• Who is online

Suggest new releases and discuss past and upcoming releases.

Postby Tekkaman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:21 am

I was surprised to see that there wasn't a thread anywhere talking about this event. I have already requested the time off of work to be able to attend. Not entirely sure if I will be there for both days yet, but I will be there on Saturday for sure. I am thinking about maybe making a t-shirt with my forum avatar on it so that everyone (LRG staff included) will know who I am at a glance. I will be sure to let you all know if I do. Anyone else from the forum going to be in attendance? It would be awesome to meet you guys face-to-face.
Tekkaman
LRG Super Fan

Postby thegrifter » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:09 am

I’ve been toying with the idea of coming, though it’s a 7 hour ride for me.
I really want to get Revenge of the Bird King among other things, I wonder how much he’ll be selling them for. If I don’t end up going, I hope one of you can get me one, I’ll pay whatever!
thegrifter
Physical Warrior

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:23 am

Way too far for me.
BenoitRen
Physical Champion

Postby FoP » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:15 am

BenoitRen wrote:Way too far for me.

Same here!

However I'd like to get my hands on a PS4 Bird King, so if anyone doing would pick one up for cost, postage and a tip as thanks it'd be great, however I understand if eBay prices would be more tempting. :P
FoP
Ultimate Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:00 am

Would be a 7 hour drive for me, but if anyone is going, just going to put this out there, if anyone wants to pick me up a copy of Bird King, I will pay you back double what you payed for it (assuming its $25-30 hopefully), plus any shipping fees to send it to me.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:47 am

impossible for me

then again thats what lrg wants anyway they dont care about their international customers at all anymore.

this will pretty much mostly be sold to a few resellers who sellit for premium on ebay.

I doubt even 0,1% of their customers would be able to make it with the distance and everything.
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby kazumn » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:38 am

For the people going be sure to post up some pictures if you feel like it.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby Best1989 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:38 pm

kazumn wrote:For the people going be sure to post up some pictures if you feel like it.

Yeah, please do!

Also, I read somewhere that Revenge of Bird King is being sold for more than $30 at the events where Joe is going, so I wouldn't hold my hopes for that price lol
Best1989
Global Mod

Postby Zee » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Too far from Australia for me, love a copy of bird king just for myself, wouldn't paid alot for it but love a copy at a reasonable price 8-)
One thing I hate is.....
Zee
Physical Champion

Postby bmcphail » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:02 am

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Would be a 7 hour drive for me, but if anyone is going, just going to put this out there, if anyone wants to pick me up a copy of Bird King, I will pay you back double what you payed for it (assuming its $25-30 hopefully), plus any shipping fees to send it to me.

He was charging $60 a copy at PRGE, so I doubt he'll cut the price for this event.
bmcphail
LRG Super Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:26 am

Jeez, didnt realize he was doing that. I mean I can get the whole thing with not being able to ship out copies, but thats kind of scummy to be selling them for the same price as a AAA title and not the price if it had gone through with the normal LRG release, regardless if he was the one who had them manufactured. I could just imagine someone doing a low-print run of something and then selling off copies for 100$ a piece at private sales.

Well, if thats the "standard" price, I will pay it, whatever someone feels is a fair "acquisition" fee for them plus shipping if anyone is interested.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby thegrifter » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:31 pm

Damn, doesn't look likely I'll go anymore, I think I'm working that Friday and Sunday now. I just checked and it's actually an 8 hour trip lmao. Probably wouldn't make it if I tried. Seriously though, like others asked, if anyone wants to pick up Bird King for me, I'll pay nicely for it (even upfront if you want since it seems like it'll be $60 which is a lot, plus shipping and more for the act!)
thegrifter
Physical Warrior

Postby bmcphail » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:52 pm

thegrifter wrote:Damn, doesn't look likely I'll go anymore, I think I'm working that Friday and Sunday now. I just checked and it's actually an 8 hour trip lmao. Probably wouldn't make it if I tried. Seriously though, like others asked, if anyone wants to pick up Bird King for me, I'll pay nicely for it (even upfront if you want since it seems like it'll be $60 which is a lot, plus shipping and more for the act!)

