• Who is online

Got a sweet collection? Talk about here and show us!

Postby sambofred » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Another newbie question:

Do very many people collect import games/systems?
sambofred
I want to believe

Postby Fries » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:34 pm

Oh sure, I import stuff quite often - especially on the region free systems. Europe and Japan are always getting titles that the US doesn't (and vice-versa), and sometimes a physical release of a game will remain exclusive to one region. And sometimes the other regions will get better collector's editions, another reason to considering importing.

Are you interested in imports for a particular console?
Fries
Forum Mod

Postby sambofred » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:18 pm

Fries wrote:Oh sure, I import stuff quite often - especially on the region free systems. Europe and Japan are always getting titles that the US doesn't (and vice-versa), and sometimes a physical release of a game will remain exclusive to one region. And sometimes the other regions will get better collector's editions, another reason to considering importing.

I was just wondering in general. I have family in Japan, so it is an option to me to get stuff every now and then.

Where do you find out about release dates etc for games?

As I read through the threads it seems information comes at collectors from all directions.

Limited Run / GameStop / Boards / Etc.

I was on Yodobashi and was seeing some cool stuff (they are still selling PS2/PS3 titles)
sambofred
I want to believe

Postby nosaveddata » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:42 am

sambofred wrote:
Fries wrote:Oh sure, I import stuff quite often - especially on the region free systems. Europe and Japan are always getting titles that the US doesn't (and vice-versa), and sometimes a physical release of a game will remain exclusive to one region. And sometimes the other regions will get better collector's editions, another reason to considering importing.

I was just wondering in general. I have family in Japan, so it is an option to me to get stuff every now and then.

Where do you find out about release dates etc for games?

As I read through the threads it seems information comes at collectors from all directions.

Limited Run / GameStop / Boards / Etc.

I was on Yodobashi and was seeing some cool stuff (they are still selling PS2/PS3 titles)

Playasia is normally my go to place now for Japanese games, they also tell you if the game includes English language.
nosaveddata
Ultimate Fan

Postby sambofred » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:28 pm

Yeah, that site is dangerous for the wallet.

Looks like I found a replacement for Sideshow...dang.
sambofred
I want to believe

Postby Tekkaman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:35 pm

I have a decent collection of imported Japanese games for almost every console I own. I even have a Japanese PS2 since that console wasn't able to play imports until the HDD came out and there were far too many awesome Japanese exclusives on the PS2 to pass up. Lastly, I have a Japanese PS4 simply because I wanted a limited edition version that never came out in the West. It's region free, so my decision was entirely an aesthetic one.

As for where I hear about import games, it is typically through social media with a light dash of YouTube. As for where I buy imports, it would be a combination of vendors at conventions, PlayAsia and Nin-Nin-Game. That last one is a nice place to use if you're trying to snag a Japanese pre-order bonus with your import game. PlayAsia is very inconsistent on this front, but Nin-Nin will let you pay a small up-charge (typically $5) to ensure that your order includes the bonus items. They also will work as a middle-man service to buy items for you from vendors in Japan that don't offer international shipping.
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby BLINXERIZER » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:09 pm

I only have a few import games.

Ratchet & Clank Quest for Booty (PAL PS3)
Strider (PS3)
Okami HD (JAP PS3 soundtrack bundle)
InFamous First Light (PAL)
Silence (PAL PS4)
Locoroco Remastered (Asian English PS4)
Parappa the Rapper Remastered (Asian English PS4)
Shadow of the Beast (Asian English PS4)
Chronos Twins (PAL Nintendo DS)
Teslagrad (PAL PS Vita)
Rain (JAP PS3)
Monkey Island Special Edition Collection (PAL PE3)
Ape Escape PlayStation Move (PAL PS3)

Also have some of the Play Asia EastAsiaSoft releases if you want to count those.

