• Who is online

Talk about everything else here!

Postby Fries » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:57 pm

So I ordered the Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Limited Edition from Amazon on the 25th, it arrived after the weekend in a very thin bubble mailer... given that the game comes in a cardboard box with a significant amount of empty space, you can imagine that the item got easily crushed in transit. So I I contacted Amazon chat support, they filed product feedback, and I ordered a replacement that arrived the 30th. This time, a significant amount of the game box corner was crushed and the shipping packaging remained the same thin bubble mailer. I reached out again to customer support and they made this case high priority, I had three different customer service reps at different levels emailing me... but the item was sold out by this point, on back-order until February 7th.

I was annoyed; I don't have that much time to play games and had set aside free time to play Kingdom Hearts, only for me to unable to open these damaged copies because they had to be returned. Regardless, I processed for another return and expected to wait until February 7th for my game. However, I received another email from a representative stating: "I'd be happy to create a replacement, but you might receive same wrong item if I create a replacement. So, in this case, to get the correct item, I'd request you to please place a new order (fulfilled by Amazon) with fastest shipping and write us back so that we'd be able to issue a full refund for shipping charges and price difference if any. I request you to please return the original item and we will issue a full refund to you."

So I replied to this email to no response, and got in touch with customer service the next day (today) relaying the contents of this email. The rep told me that due to a processing error, a replacement was actually already in transit but tracking was messed up on my end, so I wasn't notified and it should absolutely arrive tonight. I made sure to specify which item/order I was talking about multiple times, and he repeatedly assured me that my copy of Kingdom Hearts was arriving. It didn't. There was no replacement order.

By the way, I learned that Amazon was now no longer getting additional copies of the Limited Edition, the back order was cancelled.



I contacted customer support again, wanting to order from a Amazon fulfilled third-party seller (or the Amazon Warehouse) for my replacement and have the cost difference covered. The woman I was communicating with said that wasn't possible, despite the email I received. I was transferred to a sales rep, who again said they do not offer to cover the price difference from a different seller even though my copy was bought directly from Amazon - not even the Amazon Warehouse would have worked in this case.

So at this point I have to make a decision, get a refund and pay more for the game (to gamble if the item will arrive in good condition) or ask for a refund and keep the least damaged of the two copies. I contacted customer support again, and dealt with a very reasonable and sympathetic representative who wanted to give me a full refund... but could only offer 15%. 15% off the discounted Amazon Prime price, not the full price. I got about $7 in returns. I was very polite and straightforward during all these exchanges with customer service, but since I'm in the company of my fellow LR forum-goers I think it's safe to allow reveal my real emotions about this ordeal... I'M FUCKING PISSED OFF. I PAID FOR A GAME AND NOW HAVE TO DEAL WITH A DEFECTIVE VERSION. THANKS FOR NOTHING, AMAZON. FUCK!!

----
Anyway, I've generally had very positive experiences with Amazon customer service, so this was a shock that they wouldn't cover the difference in price (even though the email specifically said they would) buying from another Amazon fulfilled seller. Anyone else deal with insufficient Amazon customer service?
User avatar
Fries
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm


Postby BuraddoRun » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:21 pm

My advice, honestly, is to go into full stink mode about it. That doesn't mean you have to cuss them out, but do raise your voice and be firm. Show negative emotion. You are a Prime member, so they should take that into account and work something out. With HUGE companies like Wal-Mart and Amazon, you can basically complain until you get what you want. I would say that if they can't replace your game, in the very least they should be able to give you a FULL refund and let you keep it for free.

