• Who is online

Talk about everything else here!

Postby BuraddoRun » Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Has anyone else seen the movie yet? I enjoyed it! I think it's clearly made for Pokemon fans but non-Pokemon fans can probably enjoy it, too, as long as they can handle quirkiness. It's got a good mix of real-sounding and silly video-game dialogue. They captured the essence, the FEEL of the Pokemon world well, while again, mixing in...well, live action. And the end credits were a treat for Pokemon fans. I won't spoil it, but it was definitely a treat.

Great idea for a one-off movie, and a one-off game, I guess. I haven't played the game yet. Watching the movie made me feel the urge to play a proper Pokemon game again, though. Come on Sword/Shield!
Last edited by BuraddoRun on Tue May 14, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Bozley » Tue May 14, 2019 1:15 pm

I liked it a lot. There were a lot of funny parts and it was fun to look out for all the Pokemon I recognized. And the credits were a really cool but of fan-service.

Bozley
LRG Super Fan

Postby Tekkaman » Tue May 14, 2019 1:43 pm

I saw it this weekend as well and I really liked it. The story was very well done, the characters were believable, the Pokémon looked fantastic, and the Easter eggs and references are a major treat for fans. The end credits are very cool as well. It was refreshing to see a video game movie where everyone understood and respected the source material. This, of course, made the Sonic the Hedgehog trailer that showed before the movie even more tone-deaf and ridiculous.

I look forward to seeing what other stories Legendary Pictures decides to tell in the Pokémon universe.
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby Best1989 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm

I still need to go and watch it. All the times are while I'm at the office, though. I'll have to go on a weekend and surrounded by lil kids lmao
Best1989
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Tue May 14, 2019 3:07 pm

the game was a big failure a puzzle that has nog ligic and is just trial and error and 1 of the worst endings I have ever seen in a game

the movie not interested at all

I am a huge pokemon fan but the designs just look terrible and scary great for an horror movie maybe.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby Tekkaman » Tue May 14, 2019 4:04 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:I am a huge pokemon fan but the designs just look terrible and scary great for an horror movie maybe.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. Personally, I thought the majority of the Pokémon were very cute. In fact, the only one I thought looked weird was Ludicolo. I just thought it was a weird choice to translate his poncho as a thick coat of fur. Other than that, I thought they looked great.

As for the movie's story, without spoiling anything, I will say it is nothing like the video game. The general concept of a talking Pickachu and Tim Goodman working together to find his missing father is the same. Everything else is completely original. So, at the very least, don't pre-judge the movie based on the game as that would be unfair to the film.
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Tue May 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Tekkaman wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:I am a huge pokemon fan but the designs just look terrible and scary great for an horror movie maybe.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. Personally, I thought the majority of the Pokémon were very cute. In fact, the only one I thought looked weird was Ludicolo. I just thought it was a weird choice to translate his poncho as a thick coat of fur. Other than that, I thought they looked great.

As for the movie's story, without spoiling anything, I will say it is nothing like the video game. The general concept of a talking Pickachu and Tim Goodman working together to find his missing father is the same. Everything else is completely original. So, at the very least, don't pre-judge the movie based on the game as that would be unfair to the film.
the film ruined the game because of the film they gave the game the shitty open ending.

mr mime looks scary as hell charizard does too and a bunch of others as well.

and even the ''cute'' ones look terrible

its just not for me and I have seen over 20 pokemon movies only the remakes I didnt see or retellings.

great for the people who enjoy it just not for me
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Tue May 14, 2019 6:55 pm

I thought it was pretty decent. Only disappointment was them not going through with casting Danny DeVito.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby 315retro » Tue May 14, 2019 9:14 pm

I haven't been to a theater since... The first of the star wars new installments. I broke my tailbone when I was like 15 and still have trouble to sit still for 2 hours at a time.

I almost went on Sunday for mothers day but we decided to wait until this Sunday to maybe be a little less crowded. That combined with sitting in the back row let's me stretch some. I definitely want to see it tho!!
http://www.instagram.com/315retro/ Check out my collection!!

