Ultimate Fan

Postby kube00 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Sign me up! Neo-Geo mini coming next!
Co-Founder of http://www.the-gamers-lounge.com/
Former EIC of Goozernation.com
kube00
Physical Champion

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 pm

We already had 2 Neogeo mini systems. I will take an amiga plug n play though.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:43 pm

So this sounds like it lets you play original games on it. The notes under the video link Blinx gave say

"It's set to return in the form of the TurboGrafx-16 mini, a new compact model that comes preloaded with a selection of popular titles! Now you can play all your old favorites to your heart's content!"

If that's the case, hopefully the emulation is perfect or maybe it won't be emulation but rather runs off hardware!? It's probably emulation, though. Still, color me intrigued. I tried to go to Konami's website to find out more but after I entered my birth date it shot me back to the front page.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Fries » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:02 am

The PC Engine comes with Rondo of Blood, while the TurboGrafx 16 does not.

Color me disappointed. :/
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby Best1989 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:34 am

Nice reveal, I was wondering who would do this one. Hopefully the games will run great looks at the PS1 Mini >_>
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby VitaVision » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:46 am

I like the TG16 but this is an instant fail outside of Japan. Also, why is Konami doing it?
All that is what is and will be

-James Hetfield
VitaVision
LRG Super Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:54 pm

I know this is Konami we are talking about here, but they have to included Rondo of Blood on the international versions. Correct me if I am wrong, but the unlockable orginal version in Dracula X Chronicles was already a fully translated version, wasnt it? Would be so simple for them to do.

Also, why is Konami doing it?

Probably because they own Hudson, who I believe helped develop the console? NEC was the manufacturer.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby kube00 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Dr. Robotnik wrote:We already had 2 Neogeo mini systems. I will take an amiga plug n play though.

Interesting, while I know we sort of had two Neo Geo Mini systems they weren't great. Interesting idea about the Amiga, I'd probably buy one for the heck of it
Co-Founder of http://www.the-gamers-lounge.com/
Former EIC of Goozernation.com
kube00
Physical Champion

Postby pancakeday » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Maybe it was never popular that in the UK. But I'd never heard of this console until a couple of years ago. No friends of mine ever owned one and to this day never seen one in the flesh (that I recall).
pancakeday
True Believer

Postby Fries » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Turns out the libraries of the TurboGrafx-16 Mini and PC Engine Mini are included with both units - 50 titles (24 TurboGrafx and 26 PC Engine) for each. Some titles overlap between the two, but have regional differences that make them unique.

Trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLtj ... WbNzvb_mv8
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:52 pm

I dont know if its them trying to appeal to retro enthusiasts or just being lazy throwing both line-ups on to the same system. I could also see it maybe being them just not able to find enough titles released outside of Japan to throw on the international version. Regardless, I actually really like that idea, saves on feeling like you need to import 2 versions of the system to get all the games, minus one exclusive on the Japanese version. It is cool to be able to swap between different regional versions of the same game, but at the same time, it does feel a little cheap counting that over-lap towards the 50 games claim, especially when I believe the Genesis Mini is going to allow the same thing for some titles, and doesn't have them take up their own spot on the system. Air Zonk is cool to have on it, but I really wish Rockabilly Paradise was on also, if only for the soundtrack. I also wish the entire Bonk trilogy had been on it. And of course I was hoping they would throw on the 2 versions of Magical Chase as added incentive to buy it, but I wasn't really holding my breath.

All in all, this is pretty much the best thing Konami has actually released in a long, long time.

Any truth to this being an Amazon exclusive item outside of Japan? Saw some random comment a long those lines.

HOLD THE HELL UP!!! GINGA FUKEI DENSETSU IS ON THIS!? This may be the best of these mini consoles...
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 am

Here is a full list for anyone interested where you can see actually how many games are on it, not counting overlap, plus which ones will be in Japanese/have Japanese version option. 45 is the true number of titles on the system, one title is exclusive to Japanese system and one is exclusive to international system.

And yes, it does look like this is going to be an Amazon exclusive item, but possibly only in some regions?

ARCADE STYLE
-Bomberman '93
-JP: Bomberman ’94
-Space Harrier
-JP: Fantasy Zone
-Chew-Man-Fu
-Parasol Stars

SPORTS
-Power Golf
-JP: Appare! Gateball (Japanese variation of croquet)

RACING
-Victory Run
-Moto Roader

VERTICAL SHOOTERS
-Blazing Lazers
-JP: Super Star Solider
-Solider Blade
-JP: Star Parodier
-JP: Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire

HORIZONTAL SHOOTERS
-Air Zonk
-R-Type (North America "complete" version)
-Psychosis
-Lords of Thunder
-JP: Super Darius
-JP: Aldynes
-JP: Gradius
-JP: Gradius II - Gofer no Yabō
-JP: Salamander (NOT IN JAPANESE SYSTEM)
-JP: Chō Aniki

ACTION-ADVENTURE/RPG
-Dungeon Explorer/JP: Dungeon Explorer
-Neutopia/JP: Neutopia
-Neutopia II/JP: Neutopia II
-Ys Book I&II/JP: Ys I・II
-JP: Jaseiken Necromancer (turn-based)