I once ordered an out-of-print Blu-ray for $70 from an Amazon-fulfilled seller. Instead of getting what I ordered, I got a cheap non-Disney Cinderella DVD that was going for about $5. It had a sticker on it claiming to be my Blu-ray. I contacted customer service and they told me to send it back and then I'd get a refund. I put up a stink about it, demanding a full refund immediately if they couldn't replace the movie (they couldn't). I had a situation in the past with an Amazon-fulfilled seller that claimed they never received my return package, so that became an annoying ordeal that I didn't want to go through again. I wanted my money guaranteed. Anyway, after I went through a manager (after holding for a good 30 minutes), they not only refunded me in full immediately ,but they let me keep the crappy DVD as well.
Image
User avatar
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 pm
Location: Texas, United States


Postby Fries » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:27 pm

BuraddoRun wrote:My advice, honestly, is to go into full stink mode about it. That doesn't mean you have to cuss them out, but do raise your voice and be firm. Show negative emotion. You are a Prime member, so they should take that into account and work something out. With HUGE companies like Wal-Mart and Amazon, you can basically complain until you get what you want. I would say that if they can't replace your game, in the very least they should be able to give you a FULL refund and let you keep it for free.

I once ordered an out-of-print Blu-ray for $70 from an Amazon-fulfilled seller. Instead of getting what I ordered, I got a cheap non-Disney Cinderella DVD that was going for about $5. It had a sticker on it claiming to be my Blu-ray. I contacted customer service and they told me to send it back and then I'd get a refund. I put up a stink about it, demanding a full refund immediately if they couldn't replace the movie (they couldn't). I had a situation in the past with an Amazon-fulfilled seller that claimed they never received my return package, so that became an annoying ordeal that I didn't want to go through again. I wanted my money guaranteed. Anyway, after I went through a manager (after holding for a good 30 minutes), they not only refunded me in full immediately ,but they let me keep the crappy DVD as well.

I tried to doing that, (well, the polite but firm version of stink mode) but the representative literally could no offer me a full refund even though he said he wanted to many times. 15% was the highest they allow. I'll call tomorrow as a last ditch effort, but I doubt anything will come of it...

An additional kick while I'm down, the actual shrink wrap on the PS4 game itself wasn't properly sealed. Not that it really matters since the outer box is sealed and I'm going to play the game, but if I wanted to sell the item separately as a 'Not for Resale' version I couldn't truly call it sealed.
User avatar
Fries
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm


Postby BuraddoRun » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:59 pm

Ask for a manager. The rep told me flat out that they wouldn't be able to do what I wanted either. I asked for a manager,and they said the manager wouldn't be able to help me like I wanted either. I demanded to speak to the manager and they put me on hold for about 30 min. As soon as the manager came on, they gave me exactly what I asked for and more.
Image
User avatar
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 pm
Location: Texas, United States


Postby Fries » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:04 pm

BuraddoRun wrote:Ask for a manager. The rep told me flat out that they wouldn't be able to do what I wanted either. I asked for a manager,and they said the manager wouldn't be able to help me like I wanted either. I demanded to speak to the manager and they put me on hold for about 30 min. As soon as the manager came on, they gave me exactly what I asked for and more.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot. I've never really pulled the 'I'm an Amazon Prime member, give me better service' card before either, so maybe I'll throw that out there a bit as well. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
User avatar
Fries
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm


Postby zoiks66 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:07 pm

I've been an Amazon Prime member for many years and order constantly from them, and I recently joined Best Buy's Gamer's Club Unlocked because of how Amazon ships video games (not packed well in the thinnest bubble mailers available). I now pick up all of the new games I order at the nearest Best Buy store, so I don't have to worry about damage during shipping. It's less convenient, and I'm not happy about it either.
zoiks66
Physical Champion
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:06 am
Location: Midwest USA


Postby FoP » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:42 am

Wow, that's pretty extreme. One would think that a big company like that would've learnt by now that for shipping collector's items in flimsy boxes they'd need something more than a bubble mailer.
I've never had any big issues with Amazon as far as I can remember; they DO use pretty bad mailers here too but since I rarely order anything in a paper box it's survived fine so far; PS4 cases seem pretty hard to crack, judging by the wresling videos I've seen. :D

There was once when I had ordered a few games from Amazon US via a guy who lived in the US for a few months. A few of those games were of the "Fulfilled by Amazon" kind and one for some reason shipped a completely different game than I had ordered. The problem was that since I did this via a games smuggler I didn't notice until like 3 months later; I asked for a replacement for the right game but the seller didn't have it so he offered me a refund if I sent the game back but that didn't feel worth the trouble so I instead asked to be refunded the difference between the game I bought and the game I got (which was quite the bit cheaper) - I'm still damn sure I got shortchanged on that one but since I only used gift cards for the entire 11-games $200 order it didn't feel too bad. The tough thing was finding the game later though, and up till today it's the only PS3 game where I've had to give in and buy it used.