RIVE
Cursed Castilla EX
Ghost Blade HD
Blue Rider

Please visit my Deviantart page: https://crimson-x.deviantart.com/

XBX: BLINXERIZER
PSN: BLINXERIZER
NS: SW-6594-8506-3402

Join the LRG forums!
http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/limitedrunforums/index.php
BLINXERIZER
Forum Mod

Postby sambofred » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:22 pm

Tekkaman wrote:I have a decent collection of imported Japanese games for almost every console I own. I even have a Japanese PS2 since that console wasn't able to play imports until the HDD came out and there were far too many awesome Japanese exclusives on the PS2 to pass up. Lastly, I have a Japanese PS4 simply because I wanted a limited edition version that never came out in the West. It's region free, so my decision was entirely an aesthetic one.

As for where I hear about import games, it is typically through social media with a light dash of YouTube. As for where I buy imports, it would be a combination of vendors at conventions, PlayAsia and Nin-Nin-Game. That last one is a nice place to use if you're trying to snag a Japanese pre-order bonus with your import game. PlayAsia is very inconsistent on this front, but Nin-Nin will let you pay a small up-charge (typically $5) to ensure that your order includes the bonus items. They also will work as a middle-man service to buy items for you from vendors in Japan that don't offer international shipping.

Thank you for that. Just checked out Nin-Nin-Game and discovered the Neo Geo Mini....so, thank you for that.
sambofred
I want to believe

Postby budgie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:05 pm

A few recommendations from me:

- The Legendary Starfy / Densetsu no Stafy series (first 3 games on GBA and the 4th on DS)
- Kururin Paradise on GBA and Kururin Squash on GameCube
- G.G Series Collection Plus and GameCenter CX: Arino no Chousenjou 2 (DS)
- Makaimura Gaiden: The Demon Darkness on Game Boy (sequel to Demon's Crest)
- The Ganbare Goemon series, Super Bomberman 3 / 4 / 5 and Violinist of Hameln (Super Famicom)
- Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra and Mamorukun Curse! on PS3 (also Strider Hiryu, the only physical version of this game)
- Airship Q, Dokuro and Hotline Miami (PS Vita)
- All of the region-free Xbox 360 shmups, namely: Bullet Soul, DoDonPachi Saidaioujou, Eschatos, Espgaluda II Black Label, Ginga Force and Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5
>>>LRG MASTER LIST<<< Bastion, Bloodstained, CSH, Curses, Hue, Iconoclasts, La-Mulana, Mutant Blobs, Mudds, Oceanhorn, Oddworld Munch + Stranger, Rabi-Ribi, Rock Boshers, Runner, S+S, Sky Force, Spelunky, Stealth Inc, Super Hydorah, Swapper, Thomas, Volume, Xenon Valkyrie, Xeodrifter AHNW, Aaero, Bomb Chicken, Celeste, Escape Goat, Flinthook, Kero Blaster, Momodora, Neonwall, Nex Machina, N++, Rain World, Splasher Oddworld NNT
budgie
Physical Champion

Postby twisted » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:27 am

i read on another different forum there was a person collecting Japanese games ..he had a on-line girlfriend in Japan..and he was collecting games by the bulk..anything and everything he could get hands on from japan from all generations and platforms..he had stacks ceiling high of games..in his garage and his house was overloaded with them..he even admitted that he did'nt know exactly what he had, or how many games..or what some of the games even were..just his girlfriend would fill up shipping cartons and keep an endless supply coming to his house..he said he believed when he's older these imports be worth a lot of money..he's in his late 20's now..he said..japanese games are soo niche and somewhat difficult to obtain in the US market so they'd be "worth more" than the typical US copies...i find it unusual that someone can accept huge overwhelming shipment of random games until their garages fill up and as many rooms in his house can fill up..and then..he'd sit on them for decades..he showed some garage photos and it was just stacks and stacks of containers he said were full of import games but "he wasn't sure what exactly he had in them"
twisted
True Believer

Postby BuraddoRun » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:43 pm

I love importing Japanese games. I've been doing it since I was a teenager with a SNES. I forgot the name of the company, but they always had ads in EGM and I would save up to order Super Famicom games from them every couple of months. Importing games is so much easier now with the internet and being an adult with a job, but the hunt for cool games that don't get localized is still as fun as ever!
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby bunnybear » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:49 pm

BuraddoRun wrote:I love importing Japanese games. I've been doing it since I was a teenager with a SNES. I forgot the name of the company, but they always had ads in EGM and I would save up to order Super Famicom games from them every couple of months. Importing games is so much easier now with the internet and being an adult with a job, but the hunt for cool games that don't get localized is still as fun as ever!