ImageImage
315retro
Ultimate Fan

Postby BLINXERIZER » Wed May 15, 2019 8:53 am

Tekkaman wrote:

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. Personally, I thought the majority of the Pokémon were very cute. In fact, the only one I thought looked weird was Ludicolo. I just thought it was a weird choice to translate his poncho as a thick coat of fur.

That's because it actually is fur if you go by it's actual description.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ludicolo_(Pok%C3%A9mon)
Join the LRG forums!
http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/limitedrunforums/index.php

Please visit my Deviantart page: https://crimson-x.deviantart.com/

XBX: BLINXERIZER
PSN: BLINXERIZER
SW-6594-8506-3402
BLINXERIZER
Ultimate Fan

Postby Tekkaman » Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 am

mr. Hyde wrote:the film ruined the game because of the film they gave the game the shitty open ending.

The original version of the game was released in Japan in 2016. The updated version was released in March of 2018, which means work on the expanded version had to predate that by a year or more. The film didn't start production until January of 2018. I fail to see how there could be that much connection/influence between the two projects. Where are you getting this information?

BLINXERIZER wrote:That's because it actually is fur if you go by it's actual description.

Mind. Blown. Well, I guess my one issue with the Pokémon designs is null and void. I am back up to being fully impressed with their portrayal! :lol:
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 am

Tekkaman wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:the film ruined the game because of the film they gave the game the shitty open ending.

The original version of the game was released in Japan in 2016. The updated version was released in March of 2018, which means work on the expanded version had to predate that by a year or more. The film didn't start production until January of 2018. I fail to see how there could be that much connection/influence between the two projects. Where are you getting this information?

BLINXERIZER wrote:That's because it actually is fur if you go by it's actual description.

Mind. Blown. Well, I guess my one issue with the Pokémon designs is null and void. I am back up to being fully impressed with their portrayal! :lol:
the game story doesnt end it just leaves a whole which is explained in the movie
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby BLINXERIZER » Fri May 17, 2019 2:11 am

mr. Hyde wrote:
Tekkaman wrote:

the game story doesnt end it just leaves a whole which is explained in the movie

The movie is only an adaptation, not a 1:1 copy.
Join the LRG forums!

SW-6594-8506-3402
BLINXERIZER
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Fri May 17, 2019 3:40 am

BLINXERIZER wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:
Tekkaman wrote:

The movie is only an adaptation, not a 1:1 copy.
stil made it so the game has no ending so people would go to the movie which is a dick move
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby Tekkaman » Sat May 18, 2019 2:21 pm

Sometimes, stories are simply open-ended. I doubt that the game's development team even knew there was going to be a movie during active development. I have asked you where you are getting this information and you have yet to provide any. So far it is just sounds like a conspiracy theory concocted by you personally.
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Sat May 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Tekkaman wrote:Sometimes, stories are simply open-ended. I doubt that the game's development team even knew there was going to be a movie during active development. I have asked you where you are getting this information and you have yet to provide any. So far it is just sounds like a conspiracy theory concocted by you personally.
its not even an open ending it has no ending

the ending feels like the game stops just at the conclusion thats easy to look up

then this info

he film began pre-production in 2017, and was filmed in London in 2018

the game was released worldwide in march 2018

the film going in pre production means that all talks etc are already done so yeah pretty sure they knew. and even if they didnt

and they changed stuff between the game and the movie but for the mst parts its almost the same

but where the movie has an ending the game stops pretty much at the conclusion to not spoil the films ending.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby Tekkaman » Sat May 18, 2019 2:37 pm

So, the funny thing is that you look at those dates and think it means the two teams were in cahoots. I look at the same dates and think there's no way the two teams could be collaborating with how long it takes to make a game and how much longer it takes to finish a movie (pre-production, production, post-production). So, if this is the only evidence you are bringing to the table, I am afraid it doesn't give you much of a leg to stand on. If the game came out in March of 2018 and the film didn't even start actual production until February 2018, that means the game was LONG finished before the film went into production as it is usually a good 3-6 months of bug fixes and other quality assurance before it reaches release. When a film is in pre-production, SO many things can change by the time production starts. Heck, sometimes things change DURING and even AFTER production.

