• Who is online

Feel free to talk about Switch related stuff here!

Postby StormJumper » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Has any other gamers and game buyers noticed how the EU and JPN markets seems to get extras or exclusives that the NA market doesn't seem to have? I notice this when you look at the Amazon US compared to Amazon UK for the same subject products the two variations are night and day.

Take this Astrail Chains...

NA - Astral Chain (standard)

EU(UK) - Astral Chain Collector’s Edition + special art board

JPN - Astral Chain Collectors Edition (no special art board shown)

The Prices reflect this but is there not a reason why a NA buyer would also buy this. I might cancel my Japan order to get the UK version since that has a art board but everything else for both are the same.
StormJumper
LRG Super Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Goes both ways. There are instances when the US gets stuff that the EU or Japan doesn't. Happens with games, music (extra songs) and probably a lot of other stuff too.
Far too many products out there to know how it all balances out across the board though.

I think confirmation bias is a pretty significant factor, but I experience it too. We think nothing of it when our own region gets something that others don't, but we get upset when others get things that we don't.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby OneVurfedGwrx » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 am

Namco LEs in Europe are usually neutered compared to the US ones. I stopped buying Tales of CEs for this reason.
OneVurfedGwrx
LRG Super Fan

Postby StormJumper » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:49 pm

fgsfds100 wrote:Goes both ways. There are instances when the US gets stuff that the EU or Japan doesn't. Happens with games, music (extra songs) and probably a lot of other stuff too.
Far too many products out there to know how it all balances out across the board though.

I seen the opposite it's the NA market that gets the drought. And only if you import from Japan or EU markets do you get the extras versions at a cost.

fgsfds100 wrote:I think confirmation bias is a pretty significant factor, but I experience it too. We think nothing of it when our own region gets something that others don't, but we get upset when others get things that we don't.

I think it's more NA doesn't get the bigger packages and only if the retailers have only one version does the NA markets gets equivalent versions.
StormJumper
LRG Super Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 pm

Again, without empirical data, that's just anecdotal. And as I said, while I share the same bias in casual conversation, I won't claim to know which region definitively has the shortest end of the stick.
I've seen and heard plenty of complaints from Europeans about not getting this or that, so I know it's a mixed bag.

But if you want to put in the time to see how things truly stack up, this (probably incomplete) list might be a good start.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_v ... d_editions

At the end of the day, with the internet and global shipping, the whole world is open for business. It's not like back in the day when if your local stores didn't carry something you were out of luck unless you had the means to just travel and shop on a whim. These days, if I really want something from another region, I can find it and decide if I'm willing to pay the price, all without leaving the house. Just a few weeks ago, I was trying to get a set of collectibles associated with a series I like, but 1 of the 8 was sold out. Turns out the company's European site had all of them in stock, shipped internationally, and, after currency conversions, the full set from the EU site ended up being about $30 cheaper than the incomplete set from the US site. Sometimes it's cheaper, sometimes it's not. Win some, lose some.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:01 pm

fgsfds100 wrote:At the end of the day, with the internet and global shipping, the whole world is open for business. It's not like back in the day when if your local stores didn't carry something you were out of luck unless you had the means to just travel and shop on a whim. These days, if I really want something from another region, I can find it and decide if I'm willing to pay the price, all without leaving the house.

This, thankfully. Look at us! On this forum, we've got people from all over the world who order LRG games.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 pm

its a long known thing most of the time europe gets the short end of the stick easy to see with games from atlus etc.

most pall exclusives are shovelware. but still japan gets more then both of us combined
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby kazumn » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:06 am

Don't really care for if some region get's a collectors edition and the other does, most of time i find them not worth the money and lets be honest they just take up too much space, also the box sizes are all over the place making them a pain in the ass to store.

Also with systems being region free importing is easier and cheaper then ever before.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby StormJumper » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:36 pm

kazumn wrote:Don't really care for if some region get's a collectors edition and the other does, most of time i find them not worth the money and lets be honest they just take up too much space, also the box sizes are all over the place making them a pain in the ass to store.

Also with systems being region free importing is easier and cheaper then ever before.

That's why collectors get them. How one stores them is up to them. And collectors volumes hold their value better then standard versions. And not everyone get import for the prices they sell at.
StormJumper
LRG Super Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:16 am

I have been weening myself off of CE/LE. Not that I dont enjoy them, but with so many limited releases coming out from different companies, plus still buying retro stuff, I rather get 2 or 3 games for the price of a single CE. It has to be a special edition of a series or game I particularly enjoy. I will always try and get anything from Nintendo, though I dont feel the need to go for regional versions with extra stuff (though I am still super pissed with the shit they pulled with Bayonetta 1 for Switch being locked to a special edition package). At one point, I was buying pretty much every LE that NISA was releasing, but I have not really ordered anything from them in a year and a half, though there are a couple still in stock I do want to pursue.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby kazumn » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:15 am

StormJumper wrote:
kazumn wrote:Don't really care for if some region get's a collectors edition and the other does, most of time i find them not worth the money and lets be honest they just take up too much space, also the box sizes are all over the place making them a pain in the ass to store.

That's why collectors get them. How one stores them is up to them. And collectors volumes hold their value better then standard versions. And not everyone get import for the prices they sell at.

When you have a collection of 10k+ games (all cib) and about 200 boxed consoles/handhelds or maybe more i haven't counted yet really but it's somewhere in that region, space is starting to matter, my gameroom sort off became a storage area over the years, it was never my intention that it became like that but it is what it is. I'm not inclined to downsize as it's my passion and probably will be adding to it for years to come. So sacrifices have to be made :

I put about 3000 games last summer in my attic because i don't have the room for them anymore, maybe about 150 collectors editions i gathered over the years that just toke up too much space, it's just a pain to store imo.

As for value, it's a mixed bag, i can see the limited print stuff keeping it's value for the time being the rest will likely drop in price over time.
Like i said i find them expensive for what they offer most of the time, i much rather spend the extra money i would pay for a ce on another game.
I just don't care about an artbook i'm going to flip trough once, a soundtrack i'm never going to listen and a figurine i'm never going to display.

If you are into collectors edition and you enjoy that by all means please continue to do so, just my oppinion.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Return to Switch Discussion