• Who is online

A PS4 dedicated forum?! YES!

Postby fgsfds100 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:35 pm

I saw this tweet from one of the other limited publishers.

Being interviewed by @WIRED, Marc Cerny unveils features and specs of future #playstation5:
8K graphics, SSDw, PS4 backwards compatibility and ray tracing
#wecantwait

I look forward to having a new winter heater in my house.

I also looked up 8K TVs.
65" for $5000... :?
98" for $10,000. :arrow:
Maybe in 10 years.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby MYKUL77 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:03 pm

fgsfds100 wrote:I look forward to having a new winter heater in my house.

I also looked up 8K TVs.
Maybe in 10 years.

What? It's a small price to pay to have cutting-edge next gen! :lol:

But seriously, that's crazy! I've never been someone who buys the newest TV tech. I haven't upgraded to 4K yet, and I'm still happy with what I have. As long as I can still hook it up to an older set (HDMI), I'm looking forward to it!
MYKUL77
LRG Super Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:51 pm

I had smallish CRT TVs for most of my life until I bought a 60" 1080p plasma TV during a blowout sale the day after Christmas in 2014. $800 well spent.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby Fries » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:02 pm

I don't have a 4K TV myself, either. I suspect I won't be getting a PS5 until a few years after it launches, but at some point I'll find a way to upgrade my television.

However, even within the Wired article Cerny mentioned how there are very few options for 8K TVs at the moment - it just seems like a future-proofing option for developers right now. I don't know how many games we'll see compatible at that resolution right out of the gate.
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby BuraddoRun » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:51 pm

I can wait on 8K as I'm waiting on 4K like a lot of you, too. I still have a 1080p monitor that I've had almost a decade that works fine.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Best1989 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Get off my lawn, 8K!

It will probably be half done, and we will have to wait for the PS5 Pro Ultra Tarantula DX to get the real stuff.
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby qui_suis » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:49 pm

i get a 8k TV went they will annonce 16k tv ..why it simple the 8k tv will be at they best and mostly at they best price has well...(in 5 to 10 year i would day)
NEW LIMITED RUN GAMES FAN!
no matter Josh or Doug if there is competitor rest assure i always be the #1 FAN in my heart
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Frankly I'll be surprised if they even manager to hit that goal.

8K resolution AND ray tracing?! The holy grail of computer graphics rendering that's been unattainable in real-world gameplay for decades, and even in demo videos until just the past few years ago? I mean PCs seem to be pushing it to even achieve "utlra" settings in 4K, or even 1080p (aka 2K) cheaply, and the guts needed for it are so stupidly expensive due to crypto-miners buying it all up that it's not even worth it for the average gamer.

Just how much is a PS5 gonna cost.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby Fries » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:13 pm

fgsfds100 wrote:Frankly I'll be surprised if they even manager to hit that goal.

8K resolution AND ray tracing?! The holy grail of computer graphics rendering that's been unattainable in real-world gameplay for decades, and even in demo videos until just the past few years ago? I mean PCs seem to be pushing it to even achieve "utlra" settings in 4K, or even 1080p (aka 2K) cheaply, and the guts needed for it are so stupidly expensive due to crypto-miners buying it all up that it's not even worth it for the average gamer.

Just how much is a PS5 gonna cost.

The console supports 8K, you're certainly not going to be seeing processes as involved as ray tracing at that resolution.

The features they're touting are impressive though, I don't see how this can be a cheap unit, even with mass production bringing down costs. Getting the sale price to a $499 price tag would be an achievement in itself (or an intentional decision with Sony losing money on each console sale to boost the audience and make the money back in software sales - like in the PS3 days), but I would not be surprised to see the PS5 launch at $599+. Even that price would be beyond reasonable for the contents teased.
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby fgsfds100 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:29 pm

I'm not under any delusion that there will be a pile of games taking advantage of it out of the gates. Clearly not.

But supports still means it can though. And that's one hell of a can of worms. And yes, $599 would be a surprising price.
Both because it's way more than what people are used to, but way less than the cost of some video cards by themselves.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby nosaveddata » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:58 am

MYKUL77 wrote:
fgsfds100 wrote:I look forward to having a new winter heater in my house.

I also looked up 8K TVs.
Maybe in 10 years.

What? It's a small price to pay to have cutting-edge next gen! :lol:

But seriously, that's crazy! I've never been someone who buys the newest TV tech. I haven't upgraded to 4K yet, and I'm still happy with what I have. As long as I can still hook it up to an older set (HDMI), I'm looking forward to it!

