• Who is online

Got a sweet collection? Talk about here and show us!

Postby BuraddoRun » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:05 pm

So what kind of stuff have you bought that ONLY a collector would buy? What crazy amount of money did you spend to get something that most people would say wasn't worth 5 bucks? This is a topic where we can showcase that stuff and explain why we bought it.

So I just got a CD in the mail today that I spent $85 on. The CD only has 1 track and is less than a minute long, and its just a little jingle done for a Japanese commercial. Why on Earth did I buy this!? Stock photo incoming:

I bought it because it's an official CD released for Momoiro Clover Z, the only idol group I follow and listen to regularly. I buy every physical CD release they put out because I really enjoy their music. But in Japan, they still make a deal out of singles. When singles are released, they often put out multiple editions. Each edition will have a different cover, different B-sides, and possibly extra discs for deluxe editions. Then when a new full album releases, they do the same and release different editions. Then sometimes they'll put out special limited edition CDs at Christmas or other special events. On top of that, they sometimes include CDs of live performances when they release their concerts on DVD/Blu-ray. So yeah, it's cost me some money to keep up with this stuff! I don't literally buy EVERY CD, but I get every song on official releases. So for instance, there's a new full album coming in May that will have 3 versions: regular, limited Type A, and Limited Type B. Type A has a bonus Blu-Ray, while Type B has a bonus CD with new mixes of old songs. Type B is the only version I "have" to have. But i also ordered Type A because I want the Blu-ray. I didn't order the regular edition even though it will have a different cover and CD design. The songs are the main thing for me.

Anyhow, the CD I got today was some sort of limited giveaway that I'm not even 100% sure how people got. Since it's basically just a promo the girls did for some kind of food flavoring/topping, I imagine it came from buying the product and redeeming points or mailing in labels or something. Or maybe it was a fan-club product. I really don't know, but the CD just has a short song they sang for commercial and/or radio ads. Yep.

Do I like the song? Will I actually listen to it and have it rattle in my head? It's...OK. It's not a bad jingle. It's catchy enough and it's still classic MCZ in sound. I rip MP3s from all my CDs and put them on a flash drive to listen to in the car when I'm in the mood. I always put it to play at random so once I get this on there it will make the rotation. Is it worth $85? Only to me and a handful of other people I've never met, I'm sure. :lol:
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby qui_suis » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:30 pm

who are they Momoiro Clever Z ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I8-yo5MPQM

darn you Buradddo :lol: some of they song are darn good...

KISS vs MOMOIRO CLOVER Z
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpZTocJndps

MOMOIRO CLOVER Z/SARABA ITOSHIKI KANASHIMI TACHIYO like this one Bura :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWSbfCPkTBk
NEW LIMITED RUN GAMES FAN!
no matter Josh or Doug if there is competitor rest assure i always be the #1 FAN in my heart
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:36 pm

It may not be "crazy" in terms of weird as much as just stupidly compulsive, financially wasteful, and feeding the problem, but: game DLC.