Die Hard.

I loved those old ads, it was a crammed 2 page spread that hinted at what was likely coming to North America before even EGM could report on it.
315retro wrote:If I'm gonna buy a doll to put my dick in I wanna know what she looks like first.

bunnybear
LRG Super Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:45 pm

bunnybear wrote:
BuraddoRun wrote:I love importing Japanese games. I've been doing it since I was a teenager with a SNES. I forgot the name of the company, but they always had ads in EGM and I would save up to order Super Famicom games from them every couple of months. Importing games is so much easier now with the internet and being an adult with a job, but the hunt for cool games that don't get localized is still as fun as ever!

Die Hard.

I loved those old ads, it was a crammed 2 page spread that hinted at what was likely coming to North America before even EGM could report on it.

Actually, I think it was something like Japan Video Games the more I reminisce. But there was actually a local Die Hard in my area. And I'm pretty certain I bought my first Super Famicom game from them, along with an adapter so I didn't have to break my SNES tabs (actually I wasn't aware that all I needed to do was break those tabs :lol: ).
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby nosaveddata » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:03 am

I used to buy bulk loads from Japan and it was great. I was amazed when I would buy famicom bundles how new the games looked. 30 year old boxed games that looked like they came from the factory.
Only issue is the waiting time could be three months for snail mail and you'd end up with tons of baseball and mahjong games. But yeah once my financial situation picks up I may go back to buying some more bundles. The joy in getting them was not fully knowing what I was receiving. I know it sounds mental but I had a idea with a quick scan through the pics, but I didn't know everything I was receiving. Really exciting in a sad way lol
nosaveddata
Ultimate Fan

Postby Game Player S » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 pm

Used to import almost monthly, now I can rarely afford to as I haven't had a decent paying job in over three years. It's a challenge to set aside for all the R1 Vita releases, so in not-so-great kinda way I'm sort of relieved so few new games are presently coming out on the system. :?
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
Game Player S
Physical Champion

Postby StormJumper » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 pm

I've bought some import from JPN as some have extra the NA version don't and some are Physical like Bayonetta Climax that was two physical games as oppose to the NA version. And I bought a couple JPN that had EN txt added later and some that were all JPN but I bought because I like the anime they were based on.
StormJumper
LRG Super Fan

Postby Thunderbolt_47 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:39 am

I never imported them by myself, but when the NES was still a very, very recent thing, my stepfather was an adult and won at a raffle a Japanese NES with a couple games ; if I remember correctly, these were basic NES games, like Legend of Zelda and Donkey Kong, but he later on got used to that and imported other games, I should ask him which ones when I see him for the next time.
Meanwhile, I was a kid when the console was around, and it was my older cousins who got to play it with the controller actually plugged in :lol: I had my revenge when I was the first in the family to get a Playstation though.
Thunderbolt_47
I want to believe

Postby Tammuz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:16 pm

I've collected a fair number of Sega Saturn imports from Japan - fortunately you can play those with the Action Replay expansion pac. I mostly pick up fighting games or the odd / cheap rpg when I find them.
Tammuz
True Believer

Postby BuraddoRun » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:49 am

Thunderbolt_47 wrote:I never imported them by myself, but when the NES was still a very, very recent thing, my stepfather was an adult and won at a raffle a Japanese NES with a couple games ; if I remember correctly, these were basic NES games, like Legend of Zelda and Donkey Kong, but he later on got used to that and imported other games, I should ask him which ones when I see him for the next time.
Meanwhile, I was a kid when the console was around, and it was my older cousins who got to play it with the controller actually plugged in :lol: I had my revenge when I was the first in the family to get a Playstation though.

That's pretty awesome! I didn't start importing until the SNES days. If my dad had won a Famicom when the NES was young that would have blown my mind!