Fries wrote:An additional kick while I'm down, the actual shrink wrap on the PS4 game itself wasn't properly sealed. Not that it really matters since the outer box is sealed and I'm going to play the game, but if I wanted to sell the item separately as a 'Not for Resale' version I couldn't truly call it sealed.


Did that also come from the transportation damage, or iis it just that you got really unlucky with a sloppy factory job?
User avatar
FoP
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 am
Location: Sweden


Postby 315retro » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:54 am

Hmm. I've never had an issue with Amazon. I ordered a homebrew kit that arrived broken and incomplete and I had my refund the minute ups scanned my package the following day for return.
http://www.instagram.com/315retro/ Check out my collection!!

ImageImage
User avatar
315retro
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:45 am
Location: CNY


Postby Fries » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:17 pm

FoP wrote:
Fries wrote:An additional kick while I'm down, the actual shrink wrap on the PS4 game itself wasn't properly sealed. Not that it really matters since the outer box is sealed and I'm going to play the game, but if I wanted to sell the item separately as a 'Not for Resale' version I couldn't truly call it sealed.

Did that also come from the transportation damage, or iis it just that you got really unlucky with a sloppy factory job?

That must have been a factory error, one side of the plastic wrap just wasn't sealed at all.


Anyway, an update on the situation. My copy of Abzu arrived today with the PS4 case cracked - little pieces of plastic were floating around underneath the seal. So in addition to Amazon's sub-par packaging, there is a good chance my post office is just getting sloppy.

I called Amazon support today asking for a full refund on Kingdom Hearts and a replacement for Abzu - they offered me 50% on Kingdom Hearts, which I wasn't going to argue any further on; it took me 15 minutes to get the customer service rep to agree to that alone. However, she seemed to have missed that I received a 15% discount before, so I ended up with a 65% discount plus a $5.00 promotional balance and a month of Amazon Prime free from the initial support call after the the second shipment arrived damaged (when the Limited Edition was supposed to be on back-order). They could have done better, but overall I'll be able to get one or two cheap games out of this ordeal.

The Abzu replacement should arrive Friday with no hassle, as expected, but the representative also said they would send out people to investigate the practices of my local USPS since this appears to be a reoccurring issue. Who knows if that will actually initiate improvements, but I guess I can hope this will mean my packages might arrive in better condition. Maybe.
User avatar
Fries
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm


Postby BuraddoRun » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:14 pm

Good deal. I'm glad they were able to do better than originally stated. It sucks that your local post office is apparently so careless with your packages. Sadly, I think this happens a lot around the country.
Image
User avatar
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 pm
Location: Texas, United States


Postby FoP » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:16 am

Fries wrote:That must have been a factory error, one side of the plastic wrap just wasn't sealed at all.
/
The Abzu replacement should arrive Friday with no hassle, as expected, but the representative also said they would send out people to investigate the practices of my local USPS since this appears to be a reoccurring issue. Who knows if that will actually initiate improvements, but I guess I can hope this will mean my packages might arrive in better condition. Maybe.


Wow, that's pretty bad. Talk about a bad luck streak with that.

At least it sounds good with Abzu, and it's great if they'll actually do something about how the mail is handled. That certainly would've been needed in some places here in Sweden too.
User avatar
FoP
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 am
Location: Sweden


Postby Fries » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:45 am

I ended up buying Lumo and Tales from the Borderlands for the PS4, and Muramasa Rebirth for the Vita with the money I got back along with a $10 gift card I was saving. Only went about $10 over with the order.