Sounds like it will be limited to one per customer, but he did mention that he is working on a way to sell them online after the event.
bmcphail
LRG Super Fan

Postby thegrifter » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:56 pm

bmcphail wrote:Sounds like it will be limited to one per customer, but he did mention that he is working on a way to sell them online after the event.

You trying to break my heart? :cry:
thegrifter
Physical Warrior

Postby mr. Hyde » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:57 pm

bmcphail wrote:
thegrifter wrote:Damn, doesn't look likely I'll go anymore, I think I'm working that Friday and Sunday now. I just checked and it's actually an 8 hour trip lmao. Probably wouldn't make it if I tried. Seriously though, like others asked, if anyone wants to pick up Bird King for me, I'll pay nicely for it (even upfront if you want since it seems like it'll be $60 which is a lot, plus shipping and more for the act!)

Sounds like it will be limited to one per customer, but he did mention that he is working on a way to sell them online after the event.
enoug scalpers willing to buy them and in this case im pretty sure most of these will end in scalpers hands.

then again thats clearly what lrg wants at this point money is money
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby twisted » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:04 am

it is supposedly limited to just one per customer..and the asking price is supposedly $60 for each copy of Bird King, then again restricted to 1 copy per person..supposedly CASH ONLY type sale as well...in order to purchase it supposedly you will be issued a "ticket" so they can "control" and "verify" the sale is only 1 per person...and that person would likely have to be one of the R.S.V.P. guests as well...they expect these "Bird King" copies to go within the first hour of the event opening..so there asking people to line up extra early first thing in the morning..to try to get a chance for "Bird King' kind of like a Black Friday morning or a new console launch etc..remember folks the game has SONY PRINT MINIMUM requirements..which is rumored to be a 1,000 units...there are many, many, many, other PS4 games at a 1000 units..that go for abysmal sale prices..it's just this game had a well oiled machine, spew a lot of propaganda to drive up the hype to stratospheric levels..where people are walking up to "LRG JOE" and asking for pictures posing with Bird King..like he was HIDEO KOJIMA or MIYAMOTO from Nintendo.
twisted
True Believer

Postby mr. Hyde » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:56 am

twisted wrote:it is supposedly limited to just one per customer..and the asking price is supposedly $60 for each copy of Bird King, then again restricted to 1 copy per person..supposedly CASH ONLY type sale as well...in order to purchase it supposedly you will be issued a "ticket" so they can "control" and "verify" the sale is only 1 per person...and that person would likely have to be one of the R.S.V.P. guests as well...they expect these "Bird King" copies to go within the first hour of the event opening..so there asking people to line up extra early first thing in the morning..to try to get a chance for "Bird King' kind of like a Black Friday morning or a new console launch etc..remember folks the game has SONY PRINT MINIMUM requirements..which is rumored to be a 1,000 units...there are many, many, many, other PS4 games at a 1000 units..that go for abysmal sale prices..it's just this game had a well oiled machine, spew a lot of propaganda to drive up the hype to stratospheric levels..where people are walking up to "LRG JOE" and asking for pictures posing with Bird King..like he was HIDEO KOJIMA or MIYAMOTO from Nintendo.
the differnce with this game though is that it doesnt have a digital version
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby kazumn » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:47 am

all the social media drama around those physical copies off revenge of the bird king pretty much sum up everithing that is wrong with collecting "current gen", that and nearly every physical game seems to be released as a collectible these days it's getting quite annoying.
kazumn
Physical Champion

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:57 pm

I think I will have better luck trying for the vita version at this point.
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:45 pm

Dr. Robotnik wrote:I think I will have better luck trying for the vita version at this point.
if that even excists im still doubtfull
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby jrmann33 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:46 pm

