• Who is online

Talk about everything else here!

Postby BuraddoRun » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Don't you hate it when something good gets dumbed down for modern kids? This happens a LOT when shows get imported from Japan (tons of censorship despite the originals being aimed at kids, too). Pokemon, One Piece, YuGiOh, Power Rangers...lots of censorship with those shows.

That happens because of different sensibilities in different countries, but what are some examples of things within their origin country that get dumbed down? Here are a few I can think of:

1. Tom & Jerry: The old Hannah Barbera cartoons were magnificent! Lots of humor, great artwork, and a straightforward premise. There was lots of creativity there, but modern versions had T&J become friends and do far less violent things. But violence was super cartoony in the 40s & 50s cartoons. Kids KNEW it wasn't real and wasn't something to emulate except when pretending (which was fake violence).
2. Pink Panther: the original cartoons had a cool, smooth, cat. But modern editions had him TRY to be cool (if you have to try, you're already uncool) and even talk!
3. Gon: This one is Japanese, but the original manga had no dialogue, and Gon was a little dinosaur jerk who did what he wanted and put other jerk animals in their place. He also helped other weak animals get tough. It was a very original comic and the artwork was amazing. But I guess they made a 3D show where all the animals talked and Gon smiled much more than he snarled.It's...OK I guess, but nothing compared to the original and the charm it had.

I guess i just wish that things kept more true to themselves. If you want to make something for young kids, make it like that from the get-go. I guess some things outlast their original creators (Tom & Jerry), and thus they want to make it relevant to today's market. But man does the new stuff pale in comparison to the original.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Rhetorical » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:25 am

The remake of Watership Down is the only thing that currently occurs to me at the moment.

Not at all like the original.
Not gruesome enough, no real morals, added uneeded love triangle and the new theme song pales in comparison to Simon and Garfukels Bright Eyes.
I am sure there are more things but that is all I can think of right now.
Rhetorical
True Believer

Postby mr. Hyde » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:34 am

I do hate that but many times I also hate the oppisite like what they did with the power rangers movie.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby 315retro » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Try checking out the TMNT comics (New or old)... Aside from the Archie stuff they were always pretty dark and brutal. I can't complain too much because I grew up loving the kiddie turtles but as an adult I'd kill for an adult oriented turtles movie or game adaptation.

The weapons aren't just there to look cool.
http://www.instagram.com/315retro/ Check out my collection!!

315retro
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:07 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:I do hate that but many times I also hate the oppisite like what they did with the power rangers movie.

What do you mean? What did they do? I'm more of a Super Sentai than Power Rangers fan, so I'm not very knowledgeable in the specifically PR department. Ido know that the newer PR comics from BOOM! are more adult-oriented, though. Heck, the Battle For The Grid is based on those comics, where a dark Tommy Oliver kills of Rangers from the different series, including himself in the prime universe.

315retro wrote:Try checking out the TMNT comics (New or old)... Aside from the Archie stuff they were always pretty dark and brutal. I can't complain too much because I grew up loving the kiddie turtles but as an adult I'd kill for an adult oriented turtles movie or game adaptation.

The weapons aren't just there to look cool.

Yeah man, the original comics were great! I found them after watching the cartoon, which I also loved! There's a new one on the shelves now which is their 3rd (I think) team-up with Batman. Krang, who I guess never appeared in the original comics, is mixing up universes in order to defeat the original black & white team, but Raphael is helping the current team and Batman fix things and take Krang down!
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby 315retro » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:09 pm

I usually wait for arcs to finish and then grab the trade paperback for it. Definitely looking forward to that. There's a ghostbusters Mashup too that was great haha.

If you're liking tmnt x batman there's supposed to be an animated film coming up too!
http://www.instagram.com/315retro/ Check out my collection!!

315retro
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:26 pm

315retro wrote:
If you're liking tmnt x batman there's supposed to be an animated film coming up too!

I think it's out, actually. I'll have to check it out.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby kazumn » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:19 am

90 ies Spider-Man cartoon comes to my mind, it was dark and depressive in a way and had a great story overall, i'd almost say it's a cartoon more suited for adults then kids.

Recent Spider-Man cartoons ( i think it was ultimate) are just meh, they just try to hard to look Spider-Man look cool and the jokes are just awful.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Return to General Discussions