• Who is online

Since The Vita Lounge forum keeps going down, you can now come here to talk about anything Vita!

Postby DeafTard » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:02 am

Article worth reading by clicking the link down below:

The PlayStation Vita spent much of its brief life dying. Now that Sony has officially ended production in Japan, who’s left to mourn its passing and pour one out for all the good times?

https://kotaku.com/fans-are-finally-com ... 1833298145
DeafTard
Physical Champion

Postby McFungos » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:40 am

DeafTard wrote:Article worth reading by clicking the link down below:

The PlayStation Vita spent much of its brief life dying. Now that Sony has officially ended production in Japan, who’s left to mourn its passing and pour one out for all the good times?

https://kotaku.com/fans-are-finally-com ... 1833298145

I don't care about the Point of View of Kotaku regarding the PS Vita.

Kotaku is negatively biased toward the PS Vita because they think that most of the remaining PS Vita community is made of retarded weeboos.

Kotaku is good at depicting the PS Vita community as a bunch of sore losers of the consoles war.

I may be a sore loser but still i have the "day one" money power :mrgreen:
McFungos
LRG Super Fan

Postby Toots » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:51 am

I absolutely despise the whole "Vita is dead" thing. It's become far too commonplace and people just say it for effect now.

There are more games releasing on Vita than 3DS and I don't see anyone saying "3DS is dead"

No console is ever dead. It may stop being supported with new releases, but it ain't dead.

I'd rather say that it has retired and is moving on to its golden years living fondly in the memory, and hands I might add, of a lot of people.
LimitedRunDouglas wrote:No
Toots
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 am

Toots wrote:I absolutely despise the whole "Vita is dead" thing. It's become far too commonplace and people just say it for effect now.

There are more games releasing on Vita than 3DS and I don't see anyone saying "3DS is dead"

No console is ever dead. It may stop being supported with new releases, but it ain't dead.

I'd rather say that it has retired and is moving on to its golden years living fondly in the memory, and hands I might add, of a lot of people.

:cry:

The 3DS does sure feel dead. But you're right! It's not dead, and after the final game releases for it, it will still live on in the hands of those who love it. It will be retired in the public's eye, but it will carry on its life elsewhere! I will not send my 3DS to a nursing home!
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby OneVurfedGwrx » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:24 am

Well NISA announced a (digital only of course) Vita release of the first Utawarerumono remake in 2020 a few days ago so may end up beating out the 3DS for last non Indie digital release at least...
OneVurfedGwrx
LRG Super Fan

Postby Aggie Tsubi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am

I refer to systems as dead when they're no longer getting any new, licensed releases. By that, I mean they're dead in the market. Obviously any individual system isn't dead if it's still working. I love retro gaming even more than modern gaming, so I still regularly play and enjoy many "dead" systems. But the Vita is still getting new releases, and yet people having been calling it "dead" since like 2012, so it's all pretty ridiculous. It's obviously nearing the end of its life span now, but it's not dead yet.

I've seen that Kotaku article before, and honestly, I think it's garbage, like basically all of the excuses for "journalism" on that clickbait site. It pushes a false narrative with cherry-picked "proof" just to be as sensational as possible. All that site cares about is hits, not in portraying anything realistically. Every system dies eventually, and there's nothing unique about the Vita in that regard. It's had a full system life span, even if it spent much of its life span as a niche system.
Aggie Tsubi
Physical Champion

Postby fgsfds100 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:06 pm

McFungos wrote:I don't care about the Point of View of Kotaku[snip]

Kotaku is negatively biased[snip]

These are my thoughts.

Also given that some indies are making NEW games for NES, SNES, and some Sega systems, even a "dead" system is not unresurrectable.
I couldn't care less about whether or not said NEW games are licensed or not.
fgsfds100
Physical Champion

Postby DustmanB » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:14 pm

Typical Kotaku.
DustmanB
Physical Champion

Postby BuraddoRun » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:37 pm

fgsfds100 wrote:Also given that some indies are making NEW games for NES, SNES, and some Sega systems, even a "dead" system is not unresurrectable.
I couldn't care less about whether or not said NEW games are licensed or not.

Great point.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby VitaVision » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:50 pm

After reading that snippet in your post there is no reason to read the rest. The system is 8 years old this year. How is that a brief life? Thats a full life cycle. Its sad what counts as journalism these days. Any idiot can do it.
All that is what is and will be

-James Hetfield
VitaVision
LRG Super Fan

Postby bap » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:36 pm

VitaVision wrote:After reading that snippet in your post there is no reason to read the rest. The system is 8 years old this year. How is that a brief life? Thats a full life cycle. Its sad what counts as journalism these days. Any idiot can do it.

Let's be real though and step outside of the niche bubble we reside in. How long was the Vita actually given mainstream support? You can deny Vita is 'dead' but you can't deny it's been on life support for many years, kept alive by a passionate but small community. In the eyes of the wider gaming community the Vita has been dead since at least 2015 most people forget it exists. Of course i'm not one of those people, and i think it's a neat handheld with a great catalogue of indies and a smattering of first party and Japanese gems.

I don't really see the problem with the article, i think it does a ok job of briefly walking through it's decline since 2015. It finishes calling out the passionate niche making the most out of it while they could.
bap
Physical Champion

Postby Aggie Tsubi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:20 pm

If you go by the lowest common denominator, then I'm sure there are plenty of gamers who forget anything but Madden and Call of Duty exists. Just because something is off their radar doesn't mean a system is barely clinging to life, and I'd say it's some pretty major goalpost shifting for anybody to think "no mainstream support" equals dead or dying. 2015 through 2017 saw a consistent stream of titles. It's only when 2018 came that things became spotty.
Aggie Tsubi
Physical Champion

Postby bap » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:04 pm

Yes perhaps 'life support' is a little harsh also. I would be intrigued to see some solid sales data and PSN usage data when it comes to the Vita. Instead of the wider gaming community referring to the Vita as dying, would shrinking or fading be a more respectful term for the trajectory of the Vita?
bap
Physical Champion

Postby Aggie Tsubi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:21 am

I wouldn't even say there's been any kind of steady, progressive decline over all these years. There wasn't any change of significance between, say, 2015 and 2016. Once the Vita hit the turning point where all non-indie Western developers dropped it, the rate of releases from publishes like NISA, IFI, Aksys, XSEED, PQube, etc. stayed pretty consistent for a while. People who were fans of the Vita past its mainstream support didn't have a reason to drop the system when the same kinds of niche games kept coming. Things didn't really start declining until the Vita was getting long in the tooth and development of niche games started shifting to Switch. So I'd say the Vita's life is more defined by a couple different turning points than a steady fading away.
Aggie Tsubi
Physical Champion

Postby revan193 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:15 am

The PS Vita isn't dead, it's not because Physical games can no longer be made it's not possible to release new games digitally for this console.
revan193
LRG Super Fan

Postby DustmanB » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:47 pm

My Vita will live on as long as I have it. I have a gigantic backlog and a ton of games I love to go back and replay. So even when it stops getting any kind of support or games it'll still be a regular in my gaming rotation, and who knows what the future holds. Maybe we'll get some cool homebrew games eventually.
DustmanB
Physical Champion

Return to Vita Discussion