I am planning on going to the event. I dont really have any interest in the Bird King game (never have been into buying games based on collectibility). I only really want to pick up games that would cost less in person as opposed to just getting it off ebay. I am still wondering how much inventory they have for a 2 day event. What I was thinking would be crazy what if someone showed and just threw down several thousand just to buy everything there. What if people plan to come Sunday and all they have are scraps left over? I also am seriously wondering if they have lots of good, upper echelon games still in their inventory or if they are the games that were sub par to begin with.
jrmann33
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:50 pm

jrmann33 wrote:I am planning on going to the event. I dont really have any interest in the Bird King game (never have been into buying games based on collectibility). I only really want to pick up games that would cost less in person as opposed to just getting it off ebay. I am still wondering how much inventory they have for a 2 day event. What I was thinking would be crazy what if someone showed and just threw down several thousand just to buy everything there. What if people plan to come Sunday and all they have are scraps left over? I also am seriously wondering if they have lots of good, upper echelon games still in their inventory or if they are the games that were sub par to begin with.

If you're going to go, I'd definitely recommend going on Saturday. There will probably still be stuff left Sunday. Heck, they MAY even hold some stuff back until Sunday just to spread it out like they do game sales twice a day. Still, better safe than sorry.

I think this would be a fun road trip, but unfortunately my holidays and events this month are planned out already, and I have to work that Saturday. Seeing that it'd be a 17-hour drive for me or so, the timing just doesn't work out for me. But for those of you that go, take pictures for us and bring back stories!
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby jrmann33 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:15 pm

I am lucky to live in the same town/city area as Limited Run. I actually work right near where that mall is they are holding it at.

I don't have a ton of money to spend because of the Holidays coming up but I will be going on Saturday right as it opens. I like what they are doing with allowing people the opportunity if you show up early to pick out one game (if they have it) to kind of reserve something you are missing. I am actually wondering honestly how popular this might actually be and how long lines might be. Josh posted a picture of the empty store they rented out, but I am curious how they are going to present things in a way so that it isn't mass chaos once the "doors open". The one game I was kind of hoping I can pick up (I mever got it originally) is Firewatch. Besides that there are a lot of mediocre games I would consider picking up but in all honesty doing my research some "meh" games are the same price or cheaper on Ebay right now. I think they said they would set most prices at what they originally retailed for so in all honesty a lot of games probably won't fly off the shelves/tables unless people who drove from really far just get crazy and buy everythibg and anything they think they need w/o considering prices elsewhere (aka Ebay).
jrmann33
Ultimate Fan

Postby jrmann33 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:20 pm

^ I am also curious what they consider damaged items and the severity of damaged items. If it is a game that has a tear in the seal I don't expect it to be 50% off but it better not only be like 2 dollars off.

Another thing that might cross their minds, Ibwonder if things do not sell all that great if they would consider doing "everything still available is 75% off". If not, I wonder if they will be fine hauling inventory back to their company warehouse.
jrmann33
Ultimate Fan

Postby twisted » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:00 am

i am gonna theorize that it is going to be chaotic and keep in mind, there's going to be thousands of general shoppers at the mall as well trying to get in to see what the fuss is about! i seriously doubt they want to take left overs of damaged product and lug it back to the warehouse and take up even more much needed shelf space for future releases and inventory of "distributed" titles..i think Sunday there will be a drastic mark down fire sale..and i think the best stuff will be sold saturday..and sunday is intended for left overs..you can tell Sunday is left overs day because even operating hours are shrunken to a 4 hour window..lastly, there all going into this blind..it will come off as disorganized..and there's gonna be fist fights lol probably like a black friday where there selling a tv. lol or a new toaster lol for dirt cheap.
twisted
True Believer