If pre-order DLC is revealed for an upcoming game I'm interested in, I must pre-order (with as little money down as possible - GameStop used to required $5, but just recently I learned it's no longer necessary). Worse, if different retailers are offering different pre-order DLC, then I'll pre-order a copy from each applicable retailer. I do this because sometimes that DLC is never made available for purchase and I don't want to risk missing out. Since 2009, there have been at least 6 times when I didn't hit multiple stores. Either because I didn't know of the promos, I didn't have access to all of the applicable retailers in my area (no BestBuy for many years), or I decided to gamble on it becoming available later.
  • extra power/ability gauges in Asura's Wrath
    I don't think I was aware and missed out... codes never showed up on eBay either. D'oh!
  • Sackboy in Modnation Racers sold at Target
    I didn't want the game until years after it came out. I got a sealed Target copy with an unused code inside from eBay, but the code had an expiry date which had passed. Ended up getting the DLC by game sharing with a then-friend. I don't need to keep that account on my machine for DLC, but if the hard drive kicks the bucket, it's gone.
  • 5 outfits in Lollipop Chainsaw
    I can't remember why, but I didn't bother getting multiple... but I lucked out and the copy I got from GameStop came with ALL of them even though they only advertised 1.
  • Bunny Seraphina in Disgaea 5(?)
    I had the collector's edition pre-ordered from NISA and didn't even know this DLC existed. I figured, "I'm getting the CE direct from the publisher so I MUST be getting everything, right?" Wrong. I discovered the DLC promo at 1am ON release day while reading news about the game in anticipation of release day. It was a GameStop exclusive, but the GS website still had the "pre-order now and receive the Bunny Seraphina DLC" promo text so I got a scheming tingle and went ahead and ordered it. I also took screenshots of the page still showing the promo in case I'd need to prove it. The game arrived a few days later, but I didn't get a code so I called them. Waited on hold for like 15 minutes. Finally a lady answered and said I'd need to call NISA to get a code. I called them, waited on hold even longer, and they told me they had nothing to do with that DLC and to talk to GS again. Called GS again, waited on hold, might've even been the same lady. Told her that I called them earlier, was told to call NISA, called NISA, was told to call GS, and said I felt like I was getting the run around. In the interest of being honest I admitted that I technically pre-ordered ON release day but the promo was still showing at the time. I told her I could email the images to customer service as proof. She put her supervisor on and he refused but I was adamant that they should honor it since it was still showing the promo at the time I ordered. I mean it's nothing out of their pocket to open up the code generator and spawn a new one. All of this was on my lunch break from work mind you. He was still kind of against it so I said I had to return to work but I'd email the pictures and call them back from work. Went back to work and called them from my desk. Right away the lady just up and gives me a code, no verification of my order number, or my name or anything. Just oh you need a new code, XYZ-123-BBQ. I'm like great, let me just stay on the line and redeem it real quick to make sure I heard you right. It worked and I felt like a total boss. That DLC never became available publicly.
  • bone and gold weapon skins in DmC Devil May Cry (PS3)
    Pre-ordered from GS for the samurai weapon skins, but mainly the Vergil DLC. Broke down a few weeks later and bought codes from eBay for somewhere in the ballpark of $20-50. Each. They became available for purchase at like 2.99 or maybe even 99 cents a few months later. D'oh.
  • skins in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    I pre-ordered the CE but didn't bother with the other stores. I don't even remember of my pre-order and/or the CE itself came with any skins. Thought about buying codes on ebay, but they were quite rare. Some popped up every so often. I think I did end up getting one or two of them. Again in the same price range. But the final skin was exclusive to digital pre-orders so no codes ever existed and I resigned myself to never being able to get it. Almost a full year later, after all the extra story DLC was released, they finally made everything available for purchase. The closure alleviated my aggravation about the eBay prices I paid.

Generally though, when I do pre-order multiple copies, after redeeming the codes from emails/receipts, I return all but one of the unopened copies to the applicable stores. I keep the one that I think would be the hardest to return. And if there is a collector's edition, I pre-order that from said store while getting standards from the easier places. GS and Amazon are usually my mules, since they take unopened games back for a full refund no questions asked.

Thankfully there haven't been very many games (that I care about) with multiple retailer-exclusive DLC promos in the past few years.

Also rare GTA Online content. Bare in mind, I hate westerns. Also medieval and space sci-fi. It all just bores me to tears. But those are irrelevant right now.

I pre-ordered the ultimate edition of Red Dead Redemption 2 digitally (which means no refund), with no intention of ever playing it, solely to get the bonus content in GTA.

I didn't get the mobile version of GTAIV for the exclusive in-game "I <3 LC" shirt, but that's because if there is one medium I will NEVER touch under any circumstance, it's mobile.
I T ' S x N O T x W E L C O M E x I N x M Y x H O M E . :evil:

Okay maybe there is just a bit of crazy in all that.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby kazumn » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:10 am

I'm a little confused but feel like contributing what exactly do you wanna see buraddo? The really rare stuff that is expensive or the more obscure stuff that is even more expensive well you know items only hardcore collectors care about?
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby BuraddoRun » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:07 pm

kazumn wrote:I'm a little confused but feel like contributing what exactly do you wanna see buraddo? The really rare stuff that is expensive or the more obscure stuff that is even more expensive well you know items only hardcore collectors care about?

The latter is more what I was aiming at for this topic: obscure stuff that only hardcore collectors go for, expensive or not. But expense usually comes with the territory on weird, rare stuff.

fgsfds100's obsession kinda fits the bill, too, though. Only a collector has that kind of obsessive drive.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby qui_suis » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:57 am

well in 2012 (i love FF serie) so i did all i can to get my hand on a limited edition PS3 game Final Fantasy XIII-2: Crystal Edition it was only available in UK

Final Fantasy XIII-2: Crystal Edition Includes:

