• Who is online

Suggest new releases and discuss past and upcoming releases.

Postby qui_suis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:04 am

here we go finally

Axiom Verge is coming physically to the Wii U on Friday, March 29th

After several years of struggle (and an ongoing legal battle over a huge amount of lost money at the hands of BadLand Publishing)
- Axiom Verge is coming physically to the Wii U on Friday, March 29th 10AM Eastern Time

so LRG purchase 6000 copie of the game for 78000$ (13$ per game) but badland seem doing some shit
so at the end it cost 120000$ for those 6000 copie (20$ per game) so we might see a 29.99$ game here or for the worst 34.99$

if i got it right read the all story here:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-15-the-high-cost-of-a-wii-u-retail-release

NEW LIMITED RUN GAMES FAN!
no matter Josh or Doug if there is competitor rest assure i always be the #1 FAN in my heart
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby qui_suis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:19 am

who did release the wiiu version of that gmae in Europe i saw some store in UK that carry it not long ago. was it badland?

also LRG will the game with carry your logo: LRG-001 wii U
no matter Josh or Doug if there is competitor rest assure i always be the #1 FAN in my heart
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 am

Was this the same contents as the Switch version with the physical goodies? I seem to recall that version had something extra with it compared to PS4/Vita.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby qui_suis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 am

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Was this the same contents as the Switch version with the physical goodies? I seem to recall that version had something extra with it compared to PS4/Vita.

your correct it the soundtrack cd other was a dlc if not mistaken. also note the switch got the audio cd has well but no other got it vita and ps4.
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby DrLight66 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Cool release but I already bought the CE for the PS4 over a year ago...
If a game doesn't run at 60fps then it isn't worth playing.
DrLight66
Ultimate Fan

Postby 315retro » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:11 pm

I think I've got this game 3x across various systems now. Not gonna do another dip but cool I guess.
http://www.instagram.com/315retro/ Check out my collection!!

ImageImage
315retro
Ultimate Fan

Postby OneVurfedGwrx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:34 pm

qui_suis wrote:who did release the wiiu version of that gmae in Europe i saw some store in UK that carry it not long ago. was it badland?

also LRG will the game with carry your logo: LRG-001 wii U

The WiiU release was listed in online stores but I don't think it got released in the end. I preordered in UK and never got shipped. Unless it snuck out in Spain where Badlands is based, I will have to check. It is a shame as I wanted a European copy and cannot use LRG's release due to region protection.
OneVurfedGwrx
LRG Super Fan

Postby Tiger-kai » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen axiom verge here in Spain for Wii u. It was just a standard edition though.
We have quite a few exclusives here. I saw super hydorah the other day for PS4 in Game for €10. Shame I already bought it full price.
Tiger-kai
Physical Champion

Postby OneVurfedGwrx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:03 pm

Tiger-kai wrote:I'm pretty sure I've seen axiom verge here in Spain for Wii u. It was just a standard edition though.
We have quite a few exclusives here. I saw super hydorah the other day for PS4 in Game for €10. Shame I already bought it full price.

I got the Vita multiverse so would be happy with a standard but as far as I know the WiiU was only going to be available as a Multiverse Edition. I would have got the LRG release happily if it would work but that sadly isn't the case.
OneVurfedGwrx
LRG Super Fan

Postby Best1989 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Best1989
Ultimate Fan

Postby Tiger-kai » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm

OneVurfedGwrx wrote:
Tiger-kai wrote:I'm pretty sure I've seen axiom verge here in Spain for Wii u. It was just a standard edition though.

I got the Vita multiverse so would be happy with a standard but as far as I know the WiiU was only going to be available as a Multiverse Edition. I would have got the LRG release happily if it would work but that sadly isn't the case.