Postby Rhetorical » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:15 am

twisted wrote:i am gonna theorize that it is going to be chaotic and keep in mind, there's going to be thousands of general shoppers at the mall as well trying to get in to see what the fuss is about! i seriously doubt they want to take left overs of damaged product and lug it back to the warehouse and take up even more much needed shelf space for future releases and inventory of "distributed" titles..i think Sunday there will be a drastic mark down fire sale..and i think the best stuff will be sold saturday..and sunday is intended for left overs..you can tell Sunday is left overs day because even operating hours are shrunken to a 4 hour window..lastly, there all going into this blind..it will come off as disorganized..and there's gonna be fist fights lol probably like a black friday where there selling a tv. lol or a new toaster lol for dirt cheap.

I hope it is not like this
I have seen many videos of Black Friday sales in America
Anyone who goes there please stay safe
The games are not worth risking your health over
Rhetorical
Physical Champion

Postby mr. Hyde » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 am

Rhetorical wrote:
twisted wrote:i am gonna theorize that it is going to be chaotic and keep in mind, there's going to be thousands of general shoppers at the mall as well trying to get in to see what the fuss is about! i seriously doubt they want to take left overs of damaged product and lug it back to the warehouse and take up even more much needed shelf space for future releases and inventory of "distributed" titles..i think Sunday there will be a drastic mark down fire sale..and i think the best stuff will be sold saturday..and sunday is intended for left overs..you can tell Sunday is left overs day because even operating hours are shrunken to a 4 hour window..lastly, there all going into this blind..it will come off as disorganized..and there's gonna be fist fights lol probably like a black friday where there selling a tv. lol or a new toaster lol for dirt cheap.

I hope it is not like this
I have seen many videos of Black Friday sales in America
Anyone who goes there please stay safe
The games are not worth risking your health over
I hope it is like this actualy just so they have to think twice next times if they want to do something like this and maybe do something that doesnt screw over 99% of their customers
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Postby jrmann33 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:14 am

Some of you guys must not be familiar with that mall. Cary is a wonderful area but that particular mall has been dying a slow agonizing death for the last decade. "Thousands of shoppers" is a bigggggg stretch. If it was Black Friday weekend maybe hundreds, but there is nothing really significant still surviving at that mall. There are a ton of empty stores in there so it was probably very easy for them to just rent a space no problem.
jrmann33
Ultimate Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:01 am

Having never been to an LRG ev-... or should I say... event that LRG attends, or even read about them after the fact, I don't know what kind of in-person turnout they get.

It seems like they always have stock to put up on the site after such events so they clearly aren't selling out while there. Or maybe they do sell out but deliberately limit the stock they bring so there will be some left for the site (thoughtful of them if so). The PAX variant of Rabi-Ribi was said to be 600 copies for each platform but the website had like 300 of each on sale later. Yes, it sold out really fast on the site, but the fact that it made it there at all, despite the pessimistic predictions of some people, is noteworthy. The 2019 PAX merch (Snatcher and Shantae animation OSTs, Shantae GBC box and stickers, and the pins and trading cards for Mighty Switch Force, Shantae, River City Girls and Vitamin Connection) each had TONS of remaining stock (ranging from 50-90% for each item) according to the alleged numbers produced and the remaining inventory quantities in the site's source code, and most of it took forever to sell. I'm pretty sure PAX exclusives from previous years also made it to the site in their respective years but it wasn't stuff I cared about and was too long ago for me to remember now. In short, as with every other time, the preemptive anger about missing out seems too pessimistic.

Frankly, despite also being in this echo chamber with all of you in thinking we're up against the whole world (or the slightly more realistic much smaller gaming world (or the more realistic very small indie/fullset game collector world)) when trying to buy this stuff, I try to remind myself that this whole limited print thing is still actually very, very niche and the issue is that there are several thousand people online, globally, fighting over only a few thousand of each release. Absolutely tiny numbers, and offline, most of that audience just fades away. I mean even when I consider gaming in general, despite being a "billion dollar industry, bigger than music and movies COMBINED", the vast majority of people still don't even care all that much if the subject of games comes up, and there is so much out there that even when you do meet a gamer outside of a dedicated event it's unlikely you have anything in common beyond Call of Duty or Uncharted or something else super mainstream. I've never even been able to find people who care about GTAV despite it being "the most financially successful media title of all time."

