• Who is online

Talk about everything else here!

Postby BuraddoRun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Which console would it be? If you could only play games from one console for the rest of your life, which would you pick and why?

Rules: 1. PC isn't an option. It's too catch all.
2. You can't play emulated games on your console. This includes downloads of previous generation games (like virtual console stuff) and collections of roms (like Atari or Sega Genesis classics) and remasters. You can play remasters and remakes of games, though.
3. You can play imports if there is a valid way of doing it (with attachments or mods), but not use things like Super GameBoy for the SNES to play GB games.

It's hard for me to say, but I kind of lean toward the NES. I would miss out on a lot of deeper games, it's true. But I would also be able to play tons of different and still fun games, including some of my favorites. And there are still tons of games I have yet to discover on it. It's simple and fun, and is still great for couch multiplayer. It could just be childhood nostalgia, though. I wouldn't be able to play on the go like with a portable. And I wouldn't be able to play online.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby 315retro » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:07 pm

PS1 for sure. Especially if I can play imports.
http://www.instagram.com/315retro/ Check out my collection!!

315retro
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:05 am

nintendo ds lite

I would have the huge ds libary and I would also have the option to play my favorite nes games of all time still since they are part of the nes clasic set on gba and the ds lite plays gba games as well:P
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby Rhetorical » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:10 am

Playstation 2, it had the best JRPGs on it for me.
In al honesty however i do not think i could ever live with just one console. There are too many games spread out across many systems that i enjoy.
Rhetorical
Physical Champion

Postby Tiger-kai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:25 am

DREAMCAST!
Tiger-kai
Physical Champion

Postby Best1989 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:54 am

The Watara Supervision, of course!
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby fgsfds100 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:32 am

SNES. I'd miss plenty of other games from other systems, but I can replay SNES games endlessly and never get bored.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby Fries » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:37 pm

Prior choices like PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, and DS are all speaking to me. PS3 is also a contender.

However, I made a list on Discord (non-LRG) during a server-wide endeavor to make individual lists of our 5-10 favorite games of all time, and all the above except PS1 had representatives on mine, so I think I'll eliminate that from the running. I'm going to assume that homebrews don't count for this hypothetical either, which would put Dreamcast at an even further disadvantage in terms of game library size compared to the others, so I'll eliminate that as well. PS2 has the largest console library of all time, which also includes my favorite game of all time Steambot Chronicles, so that makes it an enticing choice, but...

I think I'll have to go with PS...4. :? Thinking about it, the majority of my favorite PS3 releases have been remastered/remade for PS4 (Ni no Kuni Remastered getting announced sorta put that over the top) and it has a tooon of re-released classics from prior generations mixed in with brand new stuff. Also, PSVR comes along with PS4, which is great for variety if I'm stuck with one system forever.
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby kazumn » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:34 am

Going to give to much boring answer ever answer and say xbox one or ps4, just for convenience sake. I would have enough games to play till i die and yeah both have the best mega drive games on one handy compilation, have pretty much a diversity no other system have. Needless to say there are plenty of games i woulden't mind doing another playtrough.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby nepetanya » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:03 am

either the psp or the vita, both just have most of my favourite games period, tho vita has ports of a lot of the REALLY good psp games like amnesia, kiseki and danganronpa, so maybe that? id miss the psp ports of persona 2 tho, since its my favourite game.
also the mattel hyperscan deserves a mention, i mean, its got scannable cards.
nepetanya
Physical Champion

Postby jrmann33 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:16 am

The nostalgia in me would probably pick SNES or PS1 because of all the rpgs and platformers. But I honestly might have to go with my PS4. It just has so many great games and has pulled a lot of their previous best selling games onto the system from previous consoles like Ps1-3. Plus it also encompasses all the great indie games that have come out in the last decade.
jrmann33
Ultimate Fan

Postby BLINXERIZER » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:35 am

I'd probably go with PS1. It has a great lineup of games across a variety of genres.

Please visit my Deviantart page: https://crimson-x.deviantart.com/

XBX: BLINXERIZER
PSN: BLINXERIZER
NS: SW-6594-8506-3402

Join the LRG forums!
http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/limitedrunforums/index.php
BLINXERIZER
Forum Mod

Postby mr. Hyde » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:39 am

BLINXERIZER wrote:I'd probably go with PS1. It has a great lineup of games across a variety of genres.
why not take an ps2 or 3 then?

those play ps1 games as well and you get 2 libaries of games instead of one and its not against the rules either since its not emulated or a download:P
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:45 am

The ability to play PS1 games on a PS3 is done by (official) emulation.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby mr. Hyde » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:37 pm

BenoitRen wrote:The ability to play PS1 games on a PS3 is done by (official) emulation.
I dont get how it is emulation but ps2 it is then
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Original PS3s had a PS2 chip in them so they could natively run PS2 games.
The next model didn't have the PS2 chip but they had software emulation to simulate the chip.
Then they patched (your favorite) out the emulation and later models can't play PS2 discs at all.