It was probably the PS4 one I saw then. I just remember seeing in Fnac and it had a blue case. I didn't really pay it much attention as I have it on vita already.
Tiger-kai
Physical Champion

Postby 108 Stars » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Sucks what BadLand did.
Especially since sales were peobably boosted a bit with the promise of giving money for a disabled child. I wanted it anyway but that was a contributing factor I bought when it came out and did not wait for a reduced price.
108 Stars
Ultimate Fan

Postby Aggie Tsubi » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:58 pm

What an ordeal behind this release. I guess this explains why even after BadLand Games promised to mail the Velocity 2X booklet and OST to Vita buyers who showed proof of purchase, few actually received the items. But that's a minor concern compared to how they royally screwed over LRG, the developer, and the developer's son. I wouldn't be surprised if the staff of BadLand got screwed too, since this seems like the kind of mismanagement that comes from the top.

Good on LRG for giving the developer 90% even knowing they won't break even here. Honestly, I think the developer should set up something for donations for his son too. I'm sure many of the people who bought the game on other platforms would be happy to throw a little extra his way once they find out their purchases didn't actually go toward a trust fund.
Aggie Tsubi
Physical Champion

Postby BuraddoRun » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:46 pm

An ordeal, indeed. It sounds like LRG gave BadLand plenty of chances to set things right. I'm actually amazed they didn't give up on the project and instead paid again to have the game manufactured. I hope the game sale is a success for them.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby DrLight66 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:50 pm

So for the Wii U release, why did it matter what the game's rating was going to end up being (either E10+ or Teen)? If it was T instead of E10+, would Nintendo not certify the game or would they charge more for it to be certified or.....?
If a game doesn't run at 60fps then it isn't worth playing.
DrLight66
Ultimate Fan

Postby DeafTard » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:48 am

Its sickening to read that badlands stole money from a child who is ill

I hope badlands pays back what they owe but I doubt it since lawsuits over international countries can be extremely difficult.
DeafTard
Physical Champion

Postby FoP » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:10 am

I just think that it's strange that Badland dropped the ball so badly on this one. Along with Soedesco, Badland was one of the first companies to do the "indie retail" released on PS4 I can remember, and they used to do some great stuff. Considering quite a few developers seems to have returned for Switch versions and sequels (Ginger and Anima) it doesn't seem like they actively were trying to scam everyone, but I really wonder what made this become the shitstorm it has.

What's most strange is the lack of communication. Had they just been a bit better at communicating, then this whole situatione probably would've been different. To spend money on getting new games to release isn't that weird; after all paying back what you owe doesn't generate any income for you, but investing it (and here I DON'T mean gambling) to mutliply it and then returning what you owe is a win-win. However, that's something they should've been open with from the start. So the worst, and strangest, part of it is the lack of communication from Badland.

Not going to look up this any closer though... checked Twitter and the total lack of logic that exists in the comments from some users just makes my brain hurt.
FoP
Ultimate Fan

Postby OneVurfedGwrx » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:18 am

I assume the WiiU is locked at the hardware level and it isn't possible to release region free pressed discs. It would be nice if this somehow could be region free but guessing Nintendo won't allow that or other publishers may have tried it in the past. The Badlands WiiU version was the main version I wanted when pre-ordering and never switched to PS4 or Switch (I did get the Vita one though) and with the bad blood between Badland and the devs I doubt the release will ever happen despite preorders still being available on the likes of Amazon Spain. Its a shame as I would like to support the LRG release (and devs) but it won't run on my European Wii U so not much point.
OneVurfedGwrx
LRG Super Fan

Postby BroerMeneer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:04 am

@FoP

Definitely strange yes. All this bad press isn't going to be doing them any good. I could see some retailers refusing to stock their games due to news like this, and it'll also be bad for any future deals and then there's of course the matter of losing out on potential customers who won't want to support them after this.

Perhaps they felt like putting the money towards releases that would make them more money in the hopes of funding Axiom Verge Wii U's release afterwards? Though if that were the case this whole thing still wouldn't be very acceptable, there should have definitely been more communication from them.

I can only wish the best for LRG and Tom Happ and his family as well as any other people that were inconvenienced by all of this. I hope the game sells well for them.

I really wish Wii U was region free though, I don't have Axiom Verge yet, so getting it on Wii U would've been pretty neat.