I'm gonna try to buff out the damages as best I can on the Kingdom Hearts box and move past the annoyance this caused; as long as Abzu and the items in this recent order arrive in good shape I can try to appreciate the silver lining with the new games I can now play. I've actually never tried a Telltale adventure game before, so I'm looking forward to Tales of the Borderlands. I'm also glad I had an excuse to bite the bullet on Muramasa before it inevitably skyrockets in price.
User avatar
Fries
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm


Postby yearofthegus » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Out of curiosity, how bad was the box smashed?
yearofthegus
I want to believe
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:03 pm


Postby Fries » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:13 pm

yearofthegus wrote:Out of curiosity, how bad was the box smashed?

The original box was crushed 'flat', so all the sides had massive folds/creases and bowed outward, among other dings along the edges. That one was pretty bad. The replacement had one corner crushed in significantly, and some slight wear on a couple other edges. I might be able to 'fix' the corner on the replacement so it won't look as bad from a distance or displayed on a shelf, but the way the box opens from the sides instead of the top makes it difficult to apply weight on it to flatten out the damages. It also has an insert that's glued into the hold the included game and pin, so I can't flatten the entire box that way either.

I already sent back the original order otherwise I'd post a picture, but I'll show the replacement in the pick-ups thread once some of the other stuff I bought comes in.
User avatar
Fries
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm


Postby Fries » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:51 am

Just an update on the Abzu damages, I received my replacement today and although the case itself was not cracked like the original, (thankfully) both have a defect with the clear plastic that holds the cover in place. On the backside where the case opens, the outer plastic has sunken inward drastically and doesn't appear to be attached properly to the edge of the case.

I have a feeling this may be a manufacturing problem with whole batch of Abzu copies that mine came from, so I just decided to keep the oddly damaged replacement and got a $5.00 promotional refund. I'll order some spare PS4 cases in bulk at some point and swap it out, I guess. I also asked the Amazon rep to file my feedback so someone can investigate the condition of the remaining Abzu stock. I wouldn't want any other customers to get damaged items.

Anyway, this hopefully ends my saga of damaged items from Amazon for awhile.
User avatar
Fries
LRG Super Fan
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm


Postby yearofthegus » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:01 am

Fries wrote:Just an update on the Abzu damages, I received my replacement today and although the case itself was not cracked like the original, (thankfully) both have a defect with the clear plastic that holds the cover in place. On the backside where the case opens, the outer plastic has sunken inward drastically and doesn't appear to be attached properly to the edge of the case.


A few of my recent games have looked like the clear plastic was heat warped. So yeah, case manufacturing issues. At least they aren't fusing the shrink wrap on the label end. >_>
yearofthegus
I want to believe
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:03 pm


Postby FoP » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:51 am

Yeah, I heard you mention this Fries. Hm, do you - or gus - have any possibility to upload a picture of one of these strange games?
If I had thought of it, before I left home I should've taken a photo of that old Brutal Legend box which also had some strange problem with the transparent plastic.
User avatar
FoP
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 am
Location: Sweden


Postby yearofthegus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Welp, my Halo Wars 2 case has a nice crack on the front... About a week ago my copy of Lost Season 1 had the structural pieces of plastic on the inside snapped off.
yearofthegus
I want to believe
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:03 pm


Postby BuraddoRun » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:04 pm

yearofthegus wrote:Welp, my Halo Wars 2 case has a nice crack on the front... About a week ago my copy of Lost Season 1 had the structural pieces of plastic on the inside snapped off.


I hate it when the inside plastic breaks. I have a handful of multi-disc TV show seasons that had that happen during shipping. If the discs can still be held, I let it slide, but it's still super annoying!
Image
User avatar
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 pm
Location: Texas, United States


Postby FoP » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:24 am

BuraddoRun wrote:
yearofthegus wrote:Welp, my Halo Wars 2 case has a nice crack on the front... About a week ago my copy of Lost Season 1 had the structural pieces of plastic on the inside snapped off.

I hate it when the inside plastic breaks. I have a handful of multi-disc TV show seasons that had that happen during shipping. If the discs can still be held, I let it slide, but it's still super annoying!


Agreed! As you say it's worse with those multi-disc DVD boxes since those are kinda hard to replace. It often happens to me with CDs but at least there finding replacement cases is still quite easy.
User avatar
FoP
Ultimate Fan
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 am
Location: Sweden



Return to General Discussions