• Who is online

Feel free to talk about Switch related stuff here!

Postby StormJumper » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:04 am

Just read this on Twitter....

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/1148926574143496193

There's more but linking to the Japan announcement since it is a from Japan.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... _september
StormJumper
LRG Super Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:12 am

Oh look. That thing some people didn't believe was actually coming.
Well one of the two. The other being the one with some muscle.
Last edited by fgsfds100 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby StormJumper » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:16 am

fgsfds100 wrote:Oh look. That thing some people didn't believe was actually coming.
Well one of the two. The other being the one with some muscle.

Well most were expecting something like this would come as that would be the next step. A Pro or more Powerful model will most likely come farther down since this would require cooling specs to handle the heat output if the model is to be able to do 4K or 60fps in handheld mode or even Docked.
StormJumper
LRG Super Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 am

I know. But since I'm waiting for Bayonetta 3 anyway, I'll wait and see what comes of the other rumor. And by that I mean when, because in the world of games, it's an inevitability.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby nepetanya » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:57 am

it'd be more interesting if it didnt A: have hidious colours, i mean really, cheese yellow? no pink? no red? if it even had a pink colour at least id probably pick one up down the line to replace the bland looking normal switch, and B: require extra £70 controllers to even play a chunk of its library, but its a step in the right direction, since a full on portable is a definite improvement imo.
nepetanya
Physical Champion

Postby Best1989 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:17 am

Nice, finally a Switch system suitable for mr.hyde! :lol:

Not digging those colors, but it's an interesting piece. I'll still wait.
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby Fries » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:25 am

Since this doesn't have motion controls, HD rumble, or access to other interesting multiplayer features (seen in games like 1-2 Switch, Mario Party, etc.) because the controllers are hardwired (which also removes the infrared features and Labo support), it's going to discourage developers from making use of those features in future games because a portion of the Switch consumers won't have them.

Nintendo basically just made a significant portion of the flagship functions on their system practically worthless going forward.
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby Grizzled » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:40 am

I like the Pokemon one. It reminds me somewhat of the original Gameboy.

Grizzled
Physical Champion

Postby mr. Hyde » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:44 am

Best1989 wrote:Nice, finally a Switch system suitable for mr.hyde! :lol:

Not digging those colors, but it's an interesting piece. I'll still wait.
not gonna get it anytime soon here it wil be 230 euro which is like 270 dollar or so which is a rippoff

also they take a decent amount of crap away but the pricce doesnt reflect that not even the us one.

and no local multiplayer is painfull as well especialy since I like to trade pokemon with myself

on the other hand the new pokemon games suck so no plans to get those.

either way too expensive for what you get especialy in europe
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby Rhetorical » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:44 am

I think this is a terrible idea

I understand that it is portable, but so is the original Nintendo Switch, and with that you can still use motion controls and many other features that this new lite version is lacking.

I do not understand this one at all.
$300 = nintendo switch with all featuers, dockable and portable
$200 = nintendo switch lite, most features stripped away and only portable, removing certain titles from being playable

I would rather pay an extra $100 for all the extra features, and the ability to pick between docked and undocked and still being able to play all of the switches titles.
Rhetorical
Physical Champion

Postby Best1989 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 am

Genius move to make all the people waiting for a system revision to finally buy a regular Switch.
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby mr. Hyde » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Best1989 wrote:Genius move to make all the people waiting for a system revision to finally buy a regular Switch.
yeah wont work for me though not gonna buy
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:23 pm

fgsfds100 wrote:I know. But since I'm waiting for Bayonetta 3 anyway, I'll wait and see what comes of the other rumor. And by that I mean when, because in the world of games, it's an inevitability.

You do know not all rumours turn out to be true, right?
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby panzermanathod » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:35 pm

As someone who doesn't own a switch and didn't care for all those Joycon gimmicks, having them stripped out, plus the $200 price tag, makes it really appealing. 300 for a Switch is still rather steep for me (given there's less than 5 games I want for it), not to mention I want a Pro controller.

Cuz I so PrO.

The deal breaker, however, is that there's no way to "dock" it. Which means certain games that would receive a performance boost while docked won't get that, and I'd have no way to get it onto my TV. So I'd have to pass on this.
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:38 pm

BenoitRen wrote:
fgsfds100 wrote:I know. But since I'm waiting for Bayonetta 3 anyway, I'll wait and see what comes of the other rumor. And by that I mean when, because in the world of games, it's an inevitability.

You do know not all rumours turn out to be true, right?

No shit, really?!

And do you honestly believe they aren't working on another more powerful machine?
The rumors didn't come from some nobody spouting wishful thinking. They came from industry people who are working with them. And they're 1 / 2 right now.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby FoP » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 am

Hm, my Switch dock has never been unpacked from the box, as I only bought it to serve as a successor to the 3DS as my "portable gaming machine".
The worst thing about the Switch as a portable gaming device is the horrible battery life, so if this can bump it up I'd be more interested. Also glad to see the return of the D-pad!

