• Who is online

Suggest new releases and discuss past and upcoming releases.

Postby Truffleshuffle85 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:30 pm

With a rich and ultimately super complex history of amazing games (see info-graphic from Falcom ), what are the chances of getting physical release of a Dragon Slayer game like Xanadu Next, a Faxanadu sequel or any game in this vein? These games have been massively influential for RPGs and action RPG games for decades and need more physical love like Ys has recently received.

Also, great job with the Bloodstained Curse of the Moon CE!
Truffleshuffle85
I want to believe

Postby Grizzled » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Falcom doesn't have a publishing division in the west, so they rely on other companies to localize/publish their games. Most of the companies they have cooperated with, were also capable of physically publishing on their own, without resorting to a limited publisher. One notable exception is DotEmu, who cooperated with LRG to publish Ys Origin in North America.

Theoretically speaking, If a physical version of Xanadu Next were to be made, someone would first need to port it to PS4 and/or Switch and afterwards, either release a physical version by themselves or use a limited publisher to make it happen. Unfortunately, neither Falcom, nor XSeed Games (who published the game on digital PC stores 3 years ago) have shown any indication of porting the game to consoles as of yet.
Grizzled
True Believer

Postby Aggie Tsubi » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:31 pm

I'd like to see more Falcom releases too, but yeah, if they don't already exist in English on platforms LRG releases games for and aren't lacking a physical release, then there's nothing for LRG to do. Personally, I'm glad that most Falcom releases are handled by bigger publishers because then they're not produced in such limited quantities, and I can wait on some to get them on markdown.
Aggie Tsubi
Physical Champion

Postby Fries » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 pm

I'd certainly like a physical PS4 release of Xanadu Next, especially with the updates made to the recent version on Steam. Unless a port happens though, I'll have to settle with the original Japanese PC physical release and the fan-translation.
Fries
Ultimate Fan

Postby jrmann33 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:08 am

I have Xanadu Next on Steam and enjoyed what I played of it. Zwei and Gurumin I wish were 2 Falcom seried of games that got updated ports to modern consoles followed by physical releases. I have Gurumin for PSP, but both Zwei and Gurumin I feel would sell well enough deservingly to be preserved as physical releases on ps4 or switch. I don't think Zwei has any physical releases of any kind correct me if I am wrong.
jrmann33
Ultimate Fan

Postby Grizzled » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:14 am

jrmann33 wrote:I don't think Zwei has any physical releases of any kind correct me if I am wrong.

Since the games were only translated recently, there are only Japanese physical releases.
Grizzled
True Believer

Postby Fries » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 am

jrmann33 wrote:Zwei and Gurumin I wish were 2 Falcom seried of games that got updated ports to modern consoles followed by physical releases. I have Gurumin for PSP, but both Zwei and Gurumin I feel would sell well enough deservingly to be preserved as physical releases on ps4 or switch.

Gurumin recently-ish got ported to Steam and the 3DS, so they're still working with the franchise; newer ports with physical releases could happen. It's obvious they've been considering a Switch release, at least: https://twitter.com/Gurumin3D/status/834854022620160000
Fries
Ultimate Fan

Postby shinoff2183 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:35 am

Truffleshuffle85 wrote:With a rich and ultimately super complex history of amazing games (see info-graphic from Falcom ), what are the chances of getting physical release of a Dragon Slayer game like Xanadu Next, a Faxanadu sequel or any game in this vein? These games have been massively influential for RPGs and action RPG games for decades and need more physical love like Ys has recently received.

Also, great job with the Bloodstained Curse of the Moon CE!

I never knew faxandu had a sequel, jeez I spent most my gaming childhood playin faxandu. I was really into it and it was one of the few games we had lol
See ya around Lawrence
shinoff2183
Ultimate Fan

Postby Aggie Tsubi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:47 pm

It didn't. I think TC was asking was what are the chances of Faxanadu getting one. And the chances are basically nil. Faxanadu is a Xanadu spin-off developed and published for Famicom (hence the title) by Hudson, who licensed the Xanadu name from Falcom. Hudson is no more, after getting fully absorbed into Konami, and I'm sure they wouldn't still hold the license to make anything Xanadu-related. Falcom probably can't use the "Faxanadu" title either, but they can make more mainline Xanadu games of course. Even if somebody could make a direct sequel to Faxanadu, it wouldn't make such sense retaining the "Fa" part of the title. Now it'd have to be Swixanadu or something. :p
Aggie Tsubi
Physical Champion

Return to Limited Run Discussion