So, following the rules, only an original model PS3 would be allowed.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby Mr.KonaSoni » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:52 pm

I can´t, there is a lot of Konami games for a lot consoles that I like and enjoy.
My list of recommendable Konami games from decent to great.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

My Blog

https://cheapbrokenpizza.blogspot.com/
This is the list of the Konami games that I have in my collection, Thank you Konami for everything, I am a real Konami hero!!.
https://vgcollect.com/mrkonasoni

573!!
Mr.KonaSoni
LRG Super Fan

Location: There is a place in hell for someone with a cursed blood as mine, its name is... throne.

Postby kupomogli » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:10 pm

fgsfds100 wrote:So, following the rules, only an original model PS3 would be allowed.

60GB PS3 it is then.

However if I was to only play one console and the games for that console only, the choice would be between PS1 and PS4, currently leaning towards the first one but I'll put a little time into forming a detailed opinion of why or why not I'll go for one or the other.

I'll explain why it wouldn't be the PS2, PS3, and PSP line up of games despite being such amazing consoles. PS3 has a lot of great games that aren't on any console, and when it comes to third person action/adventure games, this console as well as the 360 are the best contenders of them all. Problem with the PS3 is that many of the games have been ported over to the PS4, and the PS4 is an altogether better console in nearly every other genre but driving.

PS2 trounces PS4 in the quality of JRPGs and definitely the quantity of the titles released, and when the games are great on the PS2, the PS4 has nothing that can compare to that specific quality, but the PS4 titles in comparison have sort of a bare minimum quality, atleast in retail games, that has never fallen close to any of the worst PS2 titles I've played. There's also the fact that a lot of great PS2 games also exist on the PS4.

The PSP is really the least comparable of the bunch, as it's has a lot of great games in a lot of different genres, but the amount of releases are of far lower count than any of the others.

The PS1 however has a huge amount of great JRPGs that none of the other consoles can compare to, and back during that generation, most of the JRPGs were great, and if you were to even compare the very worst ones to a lot of games released now, even those games are the better experience. The PS1 had a lot of real time strategy titles, a ton of great racing and fighting games, great platformers, and also great action/adventures, but like the PS2, the PS4 does surpass the action/adventure titles by landslide. It all really comes down to if there are really that many PS1 titles are that much more above and beyond those released on the PS4 and I do feel that yes, there may be. However, I also have to consider would it be worth giving up the vast amount of different genres that the PS4 has on offer with an altogether lesser experience but a wider variety of great experiences.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:15 am

After a few paragraphs in, decided to deleted everything I typed. So without writing a book about it, the PS4. The variety of games on the PS4, in addition a few genres of games are better than they've ever been since the launch of PS360. While the PS1 has a lot of great games and the RPG titles on the system are excellent, I decided I'd go with variety. I don't think the lack of variety would matter, infact a lot of these PS1 games, JRPGs included, I've played many times, some games like Brigandine I've played several files back to back, but still going with PS4 because of variety.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby VoltronsGrundle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:46 am

Well with these terrible arbitrary rules excluding virtual console/psn games or classic game collections the answer is clearly the SNES. Period
Defender of the Universe
VoltronsGrundle
LRG Super Fan

Postby Aggie Tsubi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:24 am

SNES is still my favorite system, so I suppose I'd go with that.

Realistically, I should probably pick my backlit Game Boy Advance SP. I've probably played it more than any other system I own. Between original Game Boy games, Game Boy Color games, and Game Boy Advance games, there's a ton to play. It would allow me to play one of my favorite games in my favorite series (Star Ocean: Blue Sphere), whereas the SNES only has the first Star Ocean, which I love but isn't nearly as good as SO2 and Blue Sphere. There are also lots of ports of NES and SNES games I love, even if they're not necessarily the best versions of those games, and there are plenty of original GBA games that have the same kind of feel as SNES games.
Aggie Tsubi
Physical Champion

Postby kupomogli » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:17 pm

VoltronsGrundle wrote:Well with these terrible arbitrary rules excluding virtual console/psn games or classic game collections the answer is clearly the SNES. Period

He said ports and remasters count, While I do think game collections being disregarded would be fine for a top five games on a system if you could only play five games, in this case I think they should have still been here. However they were probably removed from inclusion because how pointless it'd be to choose some systems over another when you just have a game collection. Why choose the Sega Genesis when one of many collections include a lot of the best games from the library? There are still a lot of great Genesis games out there, a lot of them which are far better than what's on the collection, but a majority of its best games are on these collections, so if you consider that and all the other games these consoles have available on their own, kind of pointless to even consider the Genesis here.

I didn't take it to mean series collections though, games like the Mega Man Collections, Devil May Cry or Metal Slug which are a single series of games and not collections that are representations of a console.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Return to General Discussions