beers and a couple packs of cigarettes, he diden't care really and was happy.

When i graduated from school and had a decent income and a credit card i started getting into the japanese stuff, i don't know why i've Always been facinated by asian culture maybe that's why i'm into the ntsc-j stuff so much. The pc engine and megadrive were my 2 obsessions at the time, the saturn soon followed suit alongside the n64.

Now the question why do i collect retro? Maybe it's because of nostalgia or it just takes me back to simpler times, you pop in a disc/cartridge and you're good to go. I'm generally a sucker for anything late 80ies/early 90 ies, music/movies/cartoons you name it.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby mr. Hyde » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:08 pm

kupomogli wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:

Furi rarely has QTE, infact, only one guaranteed time in the entire game on the second boss(with a way to avoid it.) The boss grabs you and you move the analog sticks in and out and that's it. I'd say that maybe you'll have five or less of these the entire game.

The game has nothing but bosses and there's exposition between bosses, and then it's all about dodging/reflecting/blocking attacks and attacking/shooting. If you watch the two videos though, the one I linked and the one that panzermanathod posted, you'll see there's really no QTEs then the extremely rare one that might appear just a few times the entire game.
it was way mroe then moving the stick it was pressing buttons at the right time
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby panzermanathod » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:29 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:it was way mroe then moving the stick it was pressing buttons at the right time

As far as QTEs go, no, it isn't way more than that. And as I said, there are some timed button pressing needed but calling those QTEs would be like saying parrying in Street Fighter 3 is a system of QTEs.

What video did you even watch?
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:57 pm

kupomogli wrote:I'd actually have platinumed Ys Origin, but I have another eight hours of grinding at minimum and it's got the most boring grinding of imaginable, and hey want me to do this sh** for eight hours? Fuck that trophy.

I've put well over 200 hours into [another] game and still go back to it once in awhile.

Eight? :lol:

Slap a zero or two onto that and I'd be with you, but 8? :roll:
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

panzermanathod wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:it was way mroe then moving the stick it was pressing buttons at the right time

As far as QTEs go, no, it isn't way more than that. And as I said, there are some timed button pressing needed but calling those QTEs would be like saying parrying in Street Fighter 3 is a system of QTEs.

What video did you even watch?
nio idea I just fulled in furi gameplay on youtube or something and picked one.

and now youadmit there are timed button presses which is the definition of qte
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby panzermanathod » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:01 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:
and now youadmit there are timed button presses which is the definition of qte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzS96auqau0

So would you consider this a series of QTEs?
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan

Next

Return to General Discussions