Just wait till next year you'll probably be able to get a 4k for 200 dollars. :lol:
Tech runs out if fashion so quickly
nosaveddata
Ultimate Fan

Postby MYKUL77 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:20 am

nosaveddata wrote:Just wait till next year you'll probably be able to get a 4k for 200 dollars. :lol:
Tech runs out if fashion so quickly

Yeah, I have no doubt about that. I already see some for a lot cheaper than they used to be. But I'm in no rush, I don't have a PS4 Pro or anything else that could take advantage of 4K right now anyways.
MYKUL77
LRG Super Fan

Postby kazumn » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:22 pm

The real question do we really need new consoles next year, their is still much left in the current generation.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby kupomogli » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:43 pm

8K checkerboard is more like it.

What mostly impresses me is everything they've stated for "rumored" under $500($499.) Even if they don't hit 8K, having a guaranteed 4K and potential to hit 8K means that most games should be 60fps and if not, they should be 1080p@60fps. Games that are only limited to 1080p will look far better. I just wish they'd stop making new resolutions so graphics can actually get better. With 8K graphics, All that additional processing power could go into increasing the graphics for 1080p instead of putting it in to increasing the resolution.

The other thing mentioned though is that games will still be retail and all systems will have a solid state drive faster than any other available commercially. Solid state drives are super expensive, and you'd only assume since everything is going to still be installed on your hard drive that this atleast has to be a 1TB SSD, so a 1TB SSD plus all the tech they're promising? Kind of a steal for $500.

Everything is also backwards compatible with the PS4, but no announcement of PS1 or PS2 BC.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby MYKUL77 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:49 pm

kazumn wrote:The real question do we really need new consoles next year, their is still much left in the current generation.

I would have to agree. Although I'm always excited to see the next generation consoles, there is so much right now and coming soon that I want to try. It's good the PS5 is going to be backward compatible, but I'm still enjoying my PS4, and I'll continue doing so! :D
MYKUL77
LRG Super Fan

Postby Tekkaman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:41 pm

I agree that next year seems too soon for a PS5. The PS4 is still kicking butt. Plus, many current games don't offer PS4 Pro-enhanced features or 4K/60FPS performance. What is the point of upgrading to a new console until the current one has reached its pinnacle implementation rate?

Well, that aside, I am happy to see it will be backwards compatible with the PS4. That is a smart move. I will be much more included to get a PS5 earlier in its lifetime due to that. Of course, amazing exclusives will be the ultimate decision-maker. Here's to hoping they have some jaw-dropping games ready to go.
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm

I'm taking the "backwards compatible" part with a grain of salt.

They removed the physical hardware required to do it in not-even-that-much-later models of the PS3 and replaced it with software emulation. And then they patched that out.

Plus I prefer to play games on the consoles they were made for, and I have the luxury to do that since I've kept them.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby Tekkaman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:03 pm

I keep all of my consoles as well, but there is something to be said for the convenience of not having to change video sources or swap out cables. With systems going all the way back to the Atari 2600, it's not so simple to have everything ready to play all at once.
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:18 pm

Fair enough, but I've got all my stuff rigged up so it's just the press of a button, or two, away. 2 HDMI switchers and a daisy chain of coax. Cable TV, 8 consoles and second monitor for PC, all on 1 TV.

If I ever reacquire an Intellivision, that will be the only challenge, unless I can get a coax adapter.
electronics-setup.png
electronics-setup.png (92.2 KiB) Viewed 521 times
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby kupomogli » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:40 pm

kazumn wrote:The real question do we really need new consoles next year, their is still much left in the current generation.

If the PS5 launches in 2020 it'll be seven years since the launch of the PS4 and XBO and it's highly likely that MS is going to release their new console in 2020 as well. If Sony was to release a year later it would be the PS3 all over again or potentially even worse. MS has it even worse as Xbox has never been as big of a brand as Playstation, if they were to release a year later now, consider the console DOA other than the hardcore fans.

Oh, and hey, atleast the PS5 is still physical. We don't even know what the next Xbox will be after the announcement of the new Xbox One. Xbox One S All Digital is just sad(pun intended.)
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Hopefully the Stadia fails spectacularly and scares the regular console companies away from any similar digital-only/streaming-only notions for a very long time.
Last thing we need is GOOGLE dipping its filthy fingers in the console pie without regret.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby Best1989 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:27 pm

Idk, Microsoft seems pretty confident in that streaming service that they will be rolling out in the future. This All Digital Xbone seems like a step towards that.
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby panzermanathod » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm

Reminds me of how the Xbone and PS4 launch and there were plenty of people complaining that the consoles were too underpowered, even back then.

