• Who is online

Talk about everything else here!

Postby kupomogli » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:09 am

I'm sure many of you here import games, but for us in the western areas, some games on the SNES and all games on PS1 have used X/B for accept and O/A as cancel. Doesn't matter if you play on an Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo console, so when importing it's always swapped, O for accept and X for cancel.

The cool thing about the PS4 is that you can customize the buttons, so for RPGs atleast, swapping X and O around on the PS4 allows you to swap both the accept and cancel for gameplay and menus.

It's when you play action games where the problem lies. Many action games don't allow you to fully customize the controller. Infact, I can't believe how many developers are completely clueless about the convenience of fully customizing your own controls. There's all this type A, B, C, D, E crap and so often do you never see a "custom" option.

Now for the most part, developers do a pretty good job offering controls that will be comfortable for most if not all players, but what about when importng a game?

The example here is Nioh Complete Edition. The standard controls are great, but when swapping the buttons, evasion gets swapped over to O, and while traditionally the roll button is always O, it actually works better as X due to light attacks being tied to Square. Additionally, changing your stance to low is R1 + O because of this, and using your Amrita special is square + X.

Two equally bad annoyances, traversing the menu which is quite frequent in this game, and not being able to use the controls as intended. Wtf Japan? This isn't the first game I've played that does this and I doubt this will be the last.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby Fries » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:46 am

O functioning as the confirm button has always been that way in Japan, I imagine Japanese players importing Western games face the same challenges swapping to using X as the default confirm button. Having fully customizable button configurations would be nice, but we're the ones importing these games - we shouldn't expect Eastern developers to develop for a Western audience when these games/versions are region exclusive (and vice-versa).
Fries
Ultimate Fan

Postby Tekkaman » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:33 pm

You think that's bad, kupomogli? Up until the release of the Spider-Man PS4 Pro console, I had been rocking an imported Dragon Quest Liquid Metal Slime PS4. All navigation of the system has the X and O buttons switched. With the bulk of my games being Western releases, it was always such a mind-bender to swap the buttons in my head going from launching the system to starting a game. I had done it for so long that, once I got a Western PS4, it took me a good while to retrain my brain to stop swapping the buttons in my head.

At the end of the day, it's all Sony of America's fault. They could have left the Japanese control scheme of the original PlayStation alone, but they chose to swap those buttons and they've been swapped ever since. Still, I will agree that it is quite strange that every single game lacks a full-on controller customization option. I mean, how hard could it be?
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby DrLight66 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:40 pm

You guys know you can change the button layout of your controller through a feature on teh PS4 dashboard right?
If a game doesn't run at 60fps then it isn't worth playing.
DrLight66
Ultimate Fan

Postby Fries » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 pm

DrLight66 wrote:You guys know you can change the button layout of your controller through a feature on teh PS4 dashboard right?

Yeah, kupomogli mentioned that in the OP. You can do the same thing on the Vita - but there are limitations/problems with that feature depending on the game for either system.
Fries
Ultimate Fan

Postby StormJumper » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:56 pm

Besides imports did anyone forget the Duties and Taxes that get stamped onto the price that can be a killer as well.
StormJumper
LRG Super Fan

Postby Ancestral_Spirit » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:58 am

StormJumper wrote:Besides imports did anyone forget the Duties and Taxes that get stamped onto the price that can be a killer as well.

Yeah tbh that's the worst part of imports for me as well.
Though we recently did find out that the UK doesn't have to pay imports on books, so any art books or guide books i wanna buy now will work out substantially cheaper, thankies to whoever posted that tidbit of info on LRG forums ;)

I'm not too fussed about button swaps, as a hell of a lot of games have different control schemes, and since i play a wide variety of games the buttons change constantly >.<
Anyone remember FFVII on the PS1? O was accept and X was cancel, and i'm pretty sure most of us got used to that for the sake of playing it :D

@KupoMogli the bf says he had to swap the trigger buttons on Payday, because the game was almost impossible otherwise. Since the L2 and R2 buttons on the PS4 controllers are triggers, you have to allow that for split seconds being missing as you take the time to push the triggers down in order for it to fire. Swap them to the L1 and R1 buttons though, and that split second lag is gone :D

I think the only thing that either of us religiously change on a controller however is the good old 'up is down and down is up camera' fiasco. I work in HALO days where up is up and down is down, the bf works in AMIGA game days where up is down and down is up. Those backwards ass oldies XD