However the things that's sacrificed for a possibly better battery life are pretty neat ones; the rumble is really good on the Switch, and being able to detach the joy-cons is something I've used in a few of the games I played. Getting through the Mummy-Me Maze in Captain Toad was immensely easier with detached Joy-cons and two-player mode! :D

So yeah, I'll see what I'll do when it's released. It's not something I'll rush out and buy at day one, but if something happens to my original Switch I might pick up this as a replacement console or I might pick it up as a reserve if it goes on sale down the line.
FoP
Ultimate Fan

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:51 am

fgsfds100 wrote:And do you honestly believe they aren't working on another more powerful machine?

Nintendo is always working on new hardware. But that doesn't mean it'll be a Pro model.
The rumors didn't come from some nobody spouting wishful thinking. They came from industry people who are working with them. And they're 1 / 2 right now.

Actually, no. There has been talk of new models ever since the Switch was released, fueled by people who weren't satisfied with the console. Some didn't think it was portable enough. Others thought it was too weak compared to the competition.

But I didn't think Nintendo would follow through on any of this, because it fragments the userbase, and undermines what the Switch actually is. You have here a device that, by default, can't play all of the games due to missing features. An important consequence is likely to be that developers will now think twice before making use of those, and target the lowest common denominator. So even if you have a regular Switch, there's a real chance that you will be getting a lesser experience.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby Fries » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 am

BenoitRen wrote:You have here a device that, by default, can't play all of the games due to missing features. An important consequence is likely to be that developers will now think twice before making use of those, and target the lowest common denominator. So even if you have a regular Switch, there's a real chance that you will be getting a lesser experience.

My thoughts exactly, as I mentioned earlier. Motion controls, HD rumble, tabletop cross-screen gameplay, infrared sensor, vertical/tato mode, Labo support, etc. all gone with this new system, meaning developers are discouraged from using these features now. You still technically can use motion controls and HD rumble on the Lite by syncing other controllers, but it defeats the purpose of the unit itself.

Much like with the introduction of the 2DS, by the end of the 3DS' lifecycle there were games releasing without 3D support at all, because a large portion of that handheld's audience wouldn't be able to use it anyway. And the 3D, while cool, is more of a graphical enhancement rather than additional gameplay/control features, which we're losing with the Lite making it even more concerning.
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby mr. Hyde » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:07 am

the 3d sucked anyway I never used it during gaming it was nice for a few cool videos but asside from that crap
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:59 am

I'm with you and will wait for the pro model.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Fries » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:16 am

mr. Hyde wrote:the 3d sucked anyway I never used it during gaming it was nice for a few cool videos but asside from that crap

Uh, sure, but you completely missed the entire point of the argument. I already stated that the 3D was a nice bonus but a non-essential graphical feature - that isn't the case with the features being removed here with the Lite. It's going to push developers to not use those missing features found on the original Switch going forward, making them either extremely underutilized or outright useless.
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby kazumn » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:35 am

Eh, i'm not really interested in a switch lite. It's just a cheaper version of the switch that is being stripped down off a lot of features imo.
I meanly use my switch in docked mode and in the rare occasions in table top, i'd much rather have a plain ass switch console without the handheld, well something simulair to the ps vita tv, if you know what i mean.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:15 am

Probably would sell like shit, but I would personally be in the market for the opposite of this. Something like a PSTV, just the guts of the system in a non-handheld form that is only an at-home version of the system for a significantly lower price.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby panzermanathod » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:05 pm

kazumn wrote: It's just a cheaper version of the switch that is being stripped down off a lot of features imo.

This is me being pedantic and not at all trying to attack you... that's not an opinion. That's an objective statement. The Switch Lite is objectively a cheaper version of the Switch with a lot of features stripped off.
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:10 am

panzermanathod wrote:
kazumn wrote:imo

that's not an opinion. That's an objective statement

Rare that someone gets the opportunity to tell somebody that instead of the inverse.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby kazumn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:06 pm

panzermanathod wrote:
kazumn wrote: It's just a cheaper version of the switch that is being stripped down off a lot of features imo.

This is me being pedantic and not at all trying to attack you... that's not an opinion. That's an objective statement. The Switch Lite is objectively a cheaper version of the Switch with a lot of features stripped off.

I'm not trying to attack you but your point being? Just trying to tackle me on a spelling error or?
Excuse me sir i only got French, Dutch and very little English in school. why don't i continue this in my native language if you are going to nitpick on a simple grammar mistake , let's see how well you fair :lol:

just kidding I'm aware my english isen't the greatest,so i'll try to keep it in mind when use imo next time ;)
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:26 pm

I don't have a problem with you continuing this in your native language. :P
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby Best1989 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:43 pm

Yeah, that's a classic Panzermanathod comment lol
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby 315retro » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:45 am

I'm kinda happy they did this version. I never really okay my switch in portable mode so an extra handheld is nice to me... My only issue is with saves. If I have 2 switches I wanna be able to... Switch... Between them without having to screw around too much. Swapping out the cartridge is the most bothered I wanna be after an initial setup, maybe a quick less than 3 minutes sync.

Id love an animal crossing themed one, but we all know how they love to bone us on giving the game as a pre-installed copy with special editions...
http://www.instagram.com/315retro/ Check out my collection!!

315retro
Ultimate Fan

Return to Switch Discussion