And then I remembered how the PS3 launched with hardware rivaling PCs at the time but required 2 jobs to attain.

In any case, it is kinda annoying that resolution is so stressed over framerate. But that's how it rolls.

If the PS5 is BC with PS3, I'm going to get a few PS3 games. And by a few I mean every Armored Core games on that system. I never had a system from that era and I want to try those games out. And only then can I say I've played all 15 games in the series.
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:15 pm

panzermanathod wrote:If the PS5 is BC with PS3, I'm going to get a few PS3 games. And by a few I mean every Armored Core games on that system. I never had a system from that era and I want to try those games out. And only then can I say I've played all 15 games in the series.

Considering you're an Armored Core fan you're going to get them anyways, but Armored Core V is garbage I'll point a couple of things.

So they have these really huge maps because they were going for the whole esports online thing, it's meant for team versus team gameplay with the single player that is essentially just tacked on. So with that you have "scan mode and "combat mode" in order to find out where you need to go, you'll have to switch it to scan mode and then you'll be directed on where to go by following the on screen prompts, then once you get to that point you'll change to combat to fight. So no more searching and exploring stages on your own, you're held by the hand and led to each location where youll interact with enemies. Scan mode also gives you better visibility of the enemies if you lose sign of them. It just makes for a completely unenjoyable experience, I played around three missions before I quit the game and never bought Verdict Day.

Armored Core 4 is good though and For Answer is much better.

I do doubt that the PS5 will have PS3 BC, but there are so many great games on the last gen it'd be worth picking up a lot of what you missed. You won't be able to get all the great exclusives that the PS3 has like 3D Dot Game Heroes, Infamous 2, but you could always pick up an Xbox One X or probably even the next Xbox to play the third party games(provided they're playable, seems that they have to be added to the list to be playable, so not sure what that means after a certain point in time.)
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby panzermanathod » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:59 pm

I know ACV/D wasn't well received, but I still want to try it for myself. I mean, hopefully I'll have more fun with it than Nine Breaker, which, up to this point, is my personal low point for the series considering it's regular missions kinda defeats the purpose of making an AC like you would in other games. All that time spent trying to tweak my machines and then I get to NB and I was making weaponless builds for the sole purpose of being able to land on small platforms better or fly through doors.

I have no real interest in getting an Xbone. There isn't nearly enough for it to make me get one, and if I'm going to go through the effort of playing the 360 games, I'm better off just getting a 360. Xbone's BC isn't the sort of BC I can really stand behind, despite being a good job on MS's part. I don't necessarily want to buy into MS's BC and basically be limited to the games they deem important enough to work on.
panzermanathod
Ultimate Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:45 pm

I love the original Xbox and the 360 has some fun stuff, but I want to see the M$ gaming hardware division go up in flames with the shit they have pulled and are planning to pull. On one hand, I think their continued existence acts as a good active example for Sony to look at and see what people hate so they dont repeat the same issues, but if Nintendo could somehow push themselves up to the point of being a true competitor to Sony, I would happily take that trade.

Definitely agree the PS5 seems too soon, but I feel that way about pretty much every new systems successor. As for TVs, I have literally never bought a brand new set ever. Of the 30+ sets I have, only 1 is a HDMI compatible flat screen, and that was from the 2000s.

I have to say, with the turn-about Nintendo has had with the Wii U to the Switch, I am once more interested more in Nintendo's consoles again beyond just typical exclusives as its now getting so many multiplatform titles, so anything new from them would excite me more then the PS5.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby Best1989 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:00 am

The only "new" system that has me excited right now is the Sega Genesis Mini lol

If a PS5 is released next year, I'll probably wait as I did with the PS3 and PS4.
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby kazumn » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 am

This generation the console wars was already over before it even started. Sony just gave people what they wanted and that was a game console, microsoft pretty much went the other direction and was like here is the new xbox you can use for this and that and owyeah should you want it also plays games. It also diden't help they forced Kinect on you and they only launched the console in a select few countries in europe, it officialy came out in Belgium a year later then the us. I had to drive 5 hours to france to get one. They fucked up more then once this generation that's for sure

Also let's hope Sony comes up with a proper Gran turismo, because gt sport (despite i gave it more then one change) was probably the biggest let down this generation if i'm allowed to say that. What happened to one of Playstations flagship franchises.

But i applaud backwards compatibility maybe that way we don't have to deal with the endless stream of remasters that have come out the past few years.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Return to PlayStation 4