Unique clamshell packaging containing the Final Fantasy XIII-2 game
4 disc Final Fantasy XIII-2 Original Soundtrack, with premium digipak packaging
Artwork book "The Art of Final Fantasy XIII-2", featuring artwork from across the production
6 collectable postcards, featuring high quality CG artwork of main characters in the game
High definition leniticular artprint, showing an iconic image of the Lightning character
Exclusive Final Fantasy XIII-2 T-shirt, never to be available elswhere

it was sold out and everyone was selling it for 400$++usd and i found on the web a weird shop base in south Africa and they have it for 150$usd+ 10$sh for express
it was to good to be true but i did risk..... (and game arrive safe in 7 days and i was shock... but happy)

no matter Josh or Doug if there is competitor rest assure i always be the #1 FAN in my heart
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 am

But did you get Lightning's "feminine musk"?
Final Fantasy XIII ~Lightning~ eau de toilette
Lightning perfume
Released a month after the game's release, the 50ml bottle of ~Lightning~ eau de toilette is inspired by the character of the same name. It is contained in an imprinted glass bottle with a sterling metal cap and strap with Lightning's pendant, weighing about 170g and selling for ¥7,140 ($78) per bottle. The scent is described as a "sweet peach smell followed by rose and then a feminine musk".

https://www.play-asia.com/square-enix-f ... /13/703nah
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby qui_suis » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:12 am

fgsfds100 wrote:But did you get Lightning's "feminine musk"?
Lightning perfume
Released a month after the game's release, the 50ml bottle of ~Lightning~ eau de toilette is inspired by the character of the same name. It is contained in an imprinted glass bottle with a sterling metal cap and strap with Lightning's pendant, weighing about 170g and selling for ¥7,140 ($78) per bottle. The scent is described as a "sweet peach smell followed by rose and then a feminine musk".

https://www.play-asia.com/square-enix-f ... /13/703nah

..... :shock: ok...wow FF even went to parfum... never heard of it till now....i'm curious to see how it was smelling apprently it was good.
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:13 am

My gutter-mind kicks in whenever I think of that last detail.

Also there were others. https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Fi ... fragrances
Last edited by fgsfds100 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby qui_suis » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:14 am

and i am looking into that parfum i found out more were release:

Final Fantasy VII ~Cloud Strife~ eau de toilette
Cloud strife perfume
Released during the 2009 Tokyo Game Show, ~Cloud Strife~ eau de toilette is a uni-sex fragrance selling for ¥7,140 ($78) per bottle and is a mix of refreshing floral, fruity and oriental scents.[1] Inspired by the protagonist of Final Fantasy VII, it has an imprinted glass bottle, holding 50ml of liquid with a clear cap and strap with the Fenrir bust, weighing about 170g. The fragrance was re-released in February 2011.

Final Fantasy VII ~Sephiroth~ eau de toilette
Sephiroth perfume
Released in Mid-August 2010, ~Sephiroth~ eau de toilette is a uni-sex fragrance selling for ¥7,140 ($78) per bottle. The fragrance has been described as light and refreshing. Top Scents: Apple, Plum, Bergamot, Aqua, Peach, Pineapple Middle Scents: Freezia, Lily of the Valley, Rose, Jasmin, Lily, Iris, Cyclamen. Last Scents: Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Sweet Amber, Musk.[2] The black bottle has an imprint of Sephiroth's signature single wing and a strap with a silver wing pendant.

Lightning perfume

Final Fantasy ~Noctis~ eau de toilette
Noctis perfume
On February 18th, 2013, Square Enix announced a Noctis-themed fragrance.[3] Only available in Japan [4] or online, the eau de toilette was release on June 18th, 2013. The bottle itself is a clear glass bottle filled with pale yellow eau de toilette imprinted with a silver silhouette of Noctis' face. The scent is described to be very citrus oriented with layers. Top: Grapefruit, lemon, orange. Middle: Lavender, pine, rose, lily of the valley. Last: woody, musk.
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:17 am

Français: Eau de toilette. Il a une certaine je ne sais pas quoi. 8-)

English: Toilet water. It has a certain... I don't know... :?
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby qui_suis » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 am

fgsfds100 wrote:Français: Eau de toilette. Il a une certaine je ne sais pas quoi. 8-)

English: Toilet water. It has a certain... I don't know... :?

:lol: parles tu français vraiment ou tu as utilisé google translator :roll:
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:57 am

Barely. It was required for most of my school years and with how insistent the teachers were about it, it made me not like it. Some of the more strict teachers wouldn't even allow us to go to the bathroom until we said "May I please go to the bathroom" in French. Perfectly. From memory. They wouldn't even tell us how to say it so we could repeat it.

I only used google for the "It has a certain" / "Il a une certaine" part. I also put in the "I don't know" part even though I knew "Je ne sais quoi" but I wanted to know if the two parts would need to be mixed. Google put in the "pas" part which I don't normally hear/see/say, but I guess it's correct either way?
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:37 pm

I dont think anything I collect is not considered a part of any of the primary collecting niches. Luckily, video games have pretty much been where 99.99% of all my funds for collecting have gone since forever, so not really too many things I collected that I regret.

