• Who is online

Talk about everything else here!

Postby kupomogli » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:10 am

^The levels were fine, but the fact that you had to replay them over and over and over again by going back to every single level the moment you get a new skill to get enough items to progress to the next level. Imo this was incredibly annoying, would have been better if it didn't have this bs. The game was merely average, but that made it far worse.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby Rhetorical » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:02 pm

kupomogli wrote:^The levels were fine, but the fact that you had to replay them over and over and over again by going back to every single level the moment you get a new skill to get enough items to progress to the next level. Imo this was incredibly annoying, would have been better if it didn't have this bs. The game was merely average, but that made it far worse.

I did not replay many levels.

You could gain enough seeds without the abilties (which are mostly needed to get grindstones and crystals) to progress to the last stage where you gain the third ability.
At this point you would only need to backtrack to each level once.
Possibly more i suppose if you needed the coin for upgrades.
Rhetorical
Physical Champion

Postby Tiger-kai » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:05 pm

I played fox n forests too and only played a couple of levels again at the beginning. The rest I collected what was needed to progress just playing the levels. None of the collectables are really hidden away. When I got near the end, I replayed a lot of the levels just to collect everything and I really enjoyed it so wanted to play through again. Its a pretty short game. I finished it in two days just playing now and again.
Tiger-kai
Physical Champion

Postby kupomogli » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:51 am

I thought I thoroughly explored the stages pretty well as I was going through them and I had to go back. Place your collecthon bs in the game, fine, but don't force the player to get some arbitrary number of stupid fu**ing items to progress for no reason other than you need them. I quit the game after I killed the horror stage boss and had to collect more.

I guess I'd rather just play through a good game multiple times instead of being forced to play through a generic games stages several times just because.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:03 pm

just got the plat for ni no kuni the last few hours sucked but asside from that I enjoyed every minute I put into it realy a great game to have as my 100th platinum
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 pm

mr. Hyde wrote:just got the plat for ni no kuni the last few hours sucked but asside from that I enjoyed every minute I put into it realy a great game to have as my 100th platinum

I still need to pick this one up for PS4. I'm glad to hear you really enjoyed it.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:05 am

BuraddoRun wrote:
mr. Hyde wrote:just got the plat for ni no kuni the last few hours sucked but asside from that I enjoyed every minute I put into it realy a great game to have as my 100th platinum

I still need to pick this one up for PS4. I'm glad to hear you really enjoyed it.
me too spent about 90 hours into it and asside from 5 or 6 hours or so I relay enjoyed it a lot
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:00 am

And finally I've platinumed Man of Medan! My co-op friend got bored after we beat it a few times, so I was delayed in getting some collectibles that used to require co-op. But they just released the previously pre-order exclusive Curator's Cut DLC (pre-order blocked content is extremely lame) to everyone, which allowed me to solo it and get those final bits.

Basically the Curator's Cut let's you play alternate scenes. They call the normal game the Theatrical Cut. If you play online co-op, one player plays the TC while the other plays the CC. The game is still good without DLC, and you can still play the full game (both cuts) without DLC if you play co-op. Anyhow, I really enjoyed my time with it and I'll eagerly anticipate the upcoming 2nd game in the Dark Pictures Anthology.

Next up I plan to finish Metal Wolf Chaos and then go back to Dragon Quest XI. I'm also currently playing through Resident Evil 5 with kupomogli.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:43 am

im currently playin assasins creed liberation hd on my ps3 I already got the vita plat but the game isnt too long and is enjoyeble so
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby thegrifter » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:20 pm

Playing through: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, The House in Fata Morgana
Platinuming: Celeste
Forever playing on the side: Let It Die
thegrifter
Physical Warrior

Postby kupomogli » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:00 am

Persona Q.

Persona Q, like most dungeon crawlers is more focused on gameplay, but being based on Persona 3 and 4, the game also has a heavy push towards character interaction. Now unlike those games, the interactions aren't part of the gameplay, so there's no social events, they're story sections that come up when outside and inside the dungeons taking place with characters from both series. There's a lot of dialogue because there are a lot of interactions, many of the scenes have just partial voice acting with with a specific word that conveys the feels of what the character would be saying, but then there is a lot that each and every line of dialogue is voiced. Having only played Persona 4, or atleast putting in almost no time on Persona 3 to really give an opinion on the characters themselves, the characters personalities are pulled from the game in which they represent and I think they express the characters will.