So, if I'm being realistic about the general public's interest in limited games, I'd assume LRG's convention turnout is probably a lot higher than what their "pop-up shop" will be since those are already large (niche to the general public) gaming/geek-focused events with a lot to see and do and play and buy, with thousands of attendees who are there because there is a lot to see and do and play and buy. That's the kind of audience that, without knowing about LRG in advance (that they will be there or of their existence at all), might care when they see a booth selling indie games. But the REAL general public in some town in North Carolina that normally never has any notable gaming events anybody has heard of, a la PAX, at some mall, for one weekend, for the first time? I just can't see the locals living and breathing LRG the way our small slice of the internet does, and I can't see anything close to the sum total of LRG's customer-base let alone PAX numbers travelling to said mall to buy a few exclusive gam-... or should I say... cover variants of games, and some others that have been out before and may or may not be damaged to an unknown degree. Especially when you consider that these games (individually at least) are dirt cheap at retail compared to non-indie games, and the customer-base might be cheap too (nothing wrong with that) since I do see a lot of penny-pinching talk from this crowd. I don't expect very many limited print collectors to be jet setters*. There are clearly some wealthy people since some people have absolutely insane collection sizes, and some scalpers DO end up getting hundreds or even thousands for some games, and those people might be willing to travel just to go visit LRG, the guests and fellow die-hard collectors/LRG idolizers, but the majority of limited collectors? I doubt it. I mean I'm a life-long avid gamer and I can't even be bothered to go to any gaming events, even when they're close, let alone spend the time and money to travel to get a few exclusives and any games I've missed that are probably on eBay, even if inflated, for less than the cost of travel.

I guess this will be a new scenario in the sense that it's THEM running/headlining the event rather than just attending something bigger that will already attract a lot of people. This will be the true test of how much interest they, specifically, have in the real world without any side attractions to diversify the experience and make a trip worth it (no offense to the guests but I've never heard of them). And with it being a clearance, they probably WILL bring the full load of (old) inventory. The exclusive variant covers though? They will probably hold some back like always for the website.

So... I'll laugh if it's a bloodbath (especially of out of state/international people who care waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much) or if it's dead slow and it sinks in for everyone how small our community actually is.

*jet setter: A member of the "jet set," a group of people who possess the leisure time, money and/or frequent flier miles to take plane trips whenever they want, to where ever they want.
Such as to go shopping in very exclusive (and expensive) stores around the world.

Don't let any of that dissuade you from going though if you were planning to. If you have the means and it matters that much to you, and you believe stuff will sell out quickly or if you just want to load up on inventory for your own super secret scalping operation, have at it.
Last edited by fgsfds100 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
fgsfds100
LRG Super Fan

Postby mr. Hyde » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:19 am

fgsfds100 wrote:Having never been to an LRG ev-... or should I say... event that LRG attends, or even read about them after the fact, I don't know what kind of in-person turnout they get.

It seems like they always have stock to put up on the site after such events so they clearly aren't selling out while there. Or maybe they do sell out but deliberately limit the stock they bring so there will be some left for the site (thoughtful of them if so). The PAX variant of Rabi-Ribi was said to be 600 copies for each platform but the website had like 300 of each on sale later. Yes, it sold out really fast on the site, but the fact that it made it there at all, despite the pessimistic predictions of some people, is noteworthy. The 2019 PAX merch (Snatcher and Shantae animation OSTs, Shantae GBC box and stickers, and the pins and trading cards for Mighty Switch Force, Shantae, River City Girls and Vitamin Connection) each had TONS of remaining stock (ranging from 50-90% for each item) according to the alleged numbers produced and the remaining inventory quantities in the site's source code, and most of it took forever to sell. I'm pretty sure PAX exclusives from previous years also made it to the site in their respective years but it wasn't stuff I cared about and was too long ago for me to remember now. In short, as with every other time, the preemptive anger about missing out seems too pessimistic.