I also wish the best of luck to BadLands who are going to have to fix this mistake before they get into more trouble... whoever is responsible for these decisions at their company, I can only feel for their co-workers, as I don't necessarily believe there were any bad intentions from the company as a whole. But what do I know.
BroerMeneer
Physical Champion

Postby FoP » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:30 am

BroerMeneer wrote:Perhaps they felt like putting the money towards releases that would make them more money in the hopes of funding Axiom Verge Wii U's release afterwards? Though if that were the case this whole thing still wouldn't be very acceptable, there should have definitely been more communication from them.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking too, since that'd make it less pure malicious and instead a case of planning; but the keyword as you say is communication. Had they been upfront to the others involved that "we've got these games signed, and we want to get them out, and once money from then start coming in, you'll what we owe you", then it would've been a pretty decent solution if they just lived up to that promise. With the whole "pay in increments" plan I really think there's a chance that might've been the plan; however the lack of communication seems to be what fucked this up so badly.

However, just now I remembered that Everspace also had some problems with Badland, which caused LRG to get it instead. Plus that whole thing with Velocity 2X.
What's interesting is that the pattern I see for all these three games with problems is that it's games where Badland has done international or US releases. Might be that they've just outgrown themselves and couldn't handle it? Not sure what the average retail print run is for US versus Europe, but overall I guess worldwide publishing gets a LOT more complicated.

As for the boycotts you mention, which surely looks like a real thing from what I saw in Twitter comments, for me personally I'm not going to let this affect future purchases if they release a game I want. I'm too old now to be that diehard, and if you look closely enough it's hard to find a company that never did something unethical, tried to neglect paying a debt or did something else you don't agree with. Not that it means that I think what happened is ok, but for me, the games I can enjoy is the most important part, and I rather say as it is than to become a hypocrite like those anti-overtime RDR2 boycotters.
FoP
Ultimate Fan

Postby BroerMeneer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:07 pm

FoP wrote:As for the boycotts you mention, which surely looks like a real thing from what I saw in Twitter comments, for me personally I'm not going to let this affect future purchases if they release a game I want. I'm too old now to be that diehard, and if you look closely enough it's hard to find a company that never did something unethical, tried to neglect paying a debt or did something else you don't agree with. Not that it means that I think what happened is ok, but for me, the games I can enjoy is the most important part, and I rather say as it is than to become a hypocrite like those anti-overtime RDR2 boycotters.

Same for me. Not that I'm jumping to give them my money, but I still intend to get the second Anima game. After all, how else will I get it physically? I really liked the first game. It's all about the games after all.
BroerMeneer
Physical Champion

Postby bmcphail » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:38 pm

BroerMeneer wrote:
FoP wrote:As for the boycotts you mention, which surely looks like a real thing from what I saw in Twitter comments, for me personally I'm not going to let this affect future purchases if they release a game I want. I'm too old now to be that diehard, and if you look closely enough it's hard to find a company that never did something unethical, tried to neglect paying a debt or did something else you don't agree with. Not that it means that I think what happened is ok, but for me, the games I can enjoy is the most important part, and I rather say as it is than to become a hypocrite like those anti-overtime RDR2 boycotters.

Same for me. Not that I'm jumping to give them my money, but I still intend to get the second Anima game. After all, how else will I get it physically? I really liked the first game. It's all about the games after all.

Sorry, but buying anything from a company that stole from a severely disabled child is a line I won't cross. It's not even a close call here.
bmcphail
LRG Super Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:31 pm

bmcphail wrote:
BroerMeneer wrote:

Sorry, but buying anything from a company that stole from a severely disabled child is a line I won't cross. It's not even a close call here.