So, was there a small overlap between the two productions? Yes. Was it enough that either production could influence the other? No way. Of course, considering you haven't seen the movie, there is no way for you to fully understand this. While I respect your decision to not see it, I must ask you to stop accusing the film from ruining the game unless you are going to present any sort of actual evidence.
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Sat May 18, 2019 2:48 pm

Tekkaman wrote:So, the funny thing is that you look at those dates and think it means the two teams were in cahoots. I look at the same dates and think there's no way the two teams could be collaborating with how long it takes to make a game and how much longer it takes to finish a movie (pre-production, production, post-production). So, if this is the only evidence you are bringing to the table, I am afraid it doesn't give you much of a leg to stand on. If the game came out in March of 2018 and the film didn't even start actual production until February 2018, that means the game was LONG finished before the film went into production as it is usually a good 3-6 months of bug fixes and other quality assurance before it reaches release. When a film is in pre-production, SO many things can change by the time production starts. Heck, sometimes things change DURING and even AFTER production.

So, was there a small overlap between the two productions? Yes. Was it enough that either production could influence the other? No way. Of course, considering you haven't seen the movie, there is no way for you to fully understand this. While I respect your decision to not see it, I must ask you to stop accusing the film from ruining the game unless you are going to present any sort of actual evidence.
there was the details are different but the stories are pretty much the same

they cut the ending out of the game because otherwise the movie would be spoiled.

explain to me otherwsise why at the end NOTHING gets explained and it feels like they just stopped the game.

if the stories where different sure you had a point they just didnt want to spoil the ending.

everyone who played the game that i know of has the same feeling so its not just me either.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby Tekkaman » Sat May 18, 2019 3:03 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:the details are different but the stories are pretty much the same

Aside from the main plot point being Tim looking for his father, there is NOTHING else that is the same between the game and the film. The Pokémon Company gave Legendary Pictures a lot of leeway to make the movie they wanted to make. I don't think the writers of the film even played or knew any of the finer details of the video game. It was much more a love-letter to the franchise as a whole with an understandable slant towards Red/Blue/Yellow. Tim and Pikachu don't take cases from Pokémon in need or really follow much of the same beats as the game's story.

mr. Hyde wrote:they cut the ending out of the game because otherwise the movie would be spoiled.

Yes, because SO many people played that game. :roll:

mr. Hyde wrote:explain to me otherwise why at the end NOTHING gets explained and it feels like they just stopped the game.

Because it's a game from 2016 that was made for little kids they they decided to tack some over-glorified DLC onto in order to capitalize on the announcement of the film?

mr. Hyde wrote:everyone who played the game that i know of has the same feeling so its not just me either.

So, this is your new piece of evidence? Okay, then all of my friends love the way the game ended and think the two products are similar in name only. So, aside from hearsay and your own suspicions, do you have anything concrete you'd like to share? Otherwise, let's move on from this discussion, shall we?
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Sat May 18, 2019 3:08 pm

Tekkaman wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:the details are different but the stories are pretty much the same

Aside from the main plot point being Tim looking for his father, there is NOTHING else that is the same between the game and the film. The Pokémon Company gave Legendary Pictures a lot of leeway to make the movie they wanted to make. I don't think the writers of the film even played or knew any of the finer details of the video game. It was much more a love-letter to the franchise as a whole with an understandable slant towards Red/Blue/Yellow. Tim and Pikachu don't take cases from Pokémon in need or really follow much of the same beats as the game's story.

mr. Hyde wrote:they cut the ending out of the game because otherwise the movie would be spoiled.

Yes, because SO many people played that game. :roll:

mr. Hyde wrote:explain to me otherwise why at the end NOTHING gets explained and it feels like they just stopped the game.

Because it's a game from 2016 that was made for little kids they they decided to tack some over-glorified DLC onto in order to capitalize on the announcement of the film?

mr. Hyde wrote:everyone who played the game that i know of has the same feeling so its not just me either.

So, this is your new piece of evidence? Okay, then all of my friends love the way the game ended and think the two products are similar in name only. So, aside from hearsay and your own suspicions, do you have anything concrete you'd like to share? Otherwise, let's move on from this discussion, shall we?
its a game from 2018 not 2016

the story is pretty much the same there are some differences sure but its not that big

and that game actualy sold quite wel and even if only a handfull of people played it the ending would be on the internet anyway
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Two games, actually.