I do think though that if you want to get the most out of Persona Q and the character dialogue you'd want to either play all the games or play none of the games, as you'd have a clear character bias having played one of them, I can state that I do, and the fact that the characters don't get experience without being in the party(except for quests,) I picked a group of characters that I determined would fill all the roles from Persona 4 and have only been using them. Unfortunately there's also too many characters in each game. This is honestly the same issue with the Persona games themselves which I really feel is always a bad design decision in JRPGs. If the other characters have to be used in different events and each character gets used equally fine, but when the choice is on the player, having the characters gaining no EXP unless they participate is just a really cheap way to extend playtime. I for one really dislike grinding in JRPGs, so if the devs do something that forces that one me it's something i always frown upon. In this case without leveling these characters up, there's pretty much useless, so I won't grind their levels, but I also don't get to use anyone else but the ones I've chosen from the start.

When it comes to gameplay, I find Persona Q to be the best in the Persona series. Now in Persona 3 and 4, the dungeons were just randomized floors with treasure chests that were RNG for that area. The dungeons are more similar to an actual SMT game with very heavy exploration, sometimes puzzle solving, etc. Because the game is developed by the Etrian Odyssey team, the game has the map system which you can do everything yourself or you can have the game auto fill everything while you fill in secific landmarks, something I GREATLY prefer. I never did care for how much effort I had to put in making the maps and maybe that's why I never finished an EO despite really enjoying the gameplay.

Before going over combat I have to point out that there is no joker character in Persona Q, no character that can change Persona at whim during combat. Instead, every character has their main Persona and outside of combat they can be fitted with a sub Persona. The sub Persona will effect that strengths and weaknesses, will give them up to six additional skills based on those learned by the Persona itself, and will give an HP and MP bonus. This HP and MP bonus is added onto the characters main HP and MP as soon as combat starts, but not as recovery.. Regardless if they don't get damaged or don't use magic, that bonus is removed at the end of combat.

Now, to do something different, combat is both very similar, but also very different in Persona Q. As the characters deal damage, the leader will be able to use several skills that will effect the party based on what's equipped by the navigator's Persona. These skills can allow a player to go first, increase health, defense, etc. Whenever a character deals a critical hit, that character will get boosted, however if the character is damaged while boosted it'll revert back and they'll lose the buff. If the character is boosted at the very beginning of their next turn however, all spells and skills will cost 0HP or MP, so sometimes it might be a better use to inflict a weakness to go into a boosted status then follow up with something more powerful or even healing if need be. Now, the The HP/MP bonus the players get at the start of each battle is to supplement their own HP and MP they themselves have. Are you going to choose to use a powerful skill or spell using both the magic from the bonus or maybe something smaller to try and conserve the main pool of HP and MP?

You'd think the additional HP and MP that the player gets at the beginning is overpowered, but not at all. Infact, the developers of this game have significantly increased the amount of HP% and MP that each skill and spell cost, my assumption is maybe they thought it'd be too easy that way, and this HP/MP bonus is really a way to influence more strategy from the player, giving the player options. Battles are exceedingly difficult and bosses even moreso. The combat is the major focus here and the game does this extremely well.

The Velvet Room makes it's way into Persona Q as just like in every game in the SMT universe there needs to be some way to fuse and compile your demons and it works pretty much like any game in the franchise. As you receive new Persona's at random when finishing battles, you can level them to gain as few or all the skills on the card before saving the information in the compendium and fusing them with other demons to create new demons and transfer skills. You don't gotta catch em all, but there are several ways to track which ones you have with a card near their name as well as an overall percentage of acquired Persona. The more you collect, you actually get a reduction on the cost it to summon any of the demons you have in the compendium.

However, one final thing is that like many 3DS games, with each and every Atlus game going above and beyond in this aspect tbh, is that the street pass allows you to attach any of your Persona's to your streetpass book. This means that anyways you meet up with streetpass gets your book and is able to receive that exact Persona. This really adds a bit of co-op to this franchise as you can now cooperatively build the best Persona's together with your friends to reduce the time it takes at making the ultimate party.

Yet, there's not just the street pass, but they added QR codes for those people who might play cooperatively but live hundreds or thousands of miles away. You can save your Persona's QR code and send the data to anyone and that person can use the QR code option to get that Persona. I decided to Google Persona Q QR codes and I actually found a website that someone made that manipulates the QR to the point that you create any Persona with any amount of HP and MP bonus, starting at any level the player wants with literally any of the acquirable skills in the game as the six skills. Now yes, this is cheating and I myself am not going to use it, but the fact that it exists is pretty awesome. Not only that but the fact that this team put this much effort in making the game a sociable experience with the ability to create these QR codes or use street pass in this way is really impressive. The fact that there are people that are so passionate about the industry that you can still see sometimes it really is all about the games.

I haven't finished the game, I'm MAYBE halfway through? I've heard Persona Q2 is better, though I'm really disappointed at the Japanese only audio in that title :(, but we'll see. I have to see if I can get past how Persona 5 focused it is since I didn't care for that game as much as the fourth one.