Frankly, despite also being in this echo chamber with all of you in thinking we're up against the whole world (or the slightly more realistic much smaller gaming world) when trying to buy this stuff, I try to remind myself that this whole limited print thing is still actually very, very niche and the issue is that there are several thousand people online, globally, fighting over only a few thousand of each release. Absolutely tiny numbers, and offline, most of that audience just fades away. I mean even when I consider gaming in general, despite being a "billion dollar industry, bigger than music and movies COMBINED", the vast majority of people still don't even care all that much if the subject of games comes up, and there is so much out there that even when you do meet a gamer outside of a dedicated event it's unlikely you have anything in common beyond Call of Duty or Uncharted or something else super mainstream. I've never even been able to find people who care about GTAV despite it being "the most financially successful media title of all time."

So, if I'm being realistic about the general public's interest in limited games, I'd assume LRG's convention turnout is probably a lot higher than what their "pop-up shop" will be since those are already large (niche to the general public) gaming/geek-focused events with a lot to see and do and play and buy, with thousands of attendees who are there because there is a lot to see and do and play and buy. That's the kind of audience that, without knowing about LRG in advance (that they will be there or of their existence at all), might care when they see a booth selling indie games. But the REAL general public in some town in North Carolina that normally never has any notable gaming events anybody has heard of, a la PAX, at some mall, for one weekend, for the first time? I just can't see the locals living and breathing LRG the way our small slice of the internet does, and I can't see anything close to the sum total of LRG's customer-base let alone PAX numbers travelling to said mall to buy a few exclusive gam-... or should I say... cover variants of games, and some others that have been out before and may or may not be damaged to an unknown degree. Especially when you consider that these games (individually at least) are dirt cheap at retail compared to non-indie games, and the customer-base might be cheap too (nothing wrong with that) since I do see a lot of penny-pinching talk from this crowd. I don't expect very many limited print collectors to be jet setters*. There are clearly some wealthy people since some people have absolutely insane collection sizes, and some scalpers DO end up getting hundreds or even thousands for some games, and those people might be willing to travel just to go visit LRG, the guests and fellow die-hard collectors/LRG idolizers, but the majority of limited collectors? I doubt it. I mean I'm a life-long avid gamer and I can't even be bothered to go to any gaming events, even when they're close, let alone spend the time and money to travel to get a few exclusives and any games I've missed that are probably on eBay, even if inflated, for less than the cost of travel.

I guess this will be a new scenario in the sense that it's THEM running/headlining the event rather than just attending something bigger that will already attract a lot of people. This will be the true test of how much interest they, specifically, have in the real world without any side attractions to diversify the experience and make a trip worth it (no offense to the guests but I've never heard of them). And with it being a clearance, they probably WILL bring the full load of (old) inventory. The exclusive variant covers though? They will probably hold some back like always for the website.

So... I'll laugh if it's a bloodbath (especially of out of state/international people who care waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much) or if it's dead slow and it sinks in for everyone how small our community actually is.

*jet setter: A member of the "jet set," a group of people who possess the leisure time, money and/or frequent flier miles to take plane trips whenever they want, to where ever they want.
Such as to go shopping in very exclusive (and expensive) stores around the world.

Don't let any of that dissuade you from going though if you were planning to. If you have the means and it matters that much to you, and you believe stuff will sell out quickly or if you just want to load up on inventory for your own super secret scalping operation, have at it.
how did you get the idea they ahd 300 rabi ribi up the site? pretty sure it where less then 50
Image Image
mr. Hyde
Ultimate Fan

Next

Return to Limited Run Discussion