Currently Playing:

Superbeat Xonic - Vita - What is it with rhythm games being so damned hard!?
A Rose in the Twilight - Vita - The extra dungeon is so damn frustrating! Such a sad idea for a game :_(
Warframe - PS4 - The only sorta MMO i've ever started, and i love it! :D
The Last Guardian - Threw some curveball story moments, and now some curveball trophies >.<
Heart no Kuni no Alice Anniversary Edition - PC - What a sweet hare! Er, i mean DOG, please don't shoot me Elliot! :O
Ancestral_Spirit
LRG Super Fan

Postby 315retro » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:43 am

Ape escape used to kill me with this
http://www.instagram.com/315retro/ Check out my collection!!

ImageImage
315retro
Ultimate Fan

Postby shinoff2183 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:55 am

I throughly enjoy imports hell there are so many games not even getting physical releases in the states. Importing is good for us gamers/collectors. Ive never really thought about the button layouts, I just kinda got used to it without even realizing it.
See ya around Lawrence
shinoff2183
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 pm

I'm pretty used to it as well. I make mistakes here and there, but it doesn't detract from the game experience. That said, in this day an age, really every game should come with fully customizable controls.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby PunishedSonicSpeed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 am

I though this was a game complaining about shipping and other problems from order games from certain countries.

I heard that if you aren't from canada order products from that country can be quite difficult, I am not sure at all but it seems like the shipment and other shipping stuff is different in that country.

I ordered a game from that country and it never came, oh well.

Whatever year it is and the videogame community still sucks...
Real fan of Sonic The Hedgehog and Konami but also Sonic The Hedgehog.
PunishedSonicSpeed
LRG Super Fan

Location: The blood in my veins is cursed, give me a Pizza before you leave me alone.

Postby StormJumper » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 pm

Worst part about imports is the Domestic market in the US are eShop when Physical gets released outside of NA that is the part that stinks to high heaven. We gamers would gladly by Physical and we do buy them even if someone buys to re-sale that is their prerogative to do that but not mine.
StormJumper
LRG Super Fan

Postby tokyobassist » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:53 pm

X is the "No" in Japanese (batsu) with O being "Ok".

We just associate the placement of the X button or B Buttom or A button as the "Yes" button. It's the second "start" button in gaming. I personally grew up with both regions being a military brat so the differences never bothered me but was always interesting to see how others react to it.
tokyobassist
Physical Champion

Postby Ancestral_Spirit » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:55 pm

tokyobassist wrote:X is the "No" in Japanese (batsu) with O being "Ok".

We just associate the placement of the X button or B Buttom or A button as the "Yes" button. It's the second "start" button in gaming. I personally grew up with both regions being a military brat so the differences never bothered me but was always interesting to see how others react to it.

To me it does kinda make more sense for X to mean no, i mean when you watch game shows and things if someone gets something wrong there's a big X on the screen, meaning you did something wrong.
I'd associate that more with a cancel button, and O to mean you're doing ok, so use that as an accept symbol.

I think it's been so ingrained into me now though that X is to accept on a Playstation console so much that i'd find it hard to go the Japanese way around. Then again most gamers learn through muscle memory, so if you did it for long enough i suppose you'd get used to it again.

Completely random question for anyone who wants to answer, what do you consider to be the ideal 'jump' button in a game?
Platformers, fighting games doesn't really matter :)
For me it's X, but i know some people prefer O.

Currently Playing:

Superbeat Xonic - Vita - What is it with rhythm games being so damned hard!?
A Rose in the Twilight - Vita - The extra dungeon is so damn frustrating! Such a sad idea for a game :_(
Warframe - PS4 - The only sorta MMO i've ever started, and i love it! :D
The Last Guardian - Threw some curveball story moments, and now some curveball trophies >.<
Heart no Kuni no Alice Anniversary Edition - PC - What a sweet hare! Er, i mean DOG, please don't shoot me Elliot! :O
Ancestral_Spirit
LRG Super Fan

Postby Best1989 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Ancestral_Spirit wrote:
Completely random question for anyone who wants to answer, what do you consider to be the ideal 'jump' button in a game?
Platformers, fighting games doesn't really matter :)
For me it's X, but i know some people prefer O.

X, for sure.
Best1989
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:55 pm

Everyone knows the only true jump button is L3, Dark Souls style. :P

No, L3 sucks as a jump button. X or O, I have no preference.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Return to General Discussions