• Who is online

Suggest new releases and discuss past and upcoming releases.

Postby mthodmn101 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Soera wrote:is up with all the people talking about how much they dislike this game or that game? Does the phrase "If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all" apply to the internet society anymore? Ive never played Dear Esther (may check it out when it arrives ... my backlog is massive but heard that its a quick playthrough) but some of the comments on both this site and another one that has an LRG thread seem to bring out the crap talking like no other game before. And when people talk down about a game, the people that created the game could potentially be reading that and in turn could deny their other games to be brought physical cause of it.

In other words, if you dont like a game, no one really cares and stfu about it. You could be stopping games other people like from making it here.

If it stops crappy games from being released, I am all for talking down on games you don't like...
mthodmn101
Physical Champion

Postby televandalist » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Even though it would be controversial and probably end up being taken down, I always thought it would be interesting to have an "(Un)official LRG Blacklist Thread" where we vote on games we hope don't get the LRG treatment. Games that would give LRG completionist collectors a second thought. Stuff like Coffin Dodgers, My Name is Mayo, Orc Slayer, etc.

Developers should know that they can't please everyone and if everything crumbles for them due to forum posts, they're probably in the wrong business. I think as long as Doug and Josh distanced themselves from that thread and just let everyone blow off steam, there wouldn't be any harm done.
televandalist
I want to believe

Postby BuraddoRun » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Soera wrote:Apparently people are missing the point. There is a difference between "Im not interested in that game" and "I hate this game. Its the worst product that has been available so far and I hope it doesnt sell out at all". What is the purpose of the second post? And yes, there actually is a post that is almost word for word exactly what I said.

I still have to respectfully disagree. It's a discussion, point, sure, regarding just how negatively you react to a game publicly. But even harsh, negative opinions are still that: opinions. It may get tiresome, hearing some nasty things people say, but if you feel strongly opposed to a negative comment, either ignore it or post your opposing opinion.

I'm not saying this about you, but rather just in general: the world today has become too soft.We are too dependent on hearing things that tickle our ears and don't want to hear any criticism. But it is criticism that drives us to be better. Patting our heads just leads us to keep things the same.

LRG needs to hear good and bad from their consumers. Then they can gauge the majority's opinion and better decide the viability of future signings. For now, everything has been gravy and they've sold out of every release. But there may come a time in the future where the power of limited availability reaches its tipping point, where oversaturation becomes a thing. If that happens, then the only way for LRG to stay viable will be to release quality games. Certainly, LRG feels all of their releases have been quality. But quality, in this sense, is an opinion, and LRG doesn't buy up their own stock. They have to depend on the honest feedback from the consumers to determine what types of games they continue to release.

All that said, there are lots of consumers, and lots of opinions. So if "walking simulators" aren't the choice game for many, maybe those releases will have fewer copies available, whereas RPGs will have higher amounts.

TLDR: Don't censor people! Let the negative nillies speak, and either ignore them if you don't like it or respond in turn with your own opinion. It's always good to hear words from both sides. Plus, if you personally hate hearing it, in a forum you have the ability to tune it out. :D

televandalist wrote:Even though it would be controversial and probably end up being taken down, I always thought it would be interesting to have an "(Un)official LRG Blacklist Thread" where we vote on games we hope don't get the LRG treatment....Stuff like My Name is Mayo...

ANYTHING with mayo in it would get a definite downvote from me. :lol:
Last edited by BuraddoRun on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby BuraddoRun » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Everyone has a right to his or her own opinion. However, there's a difference between having an opinion & crapping on things you don't like. We all have different tastes in games (or interactive media). Just because you have a "right" to express your opinion doesn't mean you have to or need to do so. All you're doing when you bitch & complain is showing how close-minded & ignorant you truly are. It's pretty fricken sad to be honest.

Josh & Douglas are clearly working hard on selecting a wide-variety of game types to release to try and please the masses. The last thing they need to be reading is negative comments from a few of the vocal minority who have nothing better to do than to throw a tantrum because they're not being catered to. Grow the f up!!!

