• Who is online

Got a sweet collection? Talk about here and show us!

Postby Tekkaman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm

As someone who is a big supporter of indie game Kickstarter campaigns, The Long Dark has been on my radar for years now. When they announced that the game was getting a port to consoles along with a physical release, my interest was piqued even more. Unfortunately, my interest dwindled a bit when I learned that the story mode was still in development and, obviously, would not be included on the retail disc. Why even release a disc when it might be a whole year before the story mode is done? But, I digress.

Around the holiday shopping season, I had seen that most retailers had dropped the disc-based versions from $30 down to $20. I wasn't really in a position to overspend on myself during that time, so I kept it on the back-burner. This past weekend, I happened to notice that unopened copies of the game were starting to disappear from most physical and online storefronts. In fact, the only place I can confirm where you can buy a new copy today is directly from Skybound for the full $29.99 original price. Amazon is out of stock (although it claims it's getting more; $20 for Xbone, $40 for PS4), Best Buy took it off their site completely, and prices on eBay have started to rise ($35-ish new, up from $25-ish). I also noticed that all of GameStop's new inventory suddenly vanished while nearly every store is now carrying used copies. I assumed this must be the latest victim to their patented "new-to-preowned" conversion tactic.

So, I picked up a PS4 copy last night at GameStop ($17 with my Rewards discount) and, sure enough, it was completely pristine. The disc was sparkling, the manual was untouched and the soundtrack redemption code was still valid. The salesperson confirmed that the bulk of their used copies were actually new and mentioned that the game supposedly only got a single print run. If this is true, it might be time to grab a copy if you've been holding out.
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby Scruffy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:57 am

Tekkaman wrote:Unfortunately, my interest dwindled a bit when I learned that the story mode was still in development and, obviously, would not be included on the retail disc.

I prefer in this case to wait for a "complete", "GotY", "Gold" or whatever edition. Or a remake/re-release.

But thank you for the information - I totally forgot that game because it was already released on Steam Greenlight years ago, i think.
Scruffy
True Believer

Postby shinoff2183 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:09 am

So is the long dark a complete disc? Ive probably picked it up and pondered it the last 4 to 5 times I was in gamestop and decided against it. I may have to change it.
See ya around Lawrence
shinoff2183
Ultimate Fan

Postby kazumn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:53 am

shinoff2183 wrote:So is the long dark a complete disc? Ive probably picked it up and pondered it the last 4 to 5 times I was in gamestop and decided against it. I may have to change it.

It's not complete as the disc only contains 2 out of 5 episodes.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:26 am

I was looking at it a few days ago at GS and was intrigued, till I read the whole 2/5 story packs on it.
However, does the game have some kind of single player survival mode that is the main bulk of the game and the "story" elements are a separate mode? Thats the picture the back of the case seemed to imply.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby nosaveddata » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:48 am

So far in the UK there seems to be plenty of copies and fairly priced. I believe they have copies on signature edition games also. Forgot about those guys.
nosaveddata
Ultimate Fan

Postby shinoff2183 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Im not buying this.
See ya around Lawrence
shinoff2183
Ultimate Fan

Postby VoltronsGrundle » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:15 pm

shinoff2183 wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Im not buying this.

Word. I wont buy 2/5’s of a game at any price. May this physical edition vanish right along with the shit dev and shit publisher who thought it was a good idea to try and trick people into buying an incomplete product.
Defender of the Universe
VoltronsGrundle
LRG Super Fan

Postby nosaveddata » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:04 pm

VoltronsGrundle wrote:
shinoff2183 wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Im not buying this.

Word. I wont buy 2/5’s of a game at any price. May this physical edition vanish right along with the shit dev and shit publisher who thought it was a good idea to try and trick people into buying an incomplete product.

Yeah I agree, it seems to be getting more common now for my liking.
nosaveddata
Ultimate Fan

Postby Tekkaman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:48 pm

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Does the game have some kind of single player survival mode that is the main bulk of the game and the "story" elements are a separate mode? Thats the picture the back of the case seemed to imply.

You are correct. The primary mode of play is a standalone survival mode. The story mode is separate and is still being released episodically. So, while the physical release only has 2/5 of the story chapters, it has the entire survival mode.
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby shinoff2183 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:39 am

Tekkaman wrote:
Dr. Robotnik wrote:Does the game have some kind of single player survival mode that is the main bulk of the game and the "story" elements are a separate mode? Thats the picture the back of the case seemed to imply.

You are correct. The primary mode of play is a standalone survival mode. The story mode is separate and is still being released episodically. So, while the physical release only has 2/5 of the story chapters, it has the entire survival mode.

It still should have waited and defeats the purpose. Things like this are a legit slap in the face because itll give the idea that people dont want physical releases if this isnt bought. Problem is we dont wont incomplete releases.
See ya around Lawrence
shinoff2183
Ultimate Fan

Postby Tekkaman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:08 pm

Don't get me wrong; I wasn't defending their choice, just confirming that the survival mode is on the disc. They totally should have waited until the story mode was finished.
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Return to Collecting