Maybe 5 or so years ago, I did start branching out into some other things I had an interest in, mainly collecting VHS tapes, which no-one wanted and are still pretty stupid cheap. I really liked some of the covers on certain early releases, so that was my primary reason to start, plus I honestly still just use my VHS player to watch most films I have anyway, so it let me expand into watching more films I had not seen. It seems though that there has been a rise in popularity with collecting them however, or at least re-sellers scooping them up by the bucket full and posting them online, thus also making the sellers at thrift stores where I usually grab them increasing the price. My holy grail to seek-out is a VHS copy of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. It looks like it got a small release in Europe and in the US I think it was only a rental exclusive from Blockbuster or something. The Disney SW films have been a total flop for me, so if I can get the last somewhat-good live-action SW film on VHS to go with the rest, that would be a neat little display to have.

I also collect a bunch of random old computer stuff. Weird monitors, cheap joysticks, oddball peripherals. That more or less has to relate to my game collecting also though. I suppose me collecting PC games has always been a semi-niche in the greater hobby of game collecting. It only seems like more recently have people started getting into retro-PC gaming from the larger retro gamer community. Same goes for various LCD & LED games I would always collect for cheap, besides a few of the more well-known brands that people have always collected.

I did play Magic the Gathering back in the early 90s, I wanna say mainly around Ice Age. I played through the 90s and maybe half of the 2000s, so I did collect a bit of cards I still have stashed away, not really so much from new packs though, I would usually buy the cards individually from a seller I knew. Part of me wants to sell them because I am sure I could get some decent change for the older cards to buy more games with, but once in a blue moon me and a buddy will play a game with our old decks. I also started collecting some board and table-top games when I can find them cheap.

I also recently started getting into collecting action figures, but not in a true collector sense I guess. Although HEAVILY played with, I still have most of my toys from when I was a kid and if there is a figure from a cartoon or TV series I ever enjoyed, I will usually pick one up. I really don't care about accessories and I don't care about "variants" or if they are boxed. For example, I always liked Star Trek the Next Generation, so I found a Picard figure for a dollar and thats good enough for me, just a figure I can have up on display that represents a series I like. There are a couple series I would possibly consider getting all the figures for, like Bucky O' Hare and ReBoot. I also really don't care for just figurines (mainly because of the price), I rather get actual toys since to me that feels more "real" I guess, I don't know. The fact they were sold to be actual toys people wanted to play with over just something only meant to sit on a shelf seems more interesting to me. The best video game equivalent I can give is if I were to get one of the Nintendo World Championship cartridges, I would prefer the standard grey cart version over the gold since those were the ones actually used in the championship and played on.

It may not be "crazy" in terms of weird as much as just stupidly compulsive, financially wasteful, and feeding the problem, but: game DLC.

I really feel like I am wasting money. I have so many DLC codes and digital versions of games I could sell off that I will never touch, but I am just too lazy to do it.(plus some I gave away so I dont know a good way to check if they have been redeemed or not without activating them). I also never set up a Paypal account to receive money, since you need to scan your birth certificate or some crap for taxes. The last DLC I did sell, was when Smash Bros came out on 3DS they gave away the early Mewtwo codes to Club Nintendo members and I had 3 accounts for it and I think they gave away 3 codes per account and I was able to sell those off for $20 each using a family members eBay account. (and then they freaking spent the money after it went through) I use to collect any free DLC I would get or find on PSN/Live, but maybe a year ago I did a complete purge and wiped out any DLC on my systems since to me it felt weird having all these little bits and pieces of frivolous crap added on to the main game and I rather just experience what the main game had with it.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby kazumn » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:50 am

I feel like this tread is worth less without pictures so bear with me while i go trough some of my more obscure stuff, also nevermind the background i just use my kichen table and it seem to do the job fine for me atleast.

So let's start with the rarest entry in one of the best shmup series of all time Darius alpha :

What is it? (copied from the darius wiki)

Darius Alpha is a 1990 Darius product, the "boss rush" version of Darius Plus. It was a mail-order exclusive, obtainable by sending in a pair of coupons found in the manuals of Super Darius and Darius Plus. There were only 800 copies of the card produced, making it one of the rarest, and the absolute most expensive, PC Engine HuCard ever made.