I normally don't actively boycott companies, but I agree that what they did is very disgusting. When I first read about the issue, I skimmed the article and only caught the nonpayment shenanigans. After I heard about the failure to provide the portions they promised to help for medical bills for that child...yeah, I felt bad for having purchased a couple of BadLand games in the past and even thinking they were a cool company. It's not the developers' faults, of course, so supporting BadLand by buying their games isn't 100% supporting them, but they are nasty, for sure. Hopefully future indie devs will look elsewhere for publishers to print their games.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Aggie Tsubi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:43 pm

FoP wrote:Had they been upfront to the others involved that "we've got these games signed, and we want to get them out, and once money from then start coming in, you'll what we owe you", then it would've been a pretty decent solution if they just lived up to that promise. With the whole "pay in increments" plan I really think there's a chance that might've been the plan; however the lack of communication seems to be what fucked this up so badly.

Unless the contracts signed were skewed totally in BadLand's favor, they don't get the option to choose to pay whenever they please and the other parties are supposed to just smile and be grateful that the payments will slowly trickle in eventually. I would bet money that the contracts had something about BadLand paying what they owe in a timely manner, and I doubt multiple years is what they'd define as timely. Real life happens in the meantime. Even before this all went public, the developer of Axiom Verge had been tweeting about his difficulties with insurance companies and the huge medical bills he was getting for his son's needs. Bills that should be getting paid with the money from BadLand, but the developer has to scramble in the meantime without. He even moved from one state to another, hoping the costs and care would be better.

BadLand should take whatever funds they have right now, funds that they're investing into more game releases, and use it to pay off their debts. If there's not enough to invest in future projects after that, oh well. I wouldn't shed a single tear over BadLand shutting down. There are plenty of other publishers these days to license and release physical runs of indies and niche games. I'd rather see reputable companies profit off of those games than BadLand getting an opportunity to screw over more people who put their faith in them.
Aggie Tsubi
Physical Champion

Postby FoP » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:02 am

Aggie Tsubi wrote:
FoP wrote:Had they been upfront to the others involved that "we've got these games signed, and we want to get them out, and once money from then start coming in, you'll what we owe you", then it would've been a pretty decent solution if they just lived up to that promise. With the whole "pay in increments" plan I really think there's a chance that might've been the plan; however the lack of communication seems to be what fucked this up so badly.

Unless the contracts signed were skewed totally in BadLand's favor, they don't get the option to choose to pay whenever they please and the other parties are supposed to just smile and be grateful that the payments will slowly trickle in eventually. I would bet money that the contracts had something about BadLand paying what they owe in a timely manner, and I doubt multiple years is what they'd define as timely. Real life happens in the meantime.

Yeah, I doubt that's how the contract was written from the start, however as you say yourself - things can happen. To both parties.
If things go south, then it's time to look beyond the contract and look for compromises instead, something which at least LRG was willing to do, and it would've probably worked if just communication was upheld.

Not sure if it's a US thing, or an effect of never having to prioritize what bills to pay because you don't have enough money, but just pointing towards a contract when it's been breached since long won't do you no good instead of sitting down and saying "ok, what do we do now?". Sure the contract should've been followed from the start, but -things happened- and they weren't able to; that'd be ok, if they had just kept the communication going and seemed willing to actually cooperate.

However, I noticed one other thing that I find interesting about this, and it's when I looked a bit closer at the trust fund thing. I've been reading up on it, and two things strike me as odd; first off is that 75% of Badland's cut would go to it. That's really unusually high for something which isn't a pure charity project. Then there's the fact that Badland never really seemed to use it. If you Google it, now there are a lot of articles from the last three days or so mentioning it, but try to find anything from before that and the only real "news" source for it I could see was a Nintendolife article, and I think that's one of the sites to just follow social media and write whatever they find (in this case it was a blog post, but I think they've written articles based on just short Twitter remarks from LRG people too). Other than that, it doesn't seem like it was marketed or written about all that much, more than on a few forums. I just think that if they were willing to lose 75% of their cut, that it would've been used to get some "free" advertisment, since charity (apparently) sells. Not sure what this might indicate, but there are so many things about Axiom Verge and Badland that just doesn't seem to fit together...
FoP
Ultimate Fan

Postby Sabreman64 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:10 am

Aggie Tsubi wrote:I guess this explains why even after BadLand Games promised to mail the Velocity 2X booklet and OST to Vita buyers who showed proof of purchase, few actually received the items.