But see that isn't always the case. I'm not trying to start arguments with anybody, but rather am just trying to point to perspective. We do all have different tastes, true, so 1 person may hate a game that the other likes. But stating an opinion, no matter how harsh, is NOT crapping on something. If someone hated a game, so they intercepted a Sony truck and destroyed all copies of it, THAT would be crapping on something. Just saying, "I hate this; please stop selling things like this; I'm not buying this and I hope it doesn't sell out" are all opinions, no matter how harsh or hateful they seem. There is a REASON they say things like that. They think, "if this game doesn't sell well, then LRG will see I'm right and won't release games like this again." But guess what? The reverse is true. If the game they hate sells out in mere minutes, then maybe they'll see that their opinion isn't shared by all and in fact IS in demand enough to warrant future games that are similar.

NONE of us "need" or "have" to share our opinions. Whether our opinions are good or bad, the statement is equally true for both sides.

Bitching and complaining doesn't necessarily mean you're close-minded. The same could be said of people that try to shut down complainers. Their being close-minded by demanding that naysayers shut up. Bitching and complaining simply means you feel passionately on the negative side of something. Again, this feeling is just as powerful as feeling passionately positive about something.

Josh and Douglas should most certainly listen to certain negative comments, if they want to be wise about their business. I'm not talking about the asshats who call them names or whatever, but rather the harsh complainers. If it truly is a minority, then the positive shouts will outnumber and out-shout the negatives. But ignoring ALL negative stuff is just not wise.

The main thing to remember is that it is ALL opinion. And opinions will differ. Whichever side of a discussion has the most agreed opinion will stand out, and better help LRG to take those opinions with them for future releases.

***Edit: My quoted post was deleted while I was typing a response. As such,I've removed the name of the original poster as he obviously chose to remove it himself. That said, I still think the discussion is important, so I didn't delete my reply. I know I'm pretty long-winded about all this, but I think it's an important discussion not just for LRG, but for many things in life.
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby LimitedRunDouglas » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:06 pm

When I saw the "I hope this game doesn't even sell out" comment I was and am against that kind of hate.

Doing well on this game meant maybe, just maybe we could convince Sony to let us do Everybody's Gone to Rapture.

Also, why can't a gem like Mayo get a physical treatment from us? :P
Limited Run's Uncle

LimitedRunDouglas
Founder

Postby Xenogears » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:14 pm

LimitedRunDouglas wrote:Also, why can't a gem like Mayo get a physical treatment from us? :P

Only 1000 copies, 500 vita 500 ps4, LRG ticket reward. I'm in!
Xenogears
Physical Champion

Postby BuraddoRun » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:18 pm

LimitedRunDouglas wrote:When I saw the "I hope this game doesn't even sell out" comment I was and am against that kind of hate.

Doing well on this game meant maybe, just maybe we could convince Sony to let us do Everybody's Gone to Rapture.

But how is that comment "hate," at least towards LRG? I mean, to be fair, I didn't see that specific comment, so maybe it was hateful towards you guys, but it could have really been more hateful to the game. Are there any games you hate? There are games I hate. There are movies I hate. Hating things is not the same as hating people. I wouldn't ever make a comment like that personally, even if I did ever hate a game you release, but I don't think it's a statement that should be banned or anything like that.

To me, "I hope this game doesn't even sell out" is more akin to "I hope this fails so LRG can see how bad a choice this release is and doesn't do it again." But the thing is that THAT person may have to see the reality that their opinion is not shared by all. Just because they don't want games like Dear Esther or Everybody's Gone to Rapture doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way. So when Dear Esther sells out on Day 1, they'll see that their opinion is a minority and didn't affect sales or future signings in a meaningful way. Other people have opinions, too, and if the positives outweigh the negatives, then LRG did right (assuming people are being honest of course).

I guess my point is that harshly negative opinions aren't inherently bad. They're just strong opinions is all. If that person did something like hack the website to intentionally cause damage, that's a different story. But just hoping for something, even if negative, to make a change that they personally feel is positive, is not inherently hateful.

Am I making sense?
BuraddoRun
Ultimate Fan

Postby eR1c » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:57 pm

Several thoughts going around here, i'll voice a few comments.