Tammuz wrote:I've collected a fair number of Sega Saturn imports from Japan - fortunately you can play those with the Action Replay expansion pac. I mostly pick up fighting games or the odd / cheap rpg when I find them.

I used to have a Saturn and an Action Replay as well. I used to have:

X-Men VS Street Fighter (with the 4 MB ram cart)
Vampire Savior
Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter
A couple of other games I can't recall

But a terrible thing happened. I had them all in a little stack and someone broke into our house (I lived with my mom at the time) and stole them! They just did a quick search and rummage of the place, but that's what they swiped from my room. It was a sad day.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby geralds » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:00 am

I primarily import Japanese games. They are just overall cheaper. Unless the Japanese copy is rarer its just always gonna be cheaper because people want to play games they can understand . After they collect games thwg want to play they might get the erg to collect all thw games. Who ib the right mind is gonna collect rpgs and visual novels as an example or just to play when they just don't understand Japanese. Example say Japanese assassin creed is cheaper but english cost more chances are im just buying english because i understand it. Case in put woth most games and most people speak English not Japanese.
geralds
Physical Champion

Postby Bozley » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:51 pm

The only Japanese games I have right now are a few Famicom and Wonder Swan games. I prefer to go for NA copies of games and usually avoid imports.

Bozley
LRG Super Fan

Postby dunno001 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:00 am

I prefer US copies, but yes, I do imports. I have... well, too many systems, frankly. I even got a Japanese N64 with the 64DD, and the full 64DD library. And I have plenty of simpler things, like several modified systems, and a few other imported ones. Then there's the PC-FX...
dunno001
Physical Champion

Postby Mr.KonaSoni » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:53 am

If the text is not very important for a only japanese release game, I am open to buy it and I did beat a few games were text wasn't important at all.

About games that are in japan and usa, I am open to buy the japanese version if the text is also not important and the japanese version is way more cheaper than the official english release.

Overall, certainly there aren't a lot of games that I could get just because yes if I can't even play them.
The legend says that the best Konami and Sonic fan is me, I guess it could be rude to dismiss the legend...

My list of recommendable Konami games from decent to great.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

573!!
Mr.KonaSoni
LRG Super Fan

Location: There is a place in hell for someone with a cursed blood as mine, its name is... throne.

Postby Best1989 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:16 am

I think I'll start collecting Wonderswan games in the next months, so I'll be importing a lot of Japanese stuff :lol:
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby Tekkaman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:23 am

Haha! Nice! I've always low-key wanted a WonderSwan. I hope you will post pictures of your acquisitions so that I can live vicariously through you. :lol:
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby Best1989 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:32 am

Tekkaman wrote:Haha! Nice! I've always low-key wanted a WonderSwan. I hope you will post pictures of your acquisitions so that I can live vicariously through you. :lol:

Hahaha for sure.

I already have two systems coming on the mail with some games, so I need to start learning a bit of the language. Just knowing what densetsu, inu and neko means isn't going to take me anywhere :lol:
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby nintastic » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Been importing for years, it was all the rage in the 90s , currently collecting as many jpn megadrive shooters my budget will allow.

I myself have a wonderswan with a shooter of course ..radiantsilversword and imported :)
nintastic
True Believer

Postby Best1989 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Silversword is a title I would love to get!
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby gzbum » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:08 pm

Japan imports have some of the craziest and awesome games around. Many have really good NTSC ports, but a lot haven't been ported. Personally, I've been collecting PS1 imports since 1995 or so. Games such as Tenchu are just so much more authentic to play in Japanese. Out of the roughly 200 PS1 games that I own, almost half are imports. Here's some of my more prized ones or ones that I enjoy playing. I know, "Egg" isn't for everyone and is cheap, but somehow it really grew on me.
Attachments
imports1.jpg
imports1.jpg (109.86 KiB) Viewed 610 times
gzbum
I want to believe

Postby Best1989 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Dat Einhander...

A lot of weird and obscure titles have been released only in Japan, it's a very tempting market if you can handle the language.
Best1989
Global Mod

Next

Return to Collecting