From wikipedia:

Great Detective Pikachu
JP: February 3, 2016

Detective Pikachu
WW: March 23, 2018

The game's initial version, called Great Detective Pikachu: Birth of a New Duo (名探偵ピカチュウ 〜新コンビ誕生〜 Meitantei Pikachu ~Shin Konbi Tanjō~), was released on the Nintendo 3DS eShop in Japan on February 3, 2016. On January 12, 2018, this version of the game was removed from the eShop in Japan,[5] and later that day it was announced that an expanded version of the game, simply titled Detective Pikachu, was scheduled for a physical Nintendo 3DS release worldwide on March 23, 2018. This version of the game featured nine chapters of story, as opposed to the three of the original release.

Argumentum ad populum / Appeal to the people
Provide clear citations and evidence to support what you are saying, not anecdotes of your own or people you know.
fgsfds100
Physical Champion

Postby mr. Hyde » Sat May 18, 2019 4:46 pm

fgsfds100 wrote:Two games, actually.

From wikipedia:

Great Detective Pikachu
JP: February 3, 2016

Detective Pikachu
WW: March 23, 2018

The game's initial version, called Great Detective Pikachu: Birth of a New Duo (名探偵ピカチュウ 〜新コンビ誕生〜 Meitantei Pikachu ~Shin Konbi Tanjō~), was released on the Nintendo 3DS eShop in Japan on February 3, 2016. On January 12, 2018, this version of the game was removed from the eShop in Japan,[5] and later that day it was announced that an expanded version of the game, simply titled Detective Pikachu, was scheduled for a physical Nintendo 3DS release worldwide on March 23, 2018. This version of the game featured nine chapters of story, as opposed to the three of the original release.

Argumentum ad populum / Appeal to the people
Provide clear citations and evidence to support what you are saying, not anecdotes of your own or people you know.
1 game if you actualy read

the 2nd was just the orginal but they made it a complete story so its the same game.

and finaly just lol I know that me knowing only people who agree wit me doesnt make it thrue however online pretty much everyone agrees with it as well

so if for EXAMPLE 90% (I dont know the number thus again this is an example number) agree on it being the case you cna bet your ass there is at least some truth to it.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:05 pm

I misspoke. Two releases. Doesn't change the fact that it did indeed come out in 2016.
fgsfds100
Physical Champion

Postby mr. Hyde » Sat May 18, 2019 5:52 pm

fgsfds100 wrote:I misspoke. Two releases. Doesn't change the fact that it did indeed come out in 2016.
irrelevant since the later 2/3rd from the game came later and that is the part that ahs the ending what we have been talking about.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Whatever dude. It's just a movie and a game.

You're the one making it into some big drama.
fgsfds100
Physical Champion

Postby mr. Hyde » Sat May 18, 2019 8:11 pm

no you are i just gave my oppinion you started this not me
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:14 pm

*looks at entire thread before I said a word*

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Some hyde-lights:

the game was a big failure
1 of the worst endings I have ever seen in a game
the [movie] designs just look terrible and scary great for an horror movie maybe
the film ruined the game because of the film they gave the game the shitty open ending
stil made it so the game has no ending so people would go to the movie which is a dick move
fgsfds100
Physical Champion

Postby mr. Hyde » Sun May 19, 2019 4:51 am

fgsfds100 wrote:*looks at entire thread before I said a word*

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Some hyde-lights:

the game was a big failure
1 of the worst endings I have ever seen in a game
the [movie] designs just look terrible and scary great for an horror movie maybe
the film ruined the game because of the film they gave the game the shitty open ending
I said I gave my oppinion I never started the discussion thats 2 different things
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby BLINXERIZER » Sun May 19, 2019 8:30 am

Stop arguing and just agree to disagree. This isn't a life or death situation. It's just becoming more personal now.
Join the LRG forums!

SW-6594-8506-3402
BLINXERIZER
Ultimate Fan

Return to General Discussions