First these are forums, the point of the forums is to discuss games and specifically the games LRG's releases. If you like the games great, if not no big deal ..this IS the place to discuss it whether positive or negative.

Second, there are tons of games out there, not everyone is going to like every game. I know there are games I love and games I hate. Its not LRG's fault, ...they are providing physical copies for us and you can purchase what you want and skip those you don't.

To state that you hope a game doesn't sell out, ..now that is just stupid. Seriously, its like saying I hope the pilot crashes the plane because I don't like where its going. I mean, if games don't sell out then you can bet that in time dev's and LRG's will stop releasing, and that would not serve us fans very well. Be thankful that game sales are strong on all fronts ...it only helps us all.
eR1c
Physical Warrior

Postby DirtyOldDingus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:39 pm

LimitedRunDouglas wrote:When I saw the "I hope this game doesn't even sell out" comment I was and am against that kind of hate.

Please do convince them as its a marvellous game or Dear Esther will look lonely on my shelf without its team mate.
DirtyOldDingus
Physical Warrior

Postby JPar1980 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:47 pm

For both PS4 and Vita, please.

Last I checked, nobody is twisting anybody's arm to buy from LRG. It's an individual choice. I choose to buy what I can when I can. With a wife and 3 kids, I have other priorities that are much more important than my video games. If people want to hate on LRG for doing something that few other companies have the guts to do, then I doubt those people will be long term customers. They are probably the same people that complain loudly when the games sell out before they get their copy.
Until I had kids, I never thought I would ever say the sentence, "I will not hug you until you wipe your butt and put your pants back on."
JPar1980
I want to believe

Postby LimitedRunDouglas » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:50 pm

eR1c wrote:Several thoughts going around here, i'll voice a few comments.

First these are forums, the point of the forums is to discuss games and specifically the games LRG's releases. If you like the games great, if not no big deal ..this IS the place to discuss it whether positive or negative.

Second, there are tons of games out there, not everyone is going to like every game. I know there are games I love and games I hate. Its not LRG's fault, ...they are providing physical copies for us and you can purchase what you want and skip those you don't.

To state that you hope a game doesn't sell out, ..now that is just stupid. Seriously, its like saying I hope the pilot crashes the plane because I don't like where its going. I mean, if games don't sell out then you can bet that in time dev's and LRG's will stop releasing, and that would not serve us fans very well. Be thankful that game sales are strong on all fronts ...it only helps us all.

^ I agree with this thinking if a game doesn't sell out especially one with a big name like Dear Esther it cause doubt here and with devs. It means smaller print runs or maybe we don't go after huge games anymore due to the fear of not doing them justice. The person who wrote that they hope it doesn't sell out wanted Dear Esther to fail due to their personal feelings which I think is over the top. You could just say meh I hated it and won't buy it, vs saying no one should be able to enjoy it.
Limited Run's Uncle

LimitedRunDouglas
Founder

Postby Squarehard » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Difference between constructive criticism, and complaining with malice.
Squarehard
Physical Warrior

Postby harbel » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Grow up :roll: If we we spouted nothing but rainbows all day every day, this place would be boring as hell
harbel
True Believer

Postby Izzyjosheff » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:42 pm

harbel wrote:Grow up :roll: If we we spouted nothing but rainbows all day every day, this place would be boring as hell

I disagree, but to each his own.
Izzyjosheff
Physical Champion

Postby Soera » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:53 pm

I have to say that this is basically what I was trying to start this thread with. There are tons of games I cant stand. Saying that you hope that LRG loses money on a game cause you dont like it makes no sense whatsoever.
Soera
Physical Champion

Postby VoltronsGrundle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:01 pm

LOL! Please don't do Mayo. Unless of course it's a $10 release considering it is 99 cents digitally. I must say I platinumed that game for S&G's and I feel like a whore!
LRG is far better than stooping to the level of Mayo. I have to much love and respect for the brand to allow it!
I have SPOKEN!
Defender of the Universe
VoltronsGrundle
I want to believe

Postby VoltronsGrundle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:07 pm

LimitedRunDouglas wrote:

^ I agree with this thinking if a game doesn't sell out especially one with a big name like Dear Esther it cause doubt here and with devs. It means smaller print runs or maybe we don't go after huge games anymore due to the fear of not doing them justice. The person who wrote that they hope it doesn't sell out wanted Dear Esther to fail due to their personal feelings which I think is over the top. You could just say meh I hated it and won't buy it, vs saying no one should be able to enjoy it.