My experience of Badland Games has been good. A couple of years ago there was a production fault with the instruction manual for The Sexy Brutale. I emailed Badland a screen grab of my order of the game as proof of purchase. They sent me a copy of the corrected manual no problems at all.

In any case, good luck with selling 6000 copies of an NTSC only game on a dead console. Don't get me wrong. I like the Wii U. There are still a few games I plan to buy for mine (Kirby and the Rainbow Pantbrush, the Paper Mario game and possibly Super Mario Maker). But even if my Wii U were NTSC instead of PAL, I still wouldn't buy this. I already bought the Multiverse Edition for my Switch. I'll be very surprised if these 6000 copies sell out fast.
Sabreman64
I want to believe

Postby Aggie Tsubi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:16 am

FoP wrote:Yeah, I doubt that's how the contract was written from the start, however as you say yourself - things can happen. To both parties.

I don't think they're comparable. A company is not a person. People generally can't control if their child ends up disabled, and the father of an ill child doesn't have the luxury of postponing treatment if he doesn't have the money right now or of paying the medical bills whenever he pleases. But financial struggles generally don't hit companies as if they're random natural disasters. That's a self-created problem, one of mismanagement. BadLand could go under without it causing any great personal harm to anybody, for all we know. People can get new jobs. If the company had not a cent, then, yes, there's nothing that can be done to repay its debts, but we know that to not be the case when they're continuously funding new projects. There's zero reason to place the longevity of the company above or on equal ground with a father being able to provide for his disabled son's needs. When a contract is signed, the parties are legally obligated to fulfill their ends of it, even if they have other investments they'd like to make.

Not sure if it's a US thing, or an effect of never having to prioritize what bills to pay because you don't have enough money, but just pointing towards a contract when it's been breached since long won't do you no good instead of sitting down and saying "ok, what do we do now?". Sure the contract should've been followed from the start, but -things happened- and they weren't able to; that'd be ok, if they had just kept the communication going and seemed willing to actually cooperate.

If anything, my comments are partially motivated by being a freelancer myself and knowing what it's like to deal with flaky, mismanaged companies. My life doesn't stop and neither do my bills, yet some companies I have had to hound for *years* to get everything that's owed to me, despite that I can see they have enough capital to pay me in a timely manner. Others make dishonest, unrealistic promises, that they should know are unrealistic for them, but as a contract worker, I'm not privy to the inner workings of these companies enough to know myself these promises are unrealistic until it's already too late. Companies should be held responsible for manipulative, abusive, and even just plain incompetent business practices. That's why lawsuits are springing up against BadLand. If they refuse to pay what they owe in a timely manner, then what funds they have should be forcibly taken by law. And even if they didn't have a cent, at least word getting out there can prevent others from dealing with them and falling victim themselves. It's not even just LRG and Axiom Verge's developer. There are others who have been shafted as well. The people who have been managing BadLand are not fit for their jobs and don't deserve any place in this industry.
Aggie Tsubi
Physical Champion

Postby revan193 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:16 am

I wonder if this will lead to other Limited Runs for the WII U.
revan193
LRG Super Fan

Postby FoP » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:27 am

Aggie Tsubi wrote:
FoP wrote:Yeah, I doubt that's how the contract was written from the start, however as you say yourself - things can happen. To both parties.

I don't think they're comparable. A company is not a person.

I really think it's more likely that Badland had a deal with Thomas Happ Games LLC, and not Tom Happ the person.
So that's two companies.

I'm just saying that it could have been solved differently had they just been more willing to communicate, no matter between whom the debts are.
I have, from different perspectives, watched both person to company debts, person to person debt and company to company debts and in ALL those cases the best solutions has come when there's been good communication and willing to compromise from both parties.
FoP
Ultimate Fan

Postby FoP » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:30 am

revan193 wrote:I wonder if this will lead to other Limited Runs for the WII U.

Josh seems to be open for it, at least:
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/stat ... 2319841281
FoP
Ultimate Fan

Return to Limited Run Discussion