Like Plus, Alpha has the unusual feature of SuperGrafx support, which greatly reduces sprite flickering

Now my story with this that i bought that enveloppe and the letter it originally came with before i bought an actual copy of darius alpha itself. The funny thing is the guy wanted around 200$ for the enveloppe and letter, crazy as i was i jumped on the change to grab them. So there i was spending 200$ on a piece of paper and a used enveloppe. :lol:
It would eventually take me another 3 years before i finally got a copy off darius alpha mind you for about 650 euros i believe.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby qui_suis » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:34 am

kazumn wrote:I feel like this tread is worth less without pictures so bear with me while i go trough some of my more obscure stuff, also nevermind the background i just use my kichen table and it seem to do the job fine for me atleast.

So let's start with the rarest entry in one of the best shmup series of all time Darius alpha :

What is it? (copied from the darius wiki)

Darius Alpha is a 1990 Darius product, the "boss rush" version of Darius Plus. It was a mail-order exclusive, obtainable by sending in a pair of coupons found in the manuals of Super Darius and Darius Plus. There were only 800 copies of the card produced, making it one of the rarest, and the absolute most expensive, PC Engine HuCard ever made.

Like Plus, Alpha has the unusual feature of SuperGrafx support, which greatly reduces sprite flickering

Now my story with this that i bought that enveloppe and the letter it originally came with before i bought an actual copy of darius alpha itself. The funny thing is the guy wanted around 200$ for the enveloppe and letter, crazy as i was i jumped on the change to grab them. So there i was spending 200$ on a piece of paper and a used enveloppe. :lol:
It would eventually take me another 3 years before i finally got a copy off darius alpha mind you for about 650 euros i believe.

well that what we call a collector game item.!! happy it in good hand!! :D ..

pretty sad story for me coz i used to have the supergrafx system with 22 game many year ago (aldyne, ghoul and ghost, parasol star, Akumajou dracula x, gate of thunder, gillyver boy, forgotten world, y's 1 and 2, ramna 1/2, springan mark2, air zonk, monster lair, cotton, lord of thunder, y's III,shape shiffer, valis II, valis III, exile, final zone 2, Darius II and Loom) and i did sold it to a guy i know coz i need fund (400$) and i was suposse to rebuy it from him in next year...but once he got his hand on it he sold it on ebay close to 10x time the price he paid me..... never got my hand of that system since (and no plan to now due to price it goes)
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:59 am

Was Darius Alpha one of the included games in that special edition version of the Darius collection on the Switch?
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby kazumn » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:54 am

I believe it was only included with the collectors edition but don't quote me on that
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby kazumn » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:05 am

Right, here is another one that fits the bill of the topic.

This is demo that was used to promote the neo geo pocket in stores when it first came out, i assume it was to demonstrate the machine to potential buyers. It contains sample versions of King of fighters R1 + Melon Chan, to me this one is especially cool since it has it's own unique box art. Can't really remember how much i paid for it, kind off bought it when i saw it.

Whilest going trough my neo geo pocket stuff i found 4 more demos they are for rockman, sonic adventure, metal slug 2nd mission and delta wrap. The only noticable difference is that sonic has a different start up screen then the Retail release.
Again not much to look at but rare nonetheless.

kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby Best1989 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:08 am

Ah, that's some good stuff.

I know a guy that is looking for that KoF R1/ Melon Chan cart like crazy.
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby Geo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:39 pm

Non gaming, but I have the broken and destroyed keyboard used by Jimmy Urine of Mindless Self Indulgence to record their first few albums.
Geo
LRG Super Fan

Postby nosaveddata » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Geo wrote:Non gaming, but I have the broken and destroyed keyboard used by Jimmy Urine of Mindless Self Indulgence to record their first few albums.

Jimmy Urine? Hopefully it doesn't have any of Jimmys urine on it. :D
nosaveddata
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Cool stuff you guys have! I love learning about and seeing rare items that not many people have.

So here's another MCZ goodie that recently arrived:

It is a limited edition blu-ray/CD/book tribute set that was only sold via lottery at specific shops, limited to 7777 copies. And each copy has a random autograph inside the book, which is massive (the size of a vinyl or laserdisc case). The blu-ray is of a concert event where all of the groups that are under the same agency as MCZ appeared. It's actually a MCZ tribute concert. I paid about $220 for it, which is about $75 over retail, and had to go through 2 middlemen to get it.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby kazumn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:16 pm

Best1989 wrote:Ah, that's some good stuff.

I know a guy that is looking for that KoF R1/ Melon Chan cart like crazy.

Their was a guy in spain trying to sell one on ebay not too long ago? I also know off a collector in france who has/had one that is selling off his collection, not sure if he still has it tough but i may be worth asking?
kazumn
Physical Champion

Return to Collecting