Im just shocked that a glorified tech demo is even considered a game. Much less a "big game".
I don't wish any ill will though. I hope it sells out immediately so I can stop reading about it on the forums and we can instead focus on the next releases from the wonderful folks at LRG! I am hopeful that the trend of me being excited for most releases from LRG continues as opposed to what happened this week. These two aren't for me and thats okay. I'm sure the next 10 will be!
Defender of the Universe
VoltronsGrundle
I want to believe

Postby VoltronsGrundle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Soera wrote:

I have to say that this is basically what I was trying to start this thread with. There are tons of games I cant stand. Saying that you hope that LRG loses money on a game cause you dont like it makes no sense whatsoever.

You probably just should have said that instead of seemingly going the far leftist route of trying to censor everyone you don't agree with b/c you don't think they should be allowed to speak their mind unless it is something that gives everyone digital hugs and kisses.
Just my deux pennies.
Defender of the Universe
VoltronsGrundle
I want to believe

Postby winds » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:20 pm

While I agree spewing hate comments and posting about not wanting certain games to sell is really destructive... I'll play devils advocate and say that some companies love when users post controversial messages like that. It usually creates more discussion and traffic which for most companies, especially smaller ones like LRG that are still relatively new, can be really beneficial.
winds
True Believer

Postby Geo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:15 pm

harbel wrote:Grow up :roll: If we we spouted nothing but rainbows all day every day, this place would be boring as hell

In that case, go fuck yourself up the ass with a dildo wrapped in rainbow painted barbed wire. :)
Geo
Physical Champion

Postby supercutz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Soera wrote:"If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all"

Not enough people watch Bambi anymore.
supercutz
Physical Champion

Postby kupomogli » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:25 am

108 Stars wrote:Makes little sense to me to not talk about it. This IS a forum, a place for discussion. No conflicting opinions, no point to a forum.
kupomogli
Physical Champion

Postby bmcphail » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:09 am

I've raised similar concerns previously and for me, I take issue with people who just consistently complain about LRG, their policies, the games they release and every other thing under the sun and never have anything constructive to add or contribute. I mean I understand that people need to vent and sometimes criticism can help improve things. Having said that, LRG seems to attract some of the worst kind of baseless criticism and I don't think I would have the strength to deal with the negative garbage people send their way if I was in their shoes. In addition, it seems like much of the negative feedback on particular games comes from people that have never played them or just feel like smaller indie games are not worthy of physical release at all. Frankly, I've enjoyed every game LRG has released and for $25 on average, I will continue to buy whatever they put out, even if it means I end up with some games from genres I wouldn't ordinarily buy. I don't think people need to be censored but I hope people think about what they are posting before they click "submit" and avoid being negative just for the sake of being negative as that kind of energy isn't helpful or interesting.
bmcphail
Physical Champion

Postby Geo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:29 am

I just keep buying games that look interesting and skip the ones I don't feel like playing. I still don't know what's so hard about this idea for people to grasp. If you don't like it, don't buy it. That simple...
Geo
Physical Champion

Postby MadMax33 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:52 am

joenemesis wrote:
Geo wrote:*shrugs*

I stick to my standard - I want to play this game, or I don't want to play this game. It's not like LRG is releasing No Man's Sky, in which case I could see room for true complaints. (My only regret in game buying in 28 years)

That is a good standard sir. My gaming regret was Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I think it's proper to talk about positives and negatives of things, on and offline. Discussions would be pretty short if we didn't.

If it werent for the ever so many bugs and glitches I encountered, the game would of been *slightly* better. Stupid friendly AI constantly getting stuck or blocking the doorway, uhh I hated that. But the scenery was nice from what I remember. Angry Joe did a review on it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGX2WE4QUw8) many years ago. Quite funny.
MadMax33
I want to believe

PreviousNext

Return to Limited Run Discussion