• Who is online

Talk about everything else here!

Postby BuraddoRun » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Has anyone watched this yet? It's an anime about a kid that sucks at everything except video games. It takes place in the early 90s, but the show itself just came out this year. The first episode has him playing Street Fighter II in arcades and beating everyone, until this girl, a classmate, shows up and destroys him with Zangief. He gets really annoyed because she's great at everything, top in her class, cute, and rich. She "belongs" in a fancy world, not his world of stinky cigarette-smoke filled arcades. Apparently Square Enix sponsored the show but a lot of different videogames show up. I've only seen the first episode so far but in it they play and talk about Street Fighter II, Splatterhouse, Ghosts n' Goblins, and Final Fight. I even learned something I didn't know about scoring in Final Fight!

All-in-all it seems like a good show. It's definitely light-hearted and has a lot of funny moments. There are 12 episodes in the series but more are coming later I believe. The art isn't much to look at, but they show off real gameplay footage and give real tips and information about the games they talk about.

Here's the opening credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wew9zHCJYyI
Last edited by BuraddoRun on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Best1989 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:41 pm

First time I hear about it, but it sounds great, going by what you say. I'll have to check it out.
Best1989
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:47 pm

So apparently it's actually coming to Netflix in December.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby nosaveddata » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:22 pm

BuraddoRun wrote:So apparently it's actually coming to Netflix in December.

Netflix! I'll definitely be watching this. Did you watch castlevania?
I thought it was very good and looking forward to the next series.
nosaveddata
Ultimate Fan

Postby kupomogli » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:11 pm

I'll check it out. Considering it sounds like a documentary of myself in anime form, sounds interesting.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 pm

nosaveddata wrote:
BuraddoRun wrote:So apparently it's actually coming to Netflix in December.

Netflix! I'll definitely be watching this. Did you watch castlevania?
I thought it was very good and looking forward to the next series.

I actually haven't watched Castlevania yet. I need to!
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 pm

So yeah, I'm bumping this because this topic because this show is REALLY good! It's been on Netflix for a few months now. I just finished episode 5 while eating dinner tonight (yes, I'm slow...I've been watching different things), and it's so good! LOTS of video games are showcased. While a lot of these are fighting games, they aren't the only games played. Anyway, go watch it! It's hilarious and cute!
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Fries » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:31 am

Based on your recommendation I guess I'll give the show a shot. Now that I'm thinking back on it I don't believe I've watched anything anime related in well over a year, so this will be a nice change of pace.
Fries
Ultimate Fan

Postby Fries » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:32 am

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I ended up watching the show. It was fun; I liked the characters (they fall back on some anime clichés, but doesn't get too trope-y or anything) and I enjoyed exploring these game releases from the perspective of a Japanese student during the golden era of arcade releases.

Hopefully season two is on the way.
Fries
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:03 am

Fries wrote:Oh yeah, forgot to mention I ended up watching the show. It was fun; I liked the characters (they fall back on some anime clichés, but doesn't get too trope-y or anything) and I enjoyed exploring these game releases from the perspective of a Japanese student during the golden era of arcade releases.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. They're releasing 3 more episodes in March on Netflix. It's technically not a second season, as in Japan they will be direct-to-video releases, but hopefully they will tie up the loose end from the last episode.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby Fries » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:11 am

BuraddoRun wrote:
Fries wrote:Oh yeah, forgot to mention I ended up watching the show. It was fun; I liked the characters (they fall back on some anime clichés, but doesn't get too trope-y or anything) and I enjoyed exploring these game releases from the perspective of a Japanese student during the golden era of arcade releases.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. They're releasing 3 more episodes in March on Netflix. It's technically not a second season, as in Japan they will be direct-to-video releases, but hopefully they will tie up the loose end from the last episode.

Ah, right. I actually read that when I was looking up more info, but I guess that's the kind of thing that leaves your mind when posting at 3:30AM. :lol:
Fries
Ultimate Fan

Postby Xenogears » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:32 pm

I loved this show, I highly recommend it. Even though I'm not a huge fighting game fan, whenever video game references are done right, especially using the real IP, I can't help but fall in love with it. I'm eagerly awaiting the OVA now. I believe it's dropping in march and covering episodes 13-15.
Xenogears
Physical Champion

Return to General Discussions