SIDE-SCROLLING (Action/Platformer)
-JP: PC Genjin (Bonk's Adventure outside of Japan)
-Bonk's Revenge
-New Adventure Island
-J.J. & Jeff
-Ninja Spirit
-Cadash
-JP: The Kung Fu (China Warrior outside of Japan)
-JP: Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'n Ghosts)
-JP: Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
-JP: Akumajō Dracula X Chi no Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood)

OTHER
-Alien Crush (pinball)
-Military Madness (Hex-Grid Strategy)/JP: Nectaris
-JP: Super Momotaro Dentetsu II (board-game)
-JP: Snatcher (Adventure)
-JP: Bomberman Panic Bomber (puzzle)
-JP:Tokimeki Memorial (dating-sim) (NOT IN INTERNATIONAL SYSTEM)
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:42 am

Fries wrote:Turns out the libraries of the TurboGrafx-16 Mini and PC Engine Mini are included with both units - 50 titles (24 TurboGrafx and 26 PC Engine) for each. Some titles overlap between the two, but have regional differences that make them unique.

Trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLtj ... WbNzvb_mv8

The list of each that I read listed both TG16 games and PCE games and then the list of games on the PCE mini had differences in itself. It honestly makes this release great, but very cheap when there's really only 45 unique games when they really could have added 50 unique games. The other thing, games like Snatcher are pointless for the TG16 version of this because it's pretty much unplayable for those who live in the US. I'll just wait for the Sega CD mini.

That being said, many of these games don't need English. Now Rondo of Blood being on there is cool and all, but it's not like this is the first time that Rondo is available physically either. It's available on Dracula X Chronicles alongside the amazing remake. It seems that a lot of people have forgotten about that with how many times I've seen the game brought up.

There's a lot of great games, but man, there's great games missing. One thing I want to point out is Alien Crush over Devil's Crush. I find Devil's Crush to be the better game. And where the hell is Splatterhouse? That's my favorite game on the system. I'm not a fan of shmups and there's way too many shmups on this thing when they could have a lot of other games instead.

I've played quite a bit of emulation for TG16 though yet have never owned one, and I've only never actually started collecting because it's way out of the price range for games I want. If it comes out in the US, I'll purchase it and then put everything else I'm interested on it then put off ever collecting for it.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby Best1989 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:19 am

Best1989
Global Mod

Postby fgsfds100 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:52 pm

^ 2:56 :lol:

Also it wasn't until right after that outburst when he got back up close to the camera that I was like... is that the head of a cartoon dick behind him? ...so I rewinded to when he stepped back to yell, and yep, it's a big cartoon dick.

That guy though...

As for me, I have no interest in any classic/mini consoles. When it comes to old games, I'll either buy the originals or emulate. And as for the PC Engine and TurboGrafx specifically, I've never played either of them so I have no connection to them. Never heard of any of their exclusives, not into shooters, and I really don't care if any multi-platform games are better or best on those machines. And in general, all "greatest hits" selections I've ever seen, whether it's music, games, or whatever, are always very polarizing if not outright poor. I'll always prefer to curate my own collection than buy an assorted bundle.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby Best1989 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Yeah, it's a cabinet he built some months ago to store the most expensive games of his NES collection lol He is a character, I always enjoy the meltdowns he has :lol:
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby 315retro » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:53 pm

Never collected for or desired one of these consoles.

A mini is perfect for me. Hope I can mod it.

I wish they'd keep doing these for more expensive consoles. Something like Sega Cd and saturn. I have no desire to collect for those but I'd buy a mini and mod it in a heartbeat. That way I own it in a very semi official way. Official enough for me.
http://www.instagram.com/315retro/ Check out my collection!!

315retro
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:52 am

Best1989 wrote:https://youtu.be/tNJh583Z1ic

So if you go back and look I mentioned Splatterhouse being my favorite game on the console. I decided to watch this video, listen to his opinions on the console and the ending was amazing. He makes a great point when he points out that a lot of favorites are missing from this list.

Yes there are great games on some of these mini systems, but these are a small portion of some of the systems greatest games. There's no reason that any one of these systems, shouldn't have all 20, 40, 50, whatever amount of games, being absolutely fu**ing amazing. The only classic system that really nailed it, even with a few missing titles that could perfect the list, was the SNES Classic. The NES Classic did the second best, but damn it's ridiculous how poorly done some of these are despite the sprinkle of great content.

He makes another point with Snatcher being on the list. It's a slap in the face to people in the west who want to own a playable copy of Snatcher because the damn game is in Japanese. Sure there's the Sega CD version, but it's on this list and it's a huge slap in the face. So not only do you have less than 50 games, you have even less of a playable list with games like Snatcher that are now unplayable due to incompetence of including games people can't even freaking play.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:50 am

I may or may not get this. I like that all these mini systems are coming out, but it's been hit and miss. The only one I've actually purchased so far is the SNES Classic, and the only other one I'm planning to buy for sure (pending bad reviews once reviewers get their hands on it) is the Genesis Mini.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby gavme » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:00 pm

I think I'll be getting it as there aren't too many easy ways to play TurboGrafx games, unlike SNES, NES, Megadrive etc which have umpteen different ways.
gavme
I want to believe

Postby VitaVision » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:35 am

Best1989 wrote:https://youtu.be/tNJh583Z1ic

Holy shit, that dude has some issues
All that is what is and will be

-James Hetfield
VitaVision
LRG Super Fan

Return to The Retro VG Zone