This is a really good game though.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Sekiro, played for seven or eight hours and I'm done. I deleted my save data to guarantee that I don't go back to the game. Think about it, if it took me seven or eight hours to get where I was at, why would I want to spend the time to go through the bullshit all over again?

So I only got to the first boss, the first real boss, and dealt a deathblow to him. After a good 20 or so attempts afterwards, I could never deal a single deathblow to him again, but I was planning on quitting after the first boss anyways, because I truly hate this game.

I'm not much of a fan of Nioh because its AI isn't that great and I feel they take off a lot of damage to just compensate for that. Also, some level design is really really bad. I don't like having to run through poison to turn on fans that you can't get to unless you run through poison. It's all very trial and error and that's one thing I absolutely hate to see in video games. However, Nioh doesn't even compare to the trial and error bullshit of Sekiro, not in the absolute slightest.

I'm going to put it out there that I honestly like nothing about Sekiro outside of its similarities in combat to a Souls game or many other similar titles. The exploration and the level design is just boring and generic, and it really lends to so many trial and error events,

So the level design is sort of a very shit structure of progression through mountain paths, or atleast what I played of it before I quit. Most doors you come across are locked so you basically have no way around but using your grappling hook, and because of that and because of these more open areas, multiple mountain sections all around, it's difficult to get a grip on what you've explored. Now, the plus side, is exploration is somewhat meaningless as you mostly find shit consumable items you're likely not going to use anyways, and if they're a lot more effective than I realized, then let me point out that's even more shit design as consumables run out.

The level design and this whole "veriticality!!!!!" is so shit, that despite what I thought was thorough exploration I actually missed an idol(this piece of shit games version of a bonfire.) So after a good dozen or thirty attempts on an enemy that was a god damn damage sponge(I'll get to this in a second,) I later found out there was an idol right next to him but practically concealed on a small mountain top.

But the level design gets even worse, you later get to a point where you have to find out where to go to get to the next area, all the while a giant snake is attacking you. You're trying to basically find out how to not get attacked by the giant snake, but it's trial and error because you're going to be attacked quickly unless you react and do what you need to do quickly, and some parts on this venture you don't have enough time to make an informed decision. So you'll die a few times just knowing what you're supposed to do next. I mean, who else loves just retrying bullshit because the game expects you to know what to do? I thought Uncharted 3 did these action set pieces well, but there are games like Sekiro that try to make these action set pieces and they're just shit tier trial and error bullshit events.

Finally I'm at the gameplay which I hate because it's unfairly hard. It's also not fun in the least. So enemies have HP, but let's be serious, you're almost never going to kill an enemy based on HP damage and I literally fucking mean NEVER. Why? Most enemies have so much HP that you're just not going to kill them that way. So what you have to do is deal death blows. Whenever you attack them and they block, whenever they attack you and you deflect by doing a perfect block, whenever you deal damage, etc, you deal what's called posture damage. Now many enemies have a fuck ton of posture damage and if you're not on their ass like white on rice, the enemy will regain posture at a fairly substantial rate. So many of these enemies that have two deathblows, you're literally right up on them for several minutes at a time and all they have to do is hit you twice to kill you, but you have to constantly do the perfect actions while staying on them so their posture doesn't increase.

The game is nothing more than an effort in patience because playing several fucking minutes perfectly isn't gong to happen for most people, infact, that's what the game boils down to, don't make a fucking mistake and you'll kill the enemy, now do it again because they have two death blow meters. And if you do make a mitake you're dead, so retry about 30 times before you get it right.

After spending 7-8 hours with this unfair piece of shit, I deleted my save data to prevent me from ever going back. This is one of the least enjoyable games I've ever played on the PS4. I'm not going to waste my fucking time with the game is so filled with artificial playtime because the difficulty is bullshit unfair. Especially when I don't give two shits about the rest of the game because it does nothing but the combat that I find even remotely enjoyable.

*edit*

I forgot to explain about the absolute shit obtuse menu, or the life gourds I got that say they're able to be turned into life gourd potions, in which I still only have one but I have three of these fucking gourds. Even on the Souls clones I've never had to bend over backwards for the game to be enjoyable. I can't tell you how many times I got my ass kicked on Salt and Sanctuary and I enjoyed it, because oh I dunno, the game wasn't so god damn obtuse and the design isn't full of bullshit.

Suckiro, more like Shitiro.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby thegrifter » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:46 pm

kupomogli wrote:Suckiro, more like Shitiro.

lol

I liked it but I still have never even finished it. I beat I think 8 or 9 bosses in it, but my other games got in the way and I never went back.
thegrifter
Physical Warrior

Previous

Return to General Discussions