• Who is online

A PS4 dedicated forum?! YES!

Postby Ancestral_Spirit » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:47 am

Ok so it's not the biggest amount of censorship going, but i still don't understand why it was done!!!
Minor spoilers for anyone who wants to play the game, but you're about to see a naked lady's butt:

https://twinfinite.net/2019/03/devil-ma ... sored-ps4/

The image in question that's been censored, is in the link in the article.

If anyone buys DMC 5 and gets to this point in the game, can they please confirm that it is indeed playable without the day 1 patch, and that it is uncensored without it? Otherwise this is going to be the first DMC in the entire series i outright refuse to buy, because this is fucking ridiculous :/

Currently Playing:

Superbeat Xonic - Vita - What is it with rhythm games being so damned hard!?
A Rose in the Twilight - Vita - The extra dungeon is so damn frustrating! Such a sad idea for a game :_(
Warframe - PS4 - The only sorta MMO i've ever started, and i love it! :D
The Last Guardian - Threw some curveball story moments, and now some curveball trophies >.<
Heart no Kuni no Alice Anniversary Edition - PC - What a sweet hare! Er, i mean DOG, please don't shoot me Elliot! :O
Ancestral_Spirit
LRG Super Fan

Postby Best1989 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:11 am

While I get your stance on censorship, I think this a very tame case. I wonder how bad is the censorship in the other scene they mention in the article.

Games have been censored since the beginning of times, and in my case I'm not going to stop myself from playing a good game just because of not being able to see a butt. At least there are uncensored versions, so I guess that people really bothered with this can go Xbone/PC.
Best1989
Ultimate Fan

Postby qui_suis » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Got to af.it that purpme light look ugly has hell and dont even fit the game.
NEW LIMITED RUN GAMES FAN!
no matter Josh or Doug if there is competitor rest assure i always be the #1 FAN in my heart
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby nosaveddata » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:26 pm

I'm glad they censored that butt. I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night seeing a naked ladies bum. :shock:
nosaveddata
Ultimate Fan

Postby qui_suis » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:56 pm

nosaveddata wrote:I'm glad they censored that butt. I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night seeing a naked ladies bum. :shock:

Butt why?? ;)
no matter Josh or Doug if there is competitor rest assure i always be the #1 FAN in my heart
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby Ancestral_Spirit » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:40 pm

Best1989 wrote:While I get your stance on censorship, I think this a very tame case. I wonder how bad is the censorship in the other scene they mention in the article.

Games have been censored since the beginning of times, and in my case I'm not going to stop myself from playing a good game just because of not being able to see a butt. At least there are uncensored versions, so I guess that people really bothered with this can go Xbone/PC.

That's not really my only issue with this particular piece of censorship.

1. It only seems to be happening to Japanese games from what i can tell, you get to see full on wang and ass in The Order 1886 (fantastic game btw) and that's a western title. GTA allows you to bang hookers and get a 1st person view of a private dancer wearing barely anything and that's perfectly fine. One naked ladies ass in a Japanese title STOP THE PRESSES IT NEEDS TO BE CENSORED!!!!

2. When does the censorship end? Are we going to have to have The Last of Us 2 censored because 2 lesbians share an intimate kiss?

3. My biggest criticism on this piece of censorship? They made the game, and got it rated, then released it. So everything should have been a-ok if it's already been looked at by the ratings board and subsequently released right? NOPE, this was censored AFTER it was rated and AFTER it was released in a day one patch. Who's to say more of your games that got through their ratings won't now have content retroactively censored out?
I mean it's already happened:
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/11/s ... ugs/71362/
And it literally broke the game, the game was retroactively patched and it broke the game entirely.

Who's to say more games that worked before, and you happily played thinking that all your content is safe, won't eventually have some of that content patched out?
If you pay full price for a games, and then have parts of that game removed, isn't this form of censorship 'stealing' content YOU paid for?

Currently Playing:

A Rose in the Twilight - Vita - The extra dungeon is so damn frustrating! Such a sad idea for a game :_(
The Last Guardian - Threw some curveball story moments, and now some curveball trophies >.<
Heart no Kuni no Alice Anniversary Edition - PC - What a sweet hare! Er, i mean DOG, please don't shoot me Elliot! :O
Ancestral_Spirit
LRG Super Fan

Postby Dr. Robotnik » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:26 pm

While it may be minor, I really hate this entire mentality that those buying the game in the first place are people they feel need to have censored content for. You have an M rating, the people that will mostly be buying this will be around/over that age. Do these publishers still feel that an adult needs to be coddled and have their content limited? Is a 30 year old man going to become mentally scarred from looking at a bare ass? I can get taking a cigarette out of a characters mouth for a game intended for children to play (though I rather the rating be increased depending on the region, rather then content removal), but what even the hell is the point of content censorship for something an adult plays/watches/reads/etc?
Dr. Robotnik
Ultimate Fan

Postby Best1989 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:39 am

Yeah, I don't get why they censored it that way. If it already had a rating and the audience is supposed to be a mature one, this doesn't make too much sense. Who knows what Sony was thinking with this...
Best1989
Ultimate Fan

Postby Sverd » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Sony has been doing all sorts of stupid shit since they moved their HQ to California, I wonder if there's a link... :roll:
Sverd
Physical Champion

Postby qui_suis » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:50 pm

here a clip from PC and then PS4 i did not like the pic but looking at the video PS4 make my eye bledding... it ugly has hell what they did......

spoil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=131&v=nupFJPaAn9s
qui_suis
Ultimate Fan

Postby Soera » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:33 pm

The outcry of this "censorship" is unreal. Its a 2 second shot of a digital piece of ass. Why is everyone blowing up over it? It doesnt take anything away from the game. I think too many people are ready to cry foul at the smallest thing now. If people didnt know it wasnt blocked by a light reflection originally, who the fuck would even care?

Dont get me wrong, I hate censorship. But this giant backlash of people writing off Sony for life is a bit over the top.
Soera
Ultimate Fan

Postby Dante2k4 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:33 am

Soera wrote:The outcry of this "censorship" is unreal. Its a 2 second shot of a digital piece of ass. Why is everyone blowing up over it? It doesnt take anything away from the game. I think too many people are ready to cry foul at the smallest thing now. If people didnt know it wasnt blocked by a light reflection originally, who the fuck would even care?

Dont get me wrong, I hate censorship. But this giant backlash of people writing off Sony for life is a bit over the top.

Nobody gives a shit that they gave her booty the ray of light treatment, what people are irritated about is that Sony bothered to do it in the first place.

If the game was simply designed in that way and they wanted to shield our virgin eyes from digital butt, then fine. I don't really care. It's not important in the slightest. The reason I'm irritated is because Sony is acting like a little bitch over total nothing. What kind of puritanical nonsense is this? We can't see a brief glimpse of an ass in an M-Rated game? Who made this decision? Why is this a thing?

I'm not sure about "writing Sony off for life" or whatever, but I do think it's a dumb thing that deserves some backlash. They need to stop interfering with other peoples' work for a cause that nobody is interested in. Treating their customers like children, especially in an M-Rated game, just isn't acceptable, imo.
Dante2k4
LRG Super Fan

Postby Soera » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Dante2k4 wrote:
Soera wrote:The outcry of this "censorship" is unreal. Its a 2 second shot of a digital piece of ass. Why is everyone blowing up over it? It doesnt take anything away from the game. I think too many people are ready to cry foul at the smallest thing now. If people didnt know it wasnt blocked by a light reflection originally, who the fuck would even care?

Nobody gives a shit that they gave her booty the ray of light treatment, what people are irritated about is that Sony bothered to do it in the first place.

If the game was simply designed in that way and they wanted to shield our virgin eyes from digital butt, then fine. I don't really care. It's not important in the slightest. The reason I'm irritated is because Sony is acting like a little bitch over total nothing. What kind of puritanical nonsense is this? We can't see a brief glimpse of an ass in an M-Rated game? Who made this decision? Why is this a thing?

I'm not sure about "writing Sony off for life" or whatever, but I do think it's a dumb thing that deserves some backlash. They need to stop interfering with other peoples' work for a cause that nobody is interested in. Treating their customers like children, especially in an M-Rated game, just isn't acceptable, imo.

Fair enough, I accept that. And I wasnt quite referring to anyone that posted here. Ive looked at a few other forums and some of the responses were beyond a level of rationality for what was done.
Soera
Ultimate Fan

Postby supercutz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Censorship always deserves backlash.
supercutz
LRG Super Fan

Postby kupomogli » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:24 am

@Soera

I don't agree with the people complaining about the censorship, but as a business, Sony should quit with the bullshit. Most people are sheep and a lot of these people already feel ill will against Sony due to the whole Microsoft/Nintendo white knighting about crossplay debacle which is included in a whole four games across Microsoft and Nintendo platforms.

Sony is just making their image look bad because these ridiculous decisions they're making. When haven't people complained about video games? These people probably have no interest in video games, their children grew up to be cracked out drug addicts, and hey, let's blame video games for our shitty parenting. Sony should have more sense than that, but the people now in charge don't. These are the same people who have ran the rest of their businesses into the ground. I guess Playstation is next.
kupomogli
Ultimate Fan

Postby tokyobassist » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Gameplay is too sick for me to worry about lens flared asses.

It's not like content got cut from the game due to censorship but you do you.
tokyobassist
Physical Champion

Postby fgsfds100 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Censorship sucks, those demanding it deserve a swift hard kick in the ass and those caving to it deserve a slap across the face. But if a project is good enough on its own, and up my alley, I'll still go for it. Not without criticism of their cowardice to political correctness though.

At least this isn't a severe case. A lens flare is less bad than putting something more obnoxious in the way or adding clothing which wouldn't have suited the scene, and they didn't cut the scene entirely. So I won't burn my PlayStations or even boycott over this, but I won't forget either. Also I take solace knowing that whenever politically correct people try to create something themselves, it invariably bombs hard.

Possibly related: I'm super late in hearing about Sony not attending E3 this year, but I almost wonder if it's because they want to dodge the BOOing from the audience after ending Vita card production before demand ended, censoring so many 3rd-party games lately, and the lack of true 4K on the PS4 Pro. Their bad decisions are starting to add up. I doubt those had anything to do with it since it would just create a new reason to BOO later, but breaking their 24 year streak is pretty strange. But it seems too early for a tangible (ie. more than "yes we're working on it but have nothing to show") PS5 announcement anyway.
fgsfds100
I want to believe

Postby panzermanathod » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:39 pm

fgsfds100 wrote:Possibly related: I'm super late in hearing about Sony not attending E3 this year, but I almost wonder if it's because they want to dodge the BOOing from the audience after ending Vita card production before demand ended, censoring so many 3rd-party games lately, and the lack of true 4K on the PS4 Pro. Their bad decisions are starting to add up. I doubt those had anything to do with it since it would just create a new reason to BOO later, but breaking their 24 year streak is pretty strange. But it seems too early for a tangible (ie. more than "yes we're working on it but have nothing to show") PS5 announcement anyway.

You already have a bunch of people who didn't care about the Vita or thought it was already dead, the lack of true 4K isn't exactly a game breaker, and while the game censoring is of concern I honestly don't think there would be a bunch of people booing Sony over some light rays.

Sony has made some bad decisions but this stuff isn't really all that bad in comparison to some other things.

But as for Sony dropping off of E3, a number of people say it's E3 losing relevance (Nintendo already limited its presence in E3 and EA is not doing any press conferences in this coming E3 as well) and/or Sony not having enough they want to show.
panzermanathod
LRG Super Fan

Postby fgsfds100 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:08 pm

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/games/sony ... n-comments

Most of what's shown every year has never been my cup of tea anyway, and EA especially is no big loss for me.
fgsfds100
I want to believe

Postby Ancestral_Spirit » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:51 pm

tokyobassist wrote:Gameplay is too sick for me to worry about lens flared asses.

Again this isn't my biggest issue.
The game was rated and ready for release, got released and then retroactively patched censorship in on an M rated game. So the game was fine until..... suddenly it wasn't?
If it was already through the ratings process that means Sony must have looked at it and thought it was all A-OK, but then wanted it patched afterwards?

My point is, is that if a game can get an M rating, is subsequently released and then after everyone has paid for price for the damn thing, they then can have whatever it is they paid for patched out. As far as i'm concerned it's theft in a way, or at the very least a bait and switch.
Show people what they're getting, sell it to them for full price, and then edit what they paid for afterwards.

It may just be a butt crack here and there now, but with games like Mary Skelter 2 it was an entire game mechanic that makes it impossible to finish the game. Who's to say that won't happen in the future?

If it's an M rated game, that means it's MATURE PLAYERS ONLY, if MATURE players are getting offended by an ass crack and need it censored then they're quite clearly not mature enough to play and really shouldn't be buying M rated games in the first place :/

Currently Playing:

Ancestral_Spirit
LRG Super Fan

Postby supercutz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:15 pm

tokyobassist wrote:Gameplay is too sick for me to worry about lens flared asses.

That's not the point. Censorship should not be tolerated/ignored, ESPECIALLY in silly cases like this where it really served no real purpose at protecting anyone. It's only the PS4 version that got affected. That means Sony raised enough of a stink for Capcom to respond. All over a silly butt crack. No one is saying boycott the game but people need to voice their unhappiness about stupid crap like this. It is an M rated game filled with over-the-top gratuitous violence yet Sony felt inclined to shield our delicate little minds over an imaginary, digital character's butt crack? Wtf is the logic there?
supercutz
LRG Super Fan

Postby OneVurfedGwrx » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:41 pm

This is what happens when you put the US branch in charge of the whole organisation... I wonder if Japanese players will stop buying Sony once more censorship hits their shores that aren't censored on the likes of the Switch... At least Atlus was fully uo front with the Dungeon Travelers 2 stuff as an example... It still isn't that long ago that Europe used to get violence censorship that US didn't for lower age ratings (Beyond: Two Souls springs to mind...)
OneVurfedGwrx
Physical Champion

Postby Dante2k4 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:49 pm

So, I've now beaten this game, and I played it entirely offline, thus dodging that day one patch. The results are: It's totally fine. If you want to play this game and see Trish's booty-crack in all its incredibly brief and inconsequential glory, you totally can! I didn't experience any issues at all. It was great :]

Something I'm curious about though is that, earlier in the game there's a similar bit of sleight nudity with Lady, and it DOES have the strategically placed lense flare. My memory is foggy now, but I recall thinking it didn't really need to be censored like that. I'm curious, since it wasn't in the day one patch, if that means that ALL regions had that censorship for Lady? It wasn't a big deal or anything, and maybe it was actually covering something a little more lewd than my tired mind was noticing. I just found its presence interesting since I didn't have the patch, and the more publicized censoring (Trish) didn't end up being present.
Dante2k4
LRG Super Fan

